Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

100 Pound Journey Needing Motivation

Hey everyone, I know there are other threads about losing 100+ pounds, but they are old. So I'm making a new one.

I am 37 years old, and a mom to an awesome teenaged guy, as well as a dedicated wife to my fabulous husband. I currently work from home in the evenings and have all day to go out and exercise or just get up an moving. However, lacking the support from my husband makes self motivation hard. I ballooned up from 190 pounds to 334 in 9 years. I blame most of it on me and stress. I have worked hard in the past 3 years to get down to 310/315, but I need to do more and get back down to the 190 range.

I got my fitbit with points that I earned from work as a start to my motivation. I'm swapping out my office chair for a yoga ball to sit on to help strengthen my core muscles again.

If anyone is on the same journey that I am, please add me, and lets do this together!!

Moderator edit: format

Best Answer
29 REPLIES 29

Hi melis_crzygrl. We are in similiar boats. I am 37 and I need to lose over 100lbs. I am with a nice group if you want to check it out. The people are helpful and are at various stages of weight loss. Here is the link

https://www.fitbit.com/group/22CH6M

Best Answer

Hi there,

Just starting with the fitbit and a healter lifestyle and need to loose a lost (over 50 kg, 100+ lbs). With 37 years too young to say it is too late to start.

Due to health issues i havent been able to sport and with eating for every emotion it has come to a point of now or never.

So my start will be slow, but hopefully picking up pace 🙂

How about starting the journey together??

greets,
Moniek

Best Answer

I am 39 and have 90-100 lbs to lose.  I'm a single parent of 2 tween/teens and I work 50-60 hrs/week. I have no support system here, I moved away from my family for work 4 years ago.  In addition to my job as mom, I moonlight as a chauffeur driving my kids to their activities after school (too far for them to go by public transit).  Being a busy mom I know it's hard to find the time and motivation to eat right and exercise.  We were terrible for having Tim Horton's bagels for dinner from the drive-through on our way to gymnastics, cheerleading, choir, etc.  I'm making it part of my family's lifestyle, and I hope that makes it easier.  My kids have always been a healthy weight and one is a competitive athlete, I don't want them to grow into adulthood with bad habits that they learned from me!  I have to make exercise an "appointment" and write it into my schedule.  I'm also looking for ways to make it a family affair, like going for a walk together after dinner for 30 minutes, going to the sports center together, and encouraging them to bike to school on nice days (it's winter here 9 months of the year tough to bike with snow on the ground).  I'm also planning my family's weekly meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner) and grocery shop with that list, then I avoid buying any unnecessary junk.  I have a hard and fast rule these days about 'junk' in the house, aboslutely nothing in the house that will derail me.  Also no fast-food of any kind or drive throughs.  We are vegetarian, so that's fairly easy because all we can eat at fast-food places is the French fries.  My vices are Starbucks and breakfast sandwiches.  I try to organise things on weekends like cutting the vegetables, doing the baking for the week, and making double batches of foods that freeze well.  Failing to plan is planning fail 😃 

My kids are pretty supportive but some of the changes are not easy for them, i.e. no more Eggo waffles, I make my own protein waffles from scratch now and freeze them, no more muffins from Costco, I'll make my own, 2 fists full of non-starchy vegetables for every dinner.  All the make-my-own'ing is time consuming but I think with time I'll get faster and my kids can start to make the recipes too.  Soon I hope to give them 1 dinner per week to cook so they can practice healthy cooking. 

When I exercise, if I'm on a treadmill or other machine I watch episodes of Extreme Weightloss or Supersize vs Superskinny.  Totally cheese ball reality TV but other people's transformations motivate me, and sometimes the shows share good advice.  The worst is sitting down and watching, I feel too guilty, but if I'm exercising then I feel like I'm doing my own transformation 😃  Nothing good comes easy and anything worth doing is worth doing 110%.  I want to make lifestyle changes not diet.  I'm giving myself a year to get the weight off that I've put on the last 8 years.  So far I'm down about 9-lbs, so 90-lbs to go. Keep at it, we can do it!

Best Answer

Hi there! 

At the begenning of February I had had about 120lbs to lose, and I've been working hard to get down to a good number in a safe way. I've always been bigger and have successfully lost weight a few times for cosmetic reasons but I had a baby girl in November of 2013 and this time I'm set on losing weight the healthy way and keeping it off so I can be here for my family. As of now, I've got about 98lbs to lose and losing just those 22lbs has hugely motivated me (+2 inches off my waist,  holla!).

I just wanted to share a few things that have really helped me out.... obviously the fitbit has been amazing. Have you tried doing any challenges yet? For me the challenges have been HUGELY motivating; I'm pretty motivated by competition haha. The other thing that has been really good for me is meal planning along with several small shopping trips throughout the week. In fact my family has been doing so well with our clean eating that my husband has to buy new jeans! Although I have to be honest and say I kind of hate my husband for losing all that weight just because I'm feeding  him better even though he's on his bum pretty much all day lol. 

Good luck to you! If we stay strong and consistant we can totally do this! 

Best Answer

Hi!  I am in the 100+ club too!  🙂  I'd love to sync with you and encourage one another.  This is day three for me and it's NO JOKE.  I know I'll need some friends cheering me along.  So....Go us!  

Best Answer

I also have over 100 pounds to lose. I once lost 75 pounds and was keeping it off. Then, I moved far away from my family and friends, got homesick and depressed and gained it all back...and more. My boyfriend is great and very supportive of me but he doesn't follow a healthy lifestyle and it is so easy for me to fall into the same routine as him. I want to be healthy and active but staying motivated is difficult.

Best Answer

I am only 20 years old and I have gained over 50 pounds since starting school in August 2013. I used to dance 25 hours a week and I suddenly stopped when I moved. I blame my weight gain on that and stress.I'm looking to lose 100 pounds to hit a goal weight of 150. I am 5'9" and looking to have a healthy BMI. I have lost 4.8 pounds during my first two weeks. I'm really looking for some support. I live with my boyfriend who eats nothing but junk and I work 45 hours a week in addition to school.

Aspiring D-List celebrity and comedian in Chicago trying to get hot and healthy
Best Answer

Hello everybody! It's great to see that you are motivating each other to reach your goals. I just wanted to stop by to say, you can do it! Keep up the super stepping! Smiley Very Happy

Have you received the answer you were looking for? Choose the post as the best answer!

Hai ricevuto la risposta che stavi cercando? Accetta il post come soluzione!

¿Has recibido la respuesta que estabas buscando? ¡Acepta el post como solución!

Best Answer

Believe in your wonderful body and yourself, one step at a time lead to many..

Baby Goal

Best Answer
0 Votes

im trying to get down to 225 sw313cw288gw225 i cut out sugar in my diet and eat probably a dozen eggs a day and stick to fish dinners with veggies your muscles given the right foods will do alot of the work for you i stick to a strict eating schedule and its been working great ive lost 17% body fat in a month never eat after 3 hours before bed and set your calorie burn to 4k a day and stay under 2500 you will shed lbs 

Best Answer
I would love to know more!
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for starting up a new thread... I thought the same thing when I got my Fitbit in December.  Unfortunately, I have made zero progress and have a tough time getting motivated to begin.  I've done the diet research and have planned out some workouts, but just can't seem to pull the trigger.  

I work 2 jobs and in excess of 70 hours per week, and I feel like any time I spend on myself is time I should be spending with my family because I'm gone so much.  My wife stays home but is not just sitting around doing nothing - we have 2 kids with a high level of medical needs, so consistent sleep is another issue in my family.  Unfortunately, she has completely different dietary restrictions than I do, and one of my kids does as well - I feel like we make 3 different dinners every night!

My primary job has me sitting at a desk all day, and I keep gaining weight... looking to start today.  I'm going to the store and buying some veggies and protien.  Going to watch Game of Thrones tonight while I pre-make some salads in mason jars for my weekly lunches.  I'm also hoping to go out for a walk this evening and try to at least do my 10,000 steps every day.  I hope walking works, because I have never tried it in the past thinking it wouldn't be enough exercise to see any effects.

I'm 37 years old, 6 feet tall and weighed 288 lbs this morning.  I'd love to get below 180 lbs.  I felt the best I ever did when I was running all the time right after high school and weighed about 170.  It's going to be a long journey for sure, but I'm hoping to make consistent progress.  Maybe we can motivate one another.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thats awesome that you have that  motivation so far. I'm just now at the point where i've cut out all sodas from my diet, and I just cant seem to ween myself from Tea (sweet tea) and Coffee (oh Starbucks). I know its all in moderation, but its convincing myself when enough is enough! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi melis_crzygrl!!! I too am on this journey with you. I just got my FitBit today. I gained 87 lbs during my pregnancy, and desperately need to get back to a healthy weight so my husband and me can try again. Losing weight is tougher I've learned the older I get. I have joined a boot camp in hopes it helps me reach my goals faster. It definetely helps to have that motivation. I'm adding you to my friends (if I can figure this out) lol! Good luck on your journey....we can do this!!!

Best Answer

I added you and accepted you as a friend. Yes, the more partners in motivation we have the better the success rate! (IMHO).... 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Aw, keep your head up! You CAN do this!
Best Answer

You will feel so much better when you get a lot of the sugar and caffeine out of your body. I have learned to use stevia instead of sugar in my tea. I also use herbal tea blends now with lots of flavors, the mints, citris and berries are my favorites and the stevia lets me make it as sweet as I want. I really like the liquid options better for my drinks and use the powdered ones for other stuff. Once your body gets off sugar, you will be surprised at how good you will feel. I just read an article about research published March, 2015, at Mayo clinic where they have shown how bad added sugars are to your health (not natural ones found in fruits and veggies). High fructose corn syrup is the worst - very addictive! Be patient with yourself, getting off sugar and caffeine can lead to headaches if you do it all at once. I think you can  have 1-2 cups of caffiene a day, unless your health professional tells you otherwise. (I have a heart problem and had to give up caffiene, it was tough at first, but am used to it now. I can have a cup of green tea a day, that's it!)

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thank you so much what was the name of the book again I'm going to order it
and try it asap
Best Answer
0 Votes

remember weight loss starts with eating and exercise is for fitness.  So if you want to lose weight regulate what you eat.  I've lost 65lbs tracking what I eat with Myfitnesspal, and track my activity and exercises with the fitbit.  It's a complete life change and not just something that's temporary, and remember you can't outrun your fork.

Fitbit One + MyFitnessPal = - 100lbs
::You can't outrun your fork ::
Best Answer