Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

15% at a Time - Can anyone else relate?

I'm Cindy and I'm new to FitBit and the Community.  I've done lots of dieting over the years and nothing seemed to stick.  I got bored or hurt early on or found some excuse not to deal with my food addiction. And my weight spirals up.  Lose two pounds, go up four because I get bummed out or stressed out. When I hit that size 24 mark and the dreaded 3 number was getting very uncomfortably close to appearing on the scale.  I knew I had to do something.  I hurt all the time and don't like to be around people, even though I'm basically a friendly person.Something had to change.  And now.  I get married in 3 years and I want to wear a dress I buy from a normal size store.  We plan to honeymoon in Scotland and I want to be able to walk all day without getting worn out. The time is now.

So, over the last few months, I've made small changes. Got rid of diet soda. Cut down to one soda a day, period.  Started carrying around a water bottle at all times and drink over 100 ounces a day.  But it's the exercise portion that always fails me.  That, and I LOVE food.  Really.  Love. Food.

So a week ago, I got a FitBit.  My stepdaughter has one.  She posted screen shots of her progress and I did some research.  I made up my mind.  If I can't do it this way, I'm going to bite the bullet and get the lapband after the first of the year.  But I wanted to try one more time to do it on my own, without surgery.

This time. for the first time EVER, I've stuck to it for a week and didn't even get down on myself when I splurged at dinner and only hit 5,000+ steps today. I didn't give up.  Just acknowledged that my knees and calves were aching too badly to walk the 3 miles or do the remaining 7 flights of stairs.  Acknowledged that today was the 4th of July and it was okay to eat a brat and cheesecake instead of a turkey breast sandwich and a salad.  Tomorrow, I'll hit my 10,000 steps, which will put me well over the 70,000 step goal for the week.  I've stayed well under my calorie goal for the week, so the scale should smile at me when I step on it for the first time in a week first thing Monday.

This time, I'm doing it right.  15% at a time.  My first goal is 45 lbs., slightly over the 15% mark.  I'm shooting for 2 lbs. a week.  Then I'l go for another 15%.  And another.  And each time, I'll be that much closer to healthy, that much closer to being as confident about my outside as I feel inside.  

Do any of you have similar goals and experiences?

Best Answer
0 Votes
3 REPLIES 3

Welcome to the forums!

I think you have a great goal with 15% at a time!. It totally doable!

Keep us posted on your progress!

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

Well done!  Keep at it no matter the struggle what your mind is telling you.  It is tough in the begining but it gets better.

Best Answer

It sounds like you've got the right attitude going, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if you did really well!

Everyone has to come at this thing their own way.  Some people can go hardcore with their high school weight in mind.  Others have to make smaller changes and work toward a series of goals along the way.  Neither is right or wrong, just different.

Keep  up the good work!

FitBit One
"You should really wear a helmet."
5K 9/2015 - 36:59.57
Best Answer
0 Votes