Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any advice?

ANSWERED

Hello FitBit world!

I just got my fitbit today, so pardon me for any ignorance. . . 

I have been dieting and exercising for two weeks. I log all of my calories in "My Fitness Pal" an app for android. I eat 1200 or fewer calories daily, and spend 40-60 minutes a day doing cardio, and 20 minutes doing strength training (really, however long it takes to finish the muscle group, leg day, arm day, etc.)

My foods consist of protein shakes, fruits (peaches and apples only,) veggies, yogurt, grilled chicken breast, and that's about it. I stay away from bread, with the exception of my morning english muffin that i have before I go to the gym (I've read that carbs are good to have in your system going into the gym).

My question is, I have stayed at the same weight for the two weeks. Needless to say,I feel like I'm doing everything possible, which led me to buy the fitbit--- you know, maybe there's something I'm missing?

Some encouragement would be great, and any advice as to what more I can do, or if I am just at a plateau.

My calorie deficit daily is between 500 and 1400 pending the amount if cardio I get done. 🙂 I always make sure that I get all nutrients needed, always meeting my % daily values of all vitamins etc.

I currently way 210, at 5 ft 6in.

Thanks team! 

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

So even MFP without Fitbit corrections had you had 1410 on non-exercise days.

On exercise days even more.

With Fitbit correcting your estimate of daily activity, probably even more.

Here are some tips for that syncing.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10098937/faq-syncing-logging-food-exercise-calorie-a...

And I've found many that have done WW have put themselves in to that mode, and they have a long slow recovery out to get a healthy full-burning body back that is willing to work with them.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
11 REPLIES 11

@Halloweenham wrote:

Hello FitBit world!

I just got my fitbit today, so pardon me for any ignorance. . . 

I have been dieting and exercising for two weeks. I log all of my calories in "My Fitness Pal" an app for android. I eat 1200 or fewer calories daily, and spend 40-60 minutes a day doing cardio, and 20 minutes doing strength training (really, however long it takes to finish the muscle group, leg day, arm day, etc.)

My foods consist of protein shakes, fruits (peaches and apples only,) veggies, yogurt, grilled chicken breast, and that's about it. I stay away from bread, with the exception of my morning english muffin that i have before I go to the gym (I've read that carbs are good to have in your system going into the gym).

My question is, I have stayed at the same weight for the two weeks. Needless to say,I feel like I'm doing everything possible, which led me to buy the fitbit--- you know, maybe there's something I'm missing?

Some encouragement would be great, and any advice as to what more I can do, or if I am just at a plateau.

My calorie deficit daily is between 500 and 1400 pending the amount if cardio I get done. 🙂 I always make sure that I get all nutrients needed, always meeting my % daily values of all vitamins etc.

I currently way 210, at 5 ft 6in.

Thanks team! 

So great job making a eating change and exercise change.

But the side effect of exercise is usually water weight gain - especially lifting as water is retained for repair - if the workout was that good.

So first - valid weigh-in days to minimize known expected water weight fluctuations.

Morning after rest day eating normal sodium levels, not sore from last workout.

Second - Fitbit does NOT automatically give good estimates for strength training. You need to manually log that, on Fitbit is better - as Weights. Just make a wall posting on MFP about the workout for friends to see it, don't log it there.

Third - 1200 is bare minimum for merely getting in minimum requirements of nutritients for average sedentary female.

Are you anywhere near sedentary? Do you want minimum results doing bare minimum?

Set your goals realistically first, deficit goal on MFP, depends on amount of weight to lose. You didn't gain it fast, don't attempt to lose it fast.

Fat is not fast, gain or loss. Attempt to and you'll include muscle mass loss in there.

1000 cal deficit would be reasonable until down to 60 lbs left, then take the 750 deficit, or 1.5 lbs weekly.

Fourth - when using a reasonable weight loss goal, what MFP gives as eating goal is ONLY on non-exercise days when you ONLY burn what they estimated you would.

But using the Fitbit now, MFP will correct itself on that daily burn with calorie adjustments.

You burn more, you eat more.

So meet your eating goals, don't miss them, a goal is something to reach. Willing to miss your goal weight by say 20% and say close enough?

Fifth - 2 weeks is too short, though you should have had the normal water weight drop going in to a diet - unless you were already in a diet prior to starting this one.

Did you start the diet and exercise at same time?

The suggestion on eating correctly for level of activity is also because undereating too much stresses the body out, especially with what could be good workouts (could be, undereat and they can't be). Stressed body elevates cortisol, which can retain water, upwards of 20 lbs. Would that stress you out then?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.
Best Answer

Hey,

Thanks for responding!

I was dieting a week before I started out-- trying to make the transition easier! So, maybe that does account for the weight loss. I was at 122 before that week, but I figured the lbs lost from that total were water weight.

Also, I am confused about the "bare minimum" of 1200..do you mean I need to eat more or less? I set this goal with consultation from a personal trainer, so I thought it was a good one? 

And no, I am NOWHERE near sedentary. Though it is the summer, I am a teacher. I teach music, so I am literally always moving...especially with band camp coming up!

Thanks for the clarifications!

Best Answer
0 Votes

So if you have the Fitbit linked to MFP - your eating goal will be adjusted.

It should never be 1200, except on total rest days with no normal daily activity.

And if your trainer suggested 1200 and knows your daily activity and knows what your workout level is ...

Run away very fast. That speaks volumes to their thinking ability. Does that translate to their training of you?

I'll bet they shouldn't even be commenting on diet goals, even if they did include a course in the personal training program they took. Mine barely referenced nutrition - because you are suppose to refer someone to a dietician. And even those folks may not keep up on current research, or be going by fad diets just to keep clients and money coming in.

Bare minimum, bottom, nothing under, ect. Yes you should be eating more.

Why do you think it was a good goal?

What experience do you have with calorie burning and eating levels outside the standard 1200 goal fad diets seem to start with?

Ever logged what you used to eat prior to dieting and exercise that used to maintain your weight?

You merely needed to eat a tad less than that - and then do a tad more exercise, to lose fat weight.

Make it extreme with either or both, and count on muscle mass being part of that weight.

You'll regret that later, as it's very hard to put on muscle, especially as a woman.

Go pick a day in MFP log prior to starting diet and exercise, and log a typical eating day, estimating as best you can how much you used to eat. Knowing it's probably on the low side, as studies have shown regarding memory based eating logging.

Best Answer

Thanks! 

And yes, I was underwhelmed by the trainer, so I stopped going. I mean, I do the gym in two sets, 30 minutes of cardio in the morning, and then 30 at night along with strength. MFP says that my goal should be 1410, which is what I've been eating at up until this week. I'll switchi back. I'm guessing I put myself in "starvation mode" by mistake!

I'll link it to MFP and see how that goes-- though it will take some figuring out!

Thanks for your wonderful advice, it's helpful on this struggle bus of a journey. . .but it's 44 days to make a habit-- half way there! 🙂

Thanks again!

Best Answer

So even MFP without Fitbit corrections had you had 1410 on non-exercise days.

On exercise days even more.

With Fitbit correcting your estimate of daily activity, probably even more.

Here are some tips for that syncing.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10098937/faq-syncing-logging-food-exercise-calorie-a...

And I've found many that have done WW have put themselves in to that mode, and they have a long slow recovery out to get a healthy full-burning body back that is willing to work with them.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks! I'm hoping a few days won't ruin my goals!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @Halloweenham! I am a personal trainer and no certification teaches you how to prescribe how many calories a person should consume. I would ask your trainer where they got their certification from and so some research on your own. I, as a perosnal trainer, recommend healthier eating habits, but never offer specifics on calorie consumption. That is something to discuss with a nutritionist or dietician. Also, 1200 calories/day is way too low. That is the amount of calories your body would burn (generic number) just to sustain normal organ function. That is NOT including calories expended for phjysical activity and your day to day moving around.

As for your workout regimen I would recommend you cut down your cardio to 30 min 4-5x/week but at a high intensity. Look up HIIT (high intensity interval training) online and you will get a ton of work out ideas. And, increase the intenisty of your weight training. Lift heavier weight, with lower repetitions to build your lean muscle mass. This will not make you "big" b/c as women we do not have the levels of testosterone to support massive muscle growth. The more lean muscle you have the higher your metabolism, which equates to a higher calorie burn at a resting state.

You didnt mention how much water you're drinking, but I always recommend a gallon (or as close to a gallon as you can)/day. Restricting water intake will cause your body to hold onto water.

Are you weighing yourself at the same time of the day (should be in the morning after you go to the bathroom, before eating/drinking)?

And why do you only eat peaches and apples? Berries are a huge source of antioxidants, fiber and are the lowest in sugar of all fruits (especially raspberries and blackberries) and carbs are nothing to be afraid of, having them before a workout and after a strength training workout is fine as long as they're nutrient dense (oatmeal, brown rice, sweet potato, starchy vegetables etc)

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey! Thanks for the information! 

1) I don't eat berries often because they mess with my stomach for some unknown reason. Peaches and apples are the only fruits that work well with me (I don't know...insert science reason here? Haha). 

2) I do have one question. So, as of yesterday I burned roughly 3,000 calories, according to the FB. I ate 1410, as determined by my fitbit. Was my deficit really 1,600 calories? I ate when I was hungry, and always felt full. . .it just seemed really high. 

3) I'm not so great at the drinking water thing. I probably get about three cups of just water, then about three cups of skim milk, and two gatordaes daily. Do I need to switch all of that to water? 

4) I weigh myself at the same time everyday. Though fear not, I'm not frustrated yet (entirely!). I can see the changes, and I'm lifting more weight at the gym-- so I know progress is being made, even if the mean scale says there isn't!. 

Thanks for all of the information folks! I'm really determined, so I'm not gonna give up even if I sit at the same weight for weeks!

🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

If you really logged all your food, and created a 1600 calorie deficit - ya, that's not good.

One day out of many that are reasonable isn't that bad. But if willing to go that far below, then you should be more than willing to go that far above.

Be very concerned when your body has stopped giving appropriate hunger signals when the deficit appears to be that great - it usually means it's adapting so you actually don't burn that much.

Or the exercise was such you didn't feel hungry.

Or you were so involved with something you just didn't eat.

Both those can happen easily, but it doesn't mean your body didn't need food, just means you were distracted or fooled it.

But your feeling full and your body being fully fed for level of activity are not really related.

Use your brain, not your stomach.

For most, it was using stomach that got them here to needing to lose weight.

Change what foods you eat. Someone could eat 1400 calories of broccoli and feel very full - but that's not enough food if you burned 3000.

Get more fat in diet probably, many think fat makes you fat - untrue. Excess of anything makes you fat.

Sounds like you needed to eat up around 2500 (or whatever your reasonable deficit is) - and that can require good food selections - but should be easier.

Because you didn't get to the point of needing to lose weight by eating 1400 calories - so you have the ability to eat more.

Best Answer

Hey Bales,

I don't think you can generalize and also give specific recommendations to people to eat fat. You are not saying fish oil or avocado or walnuts etc just fat.  Sounds like a junk food recommendation. If I took your recommendations I would have not lost the 10 lbs that I did and still have lots of muscle. And no we should not be willing to eat 2500 calories at least not most of us women. 

I know that you talk about weight training and HIIT and are knowledgeable. I agree that we need some healthy fat, protein and veggies on a daily basis.  My fitbit is forever telling me I burned more calories than I could possibly be just because I'm active and take steps dancing and walking.  Before someone starts eating more than 1100 extra calories they might look for some other reason that the numbers are showing a 3000 cal. deficit.

Bodies do not go into starvation mode quickly by skipping a meal or eating only 1300 cals for a few weeks from what I have read. 

Has anyone noticed that steps are added simply by driving your car? Check it out. The movement of turning the wheel or shifting gears or going over bumps may add steps. Keep a log for a while when you enter and leave your car.

Just saying giving advice to so many people to eat more cals. may not be in their best interest especially if they are diabetic or pre-diabetic or have hypothyroidism. 

Barb

Best Answer
0 Votes

@dancefoxtrot wrote:

Hey Bales,

I don't think you can generalize and also give specific recommendations to people to eat fat. You are not saying fish oil or avocado or walnuts etc just fat.  Sounds like a junk food recommendation. If I took your recommendations I would have not lost the 10 lbs that I did and still have lots of muscle. And no we should not be willing to eat 2500 calories at least not most of us women. 

I know that you talk about weight training and HIIT and are knowledgeable. I agree that we need some healthy fat, protein and veggies on a daily basis.  My fitbit is forever telling me I burned more calories than I could possibly be just because I'm active and take steps dancing and walking.  Before someone starts eating more than 1100 extra calories they might look for some other reason that the numbers are showing a 3000 cal. deficit.

Bodies do not go into starvation mode quickly by skipping a meal or eating only 1300 cals for a few weeks from what I have read. 

Has anyone noticed that steps are added simply by driving your car? Check it out. The movement of turning the wheel or shifting gears or going over bumps may add steps. Keep a log for a while when you enter and leave your car.

Just saying giving advice to so many people to eat more cals. may not be in their best interest especially if they are diabetic or pre-diabetic or have hypothyroidism. 

Barb

That is all very true.

But I noticed some facts in this case.

Her estimated Sedentary TDEE before exercise is 2410 (1410 eating goal on MFP, 1000 cal deficit), based merely on gender, age, weight, height. She's starting higher than you are.

This is for 210 lb woman - who is going to be burning much more when she gets moving than perhaps you can burn.

And her workout is spending 30 minutes in morning doing cardio, and 30 minutes in afternoon doing more cardio and 20 min strength training. Daily.

Getting from 2410 non-exercise TDEE up to over 3000 is very easy doing that much exercise, and a lifestyle that is actually NOT Sedentary - which Fitbit is correcting.

Yes, false steps and calorie burn could indeed be making a minor difference. And normally I'd confirm that is not happening - but her lifestyle matched up with the numbers easily - if not underestimated actually because of the lifting calorie burn. 2 hrs weekly.

Ever seen how much distance and calorie burn go with those false steps of driving?

That's great that you want to eat on the low end. And if way lower than what Fitbit estimates, if there is no big amount of false steps causing inflated calorie burn - I'd suggest you could probably eat more and not actually gain fat weight. Water weight sure, good healthy water weight that increases your LBM and your metabolism.

You could likely lose just as fast eating more, and get more from your workouts, if they are the type that can transform the body anyway.

And yes, that was generalization about fat, I just wanted to throw out there that many people still think fat should be avoided in general - and it's just not true, in general.

And not sure where the thought of starvation mode from skipping a meal came from, don't recall that being claimed. And 1 week is short, but with a huge deficit, and if system is already stressed out - it can happen fast if that routine was continued, and I saw no indication that it was not going to be. It's not about the eating level, it's about the amount of deficit from what the body wants to maintain at for calories.

Best Answer