Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BMR calories v Active calories

Hi,

I have a few questions regarding the reading of my calories burned on my Charge 5 device. I understand that FitBit includes your BMR calories in your total calories burned which is fine. I ran the test and my BMR is roughly 2050 calories that my body will burn daily no matter what. 

So to understand this a little bit better I’m wondering do I check my total calories burned at the end of the night and subtract my daily food intake and whatever is left will be my deficit? Is this correct. So my BMR would be 2050 calories and say I burn 3500 calories the whole day and eat 1800 calories. Does that mean my body will have a 1700 deficit?

I’ve attached a screenshot of my calories burned for the last 10 days or so. I average 3500. I eat no more than 1800 calories daily, hit high protein goals and walk my 10k steps. Can someone point out to me what my correct deficit is and if I’m doing this right? I’m looking to lose around 20kg.

I’m 210lbs , 176cm and 25y/o.

any help is appreciated.

https://ibb.co/0MRVfFS 

Best Answer
0 Votes
4 REPLIES 4

That is total calories burned for your entire 24 hr period. Including your BMR. Subtract your intake and yes that's is you deficit. However there is a big debate on exactly how accurate your calories burned is. Your BMR is fairly accurate everything beyond that is off by a percentage. What that percentage is would be the debate. Hope that helps...

Best Answer
0 Votes

Your calories burned starts at midnight and resets at midnight. The total is everything you did for the day.. breathed, twitched, walked, laughed, everything. I agree that there is an over under when it comes to the accuracy of calories burned however, the over under is consistent.. in other words, consistently wrong for the activities you do over and over. This means there is a backwards kind of accuracy there if you base your intake on that and you see results. Your deficit should be set by you depending on your tolerance level. If you have such a huge deficit, every day, you should be losing 3 pounds per week minimum. 2000 calories is one pound. If that isn't the case, your math is off somewhere. you are either eating more than you think you are or not entering calories per measured accuracy... 

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer
0 Votes

Seems like you know all the basics. I am trying to lose weight and now I remember that workouts lasting longer than 90 consecutive mins really burn fat and also increase fatigue. So 10k steps is only about 4.5 miles walking, which can be done in 90 mins. If you want to see short term results you have to increase beyond that 10k. I'm doing 12k steps minimum per day.

Regarding the main question, I think that you're NOT actually burning xtra calories plus base calories. It's showing you total calories burned. Especially if you are only showing 10k steps. My mail & postal delivery person aims for 20k steps on her daily round.

Best Answer

@rf0163 you simply don't burn what you think you do. Even being an athlete working out twice a day you wouldn't burn 4k kcal. I assume your main exercise is walking 10k steps daily (this is how I understand your post). It isn't enough to burn that much.

To be more realistic use TDEE calculator as your base:

https://tdeecalculator.net/index.php

and start from there.

Fitbit is only a tool and gives you some estimates but you need to figure out how all the numbers apply to you. Don't follow it blindly.

Best Answer
0 Votes