Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CANT lose weight

ANSWERED
Hey everyone,

I am feeling a little down today.
I've had fitbit charge hr for the past month. Nonetheless, I have been trying to lose weight for the past 1 and a half. I started with 86kg and I am now at 74.3 kg. Its been 1 month amd a half that I have reached my goal (running for 25) and No change has come to my body. I have lost 5 cm on my belly, but my weight has not changed for the past month. I eat only healthy stuff and have been doing a deficit of 1000 calories with the hope of losing 2kg per week (fitbit app deficit goal)

Can anyone help me please? I dont know whats wrong...
Best Answer
180 REPLIES 180

Contrary to conventional wisdom, weight management (and loss/gain) is not all about caloric deficit (intake vs.burn). For the past 150 years or so, methodologically sound scientific research on diet and/or weight management has shown rather consistently that a low carbohydrate diet is not only the healthiest diet for most people, but also best for weight maintenance. (For an excellent and robust review of the scientific literature on diet and nutrition - including an analysis of why the low fat approach to diet was erroneously espoused by the U.S. health establishment for the past 40 years - see the book "Good Calories, Bad Calories: Fats, Carbs, and the Controversial Science of Diet and Health" authored by the well-respected science journalist Gary Taubes and first published in 2007.)

The diet you have described - yogurt (low fat with sugar, a simple carb) and some grain (high carbs) for breakfast, brown rice (high carbs) for lunch, and soup (likely source of carbs, especially if not broth) and yogurt and fruit (high sugar) for dinner - is not only unhealthful but also a recipe for weight GAIN.

The conventional wisdom still being espoused by most among the medical establishment - that one should acquire 60% of daily caloric intake from carbs, 10% from proteins, and 30% from fats - as the proper mix for good dietary nutrition is now (finally!) being recognized as the outgrowth of atrociously bad science conducted during the 1950s and 1960s. Next year, the FDA is expected to release new guidelines recommending a diet consisting of 30% carbs, 12% proteins, and 58% fats. While every individual's dietary needs do vary, this new guideline is probably fairly close to right for the vast majority of people. Among the exceptions is the person who is a very serious or professional athlete; these folks typically need a greater share of carbs in their diets.

So, for all but the most serious of athletes, if you want to lose weight, the intelligent approach is to stop counting calories - I can hear the screams from most forum members who have been brainwashed into believing otherwise  - and instead to start cutting the carbs. It really is that simple. (If you are interested in losing weight quickly, you might consider trying the full Atkins Diet program plan.) On any sensible, carbohydrate restricted diet (e.g., the later phases of the Atkins Diet, the South Beach Diet, most versions of the Paleo Diet), you almost surely will lose weight and your blood lipid panel will shift with HDL ("good cholesterol") levels increasing, large fluffy (beneficial) LDL levels increasing, small dense (deadly) LDL levels decreasing, and (unhealthful) triglyceride levels decreasing. In other words, your health will improve.

Also, it is important to understand that the type of carb calories that one consumes very much does matter. You need carbs in your diet to remain healthy, but you should choose your carbs wisely.  You should avoid simple carbs (like sugar and refined grains) and prefer complex carbohydrates (like nuts, all salad vegetables other than carrots, string beans, leafy vegetables, and cruciferous vegetables).  Starchy vegetables (e.g, root vegetables like potatos and beets, beans/legumes, and corn) and whole grains should be eaten only occasionally and in moderation.  Fruits are healthful, but only if eaten in limited amounts.  Really high sugar fruits (e.g., apples, pears, bananas, peaches) should be eaten rarely, if at all, while high sugar fruits (e.g., melons, grapes) should be eaten only occasionally and in small quantities; rather, you should prefer berries (low sugar), cherries (moderate sugar), and citrus fruits (moderate sugar).  Radishes and onions - which are root vegetables - are the exceptions to the avoid-root-vegetables rule; they are fine to eat since they are not starchy.

Though being active certainly helps with weight management, weight loss has much more to do with what you put in your mouth than it does with activity.  Exercise is hugely important for other health reasons beyond weight management, so don't think I am suggesting you don't need to be exercising.  But, exercise tends to add muscle mass and muscle is denser than fat so, as you lose body fat as a result of proper diet, the added muscle mass acquired from exercise tends to offset the weight lost in body fat.  So don't worry too much about your weight if you are eating right (a carb restricted diet that avoids highly processed foods) and have good activity levels. The weight will come off over time.  If you really hit a plateau of 2 months or longer - and research shows that plateaus tend to occur at weight levels that were maintained for a while during the periods of weight gain - the way to break through is by cutting back on the carbs rather dramatically: get your carbs only from 3 or 4 cups of salad for about two weeks and then resume a more sensible carb restricted diet.  You will break through and resume losing weight.

Best Answer

The most important thing to me is "a sensible diet".

There are so many medical and other professionals out there who support high fat / low carb, high protein / low fat, low fat / high carb.... the list seems to never end. 

If there was actually a solution that worked for everybody we would all be skinny and not here.

I don't believe in restriction of any food group specifically. I think a balance that can be maintained HAPPILY for the rest of my life is important. I am trying to follow the approach of more protein (to keep me satisfied longer), max 30-40g of fat per day (healthy sources) and up to 50% of carbs (since that's where my energy comes from.

For me the book www.thedietfix.com was really an eye opener. (Written by the leading obesity expert and member of multiple medical networks in Canada, Dr. Yoni Freedhoff, MD)

But as I said - if there was a cure that worked for every body we would be here. Find the lifestyle that works for YOU!

I love yoga, pilates, knitting, my fitbit and walking my dog! +++ Started with 100 lbs to lose - 60% there - reclaiming my life and health!
Best Answer
Very good advice. I am really really pleased with that. That's what my I'm doing as well. It's getting motivated and finding that happy place with working out and not seeing it as a chore. I incorporate some exercises right at my desk. I do 100 squats 3xs/day at different intervals because it gets my blood pumping since I sent most of the day but I also create opportunities to stand at my desk and get my HR up by doing steps in place.
Best Answer
And don't think of it as dieting. Just change your lifestyle the way you eat making good choices exchanging higher fat content for more nutritious value in foods. It can be fun. once I realized how much bad stuff there is out there, the more I wanted to do more colorful foods, stay away from the gluten too much soy or mainstream food markets because after going to the oncologist nutritionist I realize that the food we are eating makes us big makes us sick and does not look out for our greater good health. If you want tips on healthy eating, I have some. Just add me as a friend. I've lost 40. Was 204 in January and now breaking into 165-169. Needing to increase intensity more but had Breast Cancer surgery so a little off. Just keep going. Lower deficit to 750. You just have to watch cal out v in. Don't go over your deficit and measure every thing. I use measuring cups, measuring spoons and little portion containers and only eat about 6 small portions/day. You will find what works. Don't stress. I work with my doctor, nutritionist, and just workout and try to stay positive
Best Answer

For me - tracking what, when, how much I eat is key. I have to be honest w/myself. I have to own it, ya know? 

I have made a lifestyle change - I'm not on a diet - I am eating less crap, more vegatables, more chicken and fish and watching my portions. One of the neatest "tips" I ever saw was at the Biggest Loser Resort about serving sizes. We were asked to portion out a size of different food items - milk, sour cream, butter, nuts, cereal and then the actual serving size was produced. Everything! Everything was over by two or three sizes. Think of the glass you drink out of at home - how much does it hold, what's an actual serving size? 

What are foods that you eat every day? Compare your size to the real size-do they meet? 

You have to eat to lose weight - if you're starving your body, your body goes into starvation mode and starts conserving everything it takes in - because it doesn't know when it'll get more. The way you're looking at your deficiet that might be a problem.

Re-evaluate your plan, change it where you can, keep your chin up and go forth and be successful!! 

Best Answer

I have a fitbit charge.  My info is updated on my computer, ipad and apple phone.  Tonight I walked 4711 steps and calories 2380.  I just looked at it again and now the number is showing 4139.  Please tell me what is happening.

Best Answer

I have had this same experience with a Fitbit Flex - I now have a Charge - and there are two possible explanations that come to mind:

1) Your clock is set for a different time zone, so it thinks it is supposed to reset the day at the wrong hour of your local time zone.  That would explain why it goes to 0 and begins counting again during the same day.

2) The unit is defective.  If the time zone is correct, then this becomes likely.  Contact Fitbit and the company will likely replace it free of charge provided you can provide a receipt dated within the warranty period.  (That is what happened when my Flex counted backward.)

Best Answer
0 Votes

What I have been doing and this is still a work in process but I am doing it as best I can. I have been trying hard to cut out processed food and sweets. Yeah surre we all have those days where you have to give in. But since going to the gym changing and realizing what I have been concuming I already lose about 22.5 pounds in 9 months with me being stuck at the same weight for a month. I agree with the wavy beach. have to take the up's and downs and weather the best and the worst of losing weight. I love to walk so it helps.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@LiitleshadowI know the feeling too well sweetheart so you are not alone at this. *hugs*

Best Answer

I don't know kg's so I don't know how much you wiegh or your hight but 1000 is not enough cal's and yr body is holding on to everything especially your fat.  Your in starvation mode.  Your body will eat your muscle before your fat. It sounds like you have also increased your activity.  Your fit bit should be telling you how much you burn and how many cal's your allowed for a day.  I just found out I'm not eating as often as I should.  I'll probably never find you again so just in case you can reach me at nashotki@hotmail.com or facebook under Marguax R. Gove........I still haven't figured out fitbit's email cause I'm new too.  I'm 5'3" 157 and I started at 172 but it's been long and slow and I'm learning as I go.  I have the Zip.  I work out x6-7 times a wk, walk or zumba too but not everyday.  I try to do at least 60min's or more a day and now that the weather has improved I can add yard work

hang in there, your body is trying to figure out whats going on

Margo

Best Answer
Yes,I figured out that I was in starvation mode so I started doubling up on my protein shakes and eating snacks,like avocados or almond butter. I have been using weights to build mussel because mussel burns fat and I have dropped to 164. Only 2 pounds but it is consistent so I'm happy. I am confident that I will eventually lose this weight.

Becky Evans
evans.becky@aol.com
Best Answer

Don't know if I talked with u yet but I'm glad yr doing better.  Took me a long to realize that my body needs fuel meaning protien in order to burn fat and give me the energy to move.  Still working on it.....I'm trying to eat thru out the day a little at a time.  I find that when I get really hungry thats when I cheat.

M

Best Answer

"...knowing what Your HSK Prime # is and eating (Any type of food you want!) underneath it is the easiest way to weight loss and everyone can do it."

The quote above is from the HSK website. Any plan that promises you can eat "anything you want" as long as you stay under a certain number (typically calories but in this case an HSK #) is a plan to avoid. Calories should come from nutrient dense food with the proper amounts of macros (lean proteins, healthy fats, and primarily low glycemic index carbs) and micronutrients (vitamins, minerals) and fiber. Any plan that says you can eat anything you want, and easily lose weight, is selling you something. Hold onto your wallet, and back away.

Best Answer

@Liitleshadow Do you measure your % body fat? It is possible that you are losing fat and gaining muscle, which is a great thing, and often more important than losing weight.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@ybakos wrote:

@Liitleshadow Do you measure your % body fat? It is possible that you are losing fat and gaining muscle, which is a great thing, and often more important than losing weight.

ohhhh, if it were only that easy to gain muscle.

It's a sound good myth phrase, but so untrue sadly.

Now, body's first response to starting exercise, or increasing intensity, is water weight gain. Which is a part of LBM and does increase metabolism.

But it's not muscle.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.
Best Answer

Hello, I'm new to Fitbit. I see such great advice in the responses, and I see some that are not helpful, that are not based on published research but on word-of-mouth and "sounding logical". It's been over a month, so maybe you already got your answer - I admit I haven't read every response yet! Your DNA has more to do with your weight than anything. You can have the same set of behaviors as a person who is "thin", and still be overweight while they eat pizza and chips and look great. Our DNA has pre-programmed our bodies to do different things with nutrients. I am a slovenly pig, I eat pizza, thai food, drink bottles of wine at a time, and I look "fine", I wear size 10 pants, but I feel absolutely terrible. Tired, short of breath, can't get up stairs, forget what a salad tastes like... So I have two considerations: 1) How do you feel, energy wise (mental and physical), and 2) If you look things up online, try to find published research that backs it up. In very general terms, "the research" says that it's not JUST how many calories you eat vs. activity, but more so what they're made of, how your DNA tells your body to process what they're made of. And sugar. Triglycerides. Boo on any sugar that doesn't come right out of a fruit or veg (yep, even lactose) but even it's your DNA. I actually did once get fat after weeks of mangoes and pummelos, but that's another story. What started me off is "Why We Get Fat" by Gary Taubes. He explains the research in an understandable and enteraining way. It's a summary of his 600+ page work "Calories In, Calories Out", which I've read, but it takes some real dedication. Long story short (ok ok, this was not short)... triglycerides and DNA. 

It's been a month, now are you doing now?

Best Answer
0 Votes

It is so simple to lose weight but it starts with breaking the mental lies you have about weight loss. You will lie to yourself over and over again. I have family members that are fat and ones like me that are not fat anymore. The ones that are fat have the same mental tapes I had when I was fat.

Best Answer
0 Votes

It could be that the 1000 calorie deficiet is too much for your body and your not getting enough. Every "body" is different so some bodies can thrive and have major results with doing a huge calorie decrease while others can only decrease their calories by only 200-500 calories to get results.  Instead of counting and focusing on "calories" count your macros instead. For example aim for 150g of protien a day, 50-75g of carbs and about 40g of healthy fats for your regular day to day. You can throw in some low carb days when you want a cheat day with 150g protien, 25g carbs and 50-60g of fat. And your cheat day could be 150g protien, 150-175g of carbs ans 40g of healthy fats. play around with the carb numbers and see what works best for you.

Also go see your doctor 🙂 you could have a simple vitamin/mineral deficiency that could be stalling your weight loss or it could be that you need a good probiotic to help with your gut? Either way good luck!

Best Answer

feel the same today, but i am eating to much and somedays i don't care. maybe i'll do better tomorrow. lose the most when i am happy and not sad. then i eat 1,000 day, 5 small meals each day. every 3 hours, walk 10 mins 5x a day, and drink only water all the time about 5 or 6 cups a day. lost 15 pounds, gained 5pds, can't seem to lose, but i'd be lying if i said i don't know why, i eat to much, and i can't make myself walk somedays. So i just do the best i can, life is to short, do your best and be happy, give ourselfs a break, no matter how much we eat right, and exercise, take vitamins, in the end we will die.

@Liitleshadow wrote:
Hey everyone,

I am feeling a little down today.
I've had fitbit charge hr for the past month. Nonetheless, I have been trying to lose weight for the past 1 and a half. I started with 86kg and I am now at 74.3 kg. Its been 1 month amd a half that I have reached my goal (running for 25) and No change has come to my body. I have lost 5 cm on my belly, but my weight has not changed for the past month. I eat only healthy stuff and have been doing a deficit of 1000 calories with the hope of losing 2kg per week (fitbit app deficit goal)

Can anyone help me please? I dont know whats wrong...

Best Answer
0 Votes
True none of us get out of here alive which is why stop wasting time and don't worry so much about it. Have a program you can live with and enjoy.
Best Answer
0 Votes