Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CANT lose weight

ANSWERED
Hey everyone,

I am feeling a little down today.
I've had fitbit charge hr for the past month. Nonetheless, I have been trying to lose weight for the past 1 and a half. I started with 86kg and I am now at 74.3 kg. Its been 1 month amd a half that I have reached my goal (running for 25) and No change has come to my body. I have lost 5 cm on my belly, but my weight has not changed for the past month. I eat only healthy stuff and have been doing a deficit of 1000 calories with the hope of losing 2kg per week (fitbit app deficit goal)

Can anyone help me please? I dont know whats wrong...
Best Answer
180 REPLIES 180

Woah, ph-62, sounds like you're pretty discouraged. I was JUST there. So hard to come out of it. There are a million and one things that influence our potential to lose "weight" (excess fat). I've said what you said here so many times. For me, it was my job, my mother, my marriage, chores - the mundanity of every day life -  that got me eating and sitting around a lot. I worked on those things, and then I was motivated to get healthy. I had to help my brain before I could fix the rest of my body. We are all going to die, yes, you're right. But obv. if we have a Fitbit, and are on this web site, we're not getting attacked in Syria, or rural Nigeria, or coerced into slavery right here in the U.S., or are in any number of horrifying states our fellow humans are... we're in control of our lives. You can do whatever you want, and, at any given time, you should do whatever makes you feel truly good, and contributes to your longevity. If not, what are these precious days for?

Best Answer
Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

Good Morning LittleshadowSmiley HappyI got my Fitbit alittle over a month ago. I had surgery about 7 wks ago. For incentive....I got a Zip.  My goal is 10K steps daily. Somedays are better than others.  I haven't lost a pound.Smiley Sad  My legs and behind have firmed up, my pants are getting baggy. The scale hasn't moved. I feel like tossing it out the window.  I have been eating much healthier, drinking mostly water and taking long walks. It has been a life long struggle.  Just keep trying.I know for me, I think I need to start measuring everything I eat.  There is some really excellent advice posted here by other Fitbitters. Hang in there.  You can do it. 

Best Answer

Don't worry about the scale...you are probably building some nice muscle right now.  The weight will come off just congratulate yourself on more movement and healthy eating/living....GOOD FOR YOU!

Best Answer
Random thoughts....I have gone over a month without the scale moving. It's discouraging, but don't give up. Sometimes its metabolism, sometimes other things. I used to do colonics and I was amazed at what came out of my body during my first six treatments - and the weight came off too. Nowadays, I just eat prunes after breakfast & dinner. I feel lighter & cleansed.
Best Answer
The fact that people wonder why or are amazed why the scale didn't move shows me how little people understand weight loss. If I don't lose weight this week I know exactly why it happened. I also know what it takes to make the scale move for you or me and it has very little to do with how many steps you take .
Best Answer

I eat a lot of vegan foods because I have a severe food allergy to dairy and vegan just makes it easier. I also support being able to eat clean and healthy rather than processed foods. You really notice the difference :). To all, we have such an amazing support system and we can do anything that we set our minds to. Make that goal and fight for it. "Change your thoughts, you change your world."

Best Answer
You're not losing weight because of your caloric intake . Remember if you're training hard you need to feed your body.. Try using your Fitbit with myfitbesspal. It works and instead if using steps per day adjust your Fitbit to calories burn.
Best Answer

@Liitleshadow

How is your fit journey coming along.  I understand the frustration, I've been through and my fitbit friends all went throught the same ordeal.  I felt like I was losing inches around but my scale said otherwise.  Well You may already found the answers to your question but I wanted to add a little more and invite you into a challenge group that will happen in August.  We don't look at scale as our goal, because as we all know, muscle weights more than fat and if you keep working out to lose weight and stay lean, the scale is going to tell incorrect number.  Many of our challengers had muscle gain around their leg but lost body fat% and what matters is, how you feel, how well your clothes are fitting now then before, How well you are moving with your kids, etc.  do you have more energy now then before.  This is what matters and if you are still with your fit journey, I always add another woomp to your fitness by addding 30 minutes of strength training where it will burn more calories and maintain that burn through out.  HIIT cardio is involved in this as well to increase your metabolism.  Doing HIIT in the morning will burn more fat then later in the evening.  Always eat a healthy breakfast and do not go for only LOW calorie diet, because your body is smart as heck and will try to survive by lowering your metabolism and burning process.  So you have to rotate your calorie intake- high to low calorie per week. and hit your workout every day. 

This is just a few fit tips we share in our community, https://www.fitbit.com/group/22CV4D

We also have August slimdown challenge coming up where we'll lose 10 lbs in 21days. so if you or anyone is interested in losing weight for this phase, connect with me and our community so we can get started. 

thanks! and happy steppin!

If you like meeting new friends and starting new challenge each month to set a goal and crush them at the end, join our TEXAS FITBIT community and sign up for our monthly slimdown challenge! https://www.fitbit.com/group/22CV4D
Best Answer

Hi M61 Are your eating three meals a day or are you trying six small meals per day?  What I mean is eat each meal about 3 hours apart but make them very small meals.  Also make sure you are adding protein. Drink plenty of liquid.  Need to check the accuracy of your scale that you are using.  The one I started off with I found to be about 7 pounds off.  Talk about being devistated.  I am also starting a Face Book page and I am calling it "Working to get Fit".  It is just a gathering place where ideas can be passed around and disscussions, ask questions or just a place to let off steam.

Best Answer

A new study was out that says les than 1% of obese people based on the BMI will obtain weight loss. So this included me when I was 40lb over weight.

It is sad because weight loss is so simple, but only 1% acheive it becasue they don't know how easy it is. You have to have the right tools in understanding.

Best Answer

change up your work out routine and do something COMPLETELY different, same with your eating habbits.  fat load for a day or two by eating as much FAT, not calories, as possible.  load up on that bacon and red meat and walnuts, that tricks the body a little to burning fat then when you suddenly stop it may keep going.  that works for me anyways.  routines are a downfall i believe, gotta keep it changing so your body doesnt know how to adapt

Best Answer

You don't need to trick you body to do anything. Your body has a natural way to lose weight, but guess what it is NOT NATURAL to lose all the weight people pack on in 30 days and it is bull crap. Sure if you are obese you will lose alot of weight quickly and then stall. All you did was shed weight down to a semi obese person and started eating half way normal. Losing weight is a granular thing and takes time and most will never acheive it because they won't do the simple things necesary that it takes.

Best Answer

@healthsidekick wrote:

You don't need to trick you body to do anything. Your body has a natural way to lose weight, but guess what it is NOT NATURAL to lose all the weight people pack on in 30 days and it is bull crap. 

Yes and no.

If you do one activity over and over again every day, your body will get really good at conserving energy and it won't burn as many calories as it did before.  I only know this because that's what happened to me with my last job.  Seriously, who puts on 30 pounds walking at least 15 miles a day and climbing over block walls all day?  I did, and I was eating normal amounts of normal food.  Not as healthy as I do now, but still really normal.

The fix for that is to do something different that messes with muscle memory and makes your body work less efficiently.  Then your body is working harder and burning more as well as building different muscle which also means you're burning more even when you're resting.

Having said that, most people do eat too much or poor quality food, and that makes it exponentially easier to pack on the pounds.  And eating too few calories, which means not fueling your activity, can also be a problem and cause weight loss to stall.

FitBit One
"You should really wear a helmet."
5K 9/2015 - 36:59.57
Best Answer
People make weight loss difficult when it is simple. Your body has a natural way to lose weight it is unnatural for it to be 20,30,40 (yes I was there) and even more over weight. Most people will stay fat because they really don't want the truth.
They can't get honest with themselves. Sure some people will lose some weight and gain it back the others will celebrate going from obese to slightly obese, but very few (less than 1% based on a recent study of 10,000 men and women over 10 years) will get to a normal weight.
Weight loss is simple and easy.
Best Answer

Weight loss should be simple and easy for everyone.  But it isn't always.

Age, hormones, injuries (brain and the rest of your body), and disease (genetic and acquired) all can make our bodies work differently than "normal."

The effort required for me to lose weight after two concussions less than a year apart is much greater than it was several years ago, even eating the same way.  Damage to areas that I might never discover, despite a couple of MRIs, has an impact on how my body handles calories as well as how hard I have to work to keep control on my impulses.  Some areas just don't scan well, and scar tissue just is.  You can't get rid of it.

Even before the concussions, the effort to keep weight off when I worked a very active job for several years was much greater than it was a few years prior when it was all new to me.  Bodies learn to conserve energy when given repetitive tasks, so you don't burn the same calories anymore, even given the same person in the same body given the same task.  Like I've said before, who gains 30 pounds when they're walking 15 miles at a fast pace every day, especially when they supplement that work with some serious on-the-job calisthenics?  Someone who has been doing the job for a while.

Did I mention menopause?  Hormones control an incredible number of processes in your body.  Mess with them and you mess with all of those processes, including creating muscle and storing fat.

Now I have a frozen shoulder with a small tear and a hip (torn labrum that is now scar tissue) that's no longer as flexible as the rest of me.  Oh, and the rest of me is hypermobile (double jointed).  My knee will randomly pop out and then back in again, which isn't normal.  So I don't move like a normal person anymore either.

And the funny thing is, all of this isn't all that uncommon.  Being different is actually pretty normal, though we tend to be different in different ways.  My hypermobility is someone else's hypothyroid, which is someone else's short legs which is someone else's autoimmune disorder.  We all have something unusual we're dealing with.  It's easy to think that everyone could be lean and muscular if they just gave it as much effort as we do, but it isn't always the case.  We could all be better - absolutely true - and we should all be trying, but the amount of effort required for the same results is going to vary widely from person to person.

Throw in the fear of dietary fat, the love of all that is diet food, the lie of cutting more and more calories no matter your activity level, and the other BS nutritional advice we've been hearing the last 40 or more years, and you have a large group of people who are not only messed up but also trying to fix it with the wrong strategy.  It's a trainwreck.

Keep in mind that this isn't coming from someone trying to justify being morbidly obese while sitting on the couch eating cookies.  Yes, I'm still overweight, but I have lost 24 pounds in the last 2.5 months, which isn't so bad, and now I run.  I'm not a couch potato.  But it is SO much harder now that I'm 50 and no longer invincible than it was when I was 40 or even 30 and life was much simpler.

Having said that, "It's hard!" is no reason to give up.  You have to try and keep trying, and when nothing works, find something different and try even more.  Giving up can be literally fatal.

FitBit One
Best Answer

When I say weight loss is simple it is. For EVERY single person that can get honest with themselves and are not mentally challenged it is simple and available. The reality is people make it hard and for most they will never get honest with themselves. Very few people really want the truth about what they are doing and what they need to do. For everyone the truth is available. That does not mean that person will decide they want to move forward, but at least they can stop searching for some B.S answer. 

Most will want to say this guy doesn't know what he is talking about I need to keep searching for the secret, I want to stay in all the B.S of the diet world. I have been there. new profile picThisisnewestpic.jpg

Best Answer

The thing is, you just can't say for someone else.  You can say it is simple for you, and honestly, it's usually a simple fix for a lot of people.  They're not being careful about logging food so their calorie counts are way off.  They have more cheat days than they are willing to admit.  They sit around all weekend long then go back to a desk job.  They eat high calorie junk food in the morning then try to make up for it with a 150 calorie dinner.  They go to the gym on pizza night and eat on the treadmill.

Yes, the truth is readily available if you want to find it.  It's honestly not that hard if you're willing to step away from the RDA and question what your family doctor was taught back in 1978.  That part really is simple.  It's honestly just logic combined with even a small amount of research.

But that doesn't mean applying that truth and getting the same results comes as easy for one person as it does for another.  The reality is that people have some serious challenges that will make it harder. It can still be done - don't get me wrong.  But what might be easy for one might require a Herculean effort for another.

I have seen it from both sides.  I am very honest with myself, and it is exponentially harder compared to even five years ago.  And I'm fairly active and healthy.

FitBit One
Best Answer

I can say it is simple from this standpoint.

This is how much food you can eat and lose weight based on the actiivity you do and the lifestyle you live.  That is simple. I know the exact amount of food I can eat and stay the same. I have known it throughout my weigh tloss journey. If I eat underneath I lose.

Honesty is the key all the rest is B.S. Polite conversation coupled with the maggots that want to take your money.

Best Answer

So... everything I just said, every personal experience I shared along, along with everyone else that is trying and not succeeding as well as you have - they're ALL lying to themselves and it's BS every time?

It's kind of science.

FitBit One
Best Answer