Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calorie Deficit confusion

Hi

I am new to this and looking for some help!

I have set myself a weight loss goal of 1.5lb per week, fitbit tells me to do this I will need a calorie deficit of 750.

todays stats are as follows:

14,880 steps

2,618 cals burnt/out

1048 cals in

1,737 left to eat

my question is do I take away the 750 cals myself or has this already been done?

1,737 seems like a lot of calories left to eat, struggling to see how I will loose weight if I do this.

Thanks in advance

x

Best Answer
30 REPLIES 30
Todays intake has been 1290
Best Answer

whats your daily intake of calories ?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes the fitbit automatically shows your estimated number of calories burned that day minus your goal.

So for you see 2618 out as of right now.  But your body will continue to burn calories all day long.  Breathing, keeping warm, blood pumping, etc...

So right now the app is estimating that you will burn 3535 calories today.  Basically take calories burned + calories left + 750 is 3535. 

So you can eat another 1737 calories, and you willl make your 750 goal.

John | Texas,USA | Surge | Aria | Blaze | Windows | iPhone | Always consult with a doctor regarding all medical issues. Keep active!!!
Best Answer

Wow thats great are you hungry ?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Some wiggle room if you're hungry, but be sure to eat healthy. I generally avoid eating any more than permitted by my nutritionist. Even if I had a -2600 calorie deficit the other day. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

kinda confused about your overall calorie intake?  I see...based on info provided, 1000 cals eaten, 1700 left. to eat = 2700...if you take another 700 off that...IMO, TOO LOW...calorie deficient..you'll store more fat.  People need to understand their bodies needs.   

Take your weight, I'll use mine as an example...and add a '0'...

175 -> 1750 calories just to EXIST if I was comatose.  Eat only this and body likely to go into starvation mode...

normal day to day moving around (unless you're mostly sednetary then lean towards the low end) of another 500-1000 caloires burned off just walking around, digesting food, going to the store, chores, etc...I'll pick 750 again for me to keep even numbers...actually 1000 is closer to my normal activities which get me over 10k steps a day..

So...2750 calories (not counting exercise) just to maintain my current weight/BMI, etc....

Toss in cardio, CIZE and/or weight workouts, snow shoveling...need to add another 500+ calories to what gets burned off....

So, 3250 calories a day typically for me to maintain my physique with training and to support recovery.

With training for increasing size, I need about 3500 cals/day.

Work out your numbers this way, and see how it compares with what you're doing.  This is an easy way to estimate what you can calculate online with your Harris Benedict Equation BMR/BMI numbers.

Where you source your calories from too matters.  100 cals of processed foods (pour out of a box, add water, boil and eat) is not the same as low-processed foods of the same caloric value. 

NOW...want to lose weight?  Then keeping all your activities the same, reduce that down by maybe 250 cals/day....looking to bulk up a bit like I do some times when training hard, add another 250-350 cals.

Some would say you need bigger adds/subtracts to get more impact from your efforts, but:

a) unless you want to weigh everything,

b) risk too great of a calorie deficiency and impact exercise performance,

c) or risk too great a calorie add and pack on a few pounds...

I'd go with a lower increment, check progress every 2 weeks on scale, in mirror and with measurements.  Results not enough, back off another increment of calories..(or add lol).

PLUS, one more thing....your body carries about 1 hr worth of stored glycogen.  SO unless you knock out your 30 minutes of cardio first thing in the morning when you wake up in a calorie deficient state, if you're hitting your cardio later in the day after eating meals, you need to do atleast 90 minutes to get into the fat burning zone.  No matter your caloric-intake deficiency, your body will maintain and replenish that glycogen store first...need 60 minutes of pretty intense exercise to work that off BEFORE you'll start burning fat. 

Alternatively, if you do weights and cardio, do the weights first, without long rests in between sets, then finish off with your cardio. 

Do NOT drink anything but water, doing 90 minutes of carido while sucking down worthless neon colored sports drinks you'll still be replenishing your stores and reset the clock before you'll get into fat burning mode.....

Best Answer

nice thanks Vegan, so if you want to lose weight take your weight and add a zero on the end of it and eat that many calories daily to lose is that what you said??? thanks for a reply

Best Answer
0 Votes

So... the simple way.

First, completely ignore the tile on your dashboard that looks like a gas gauge.  It's the most useless thing ever and can really mess with your head.  I removed mine, and it seems like a lot of others have done the same.  Just look at the "Calories Left to Eat" tile on the dashboard or the "Today I Can Eat:" area on the food log for how much you have left to eat.

If you have chosen a 750 calorie deficit, then your Fitbit should take that into account.  The calories you see on the "Calories Left to Eat" and "Today I Can Eat" areas are the number of calories you are expected to burn throughout the course of the day minus the caloric deficit.  The math has already been done for you, so your goal is to eat until that number is zero.  If you get within 50 calories of that goal, the tile will say "You nailed it!" and you're good.

Should you have a certain amount of calories left and then go have a good workout, Fitbit will adjust accordingly.  So you may walk into the gym after work with 350 calories left to eat, but leave with 650 left for dinner.  On the flip side, if you're usually active but spend all day Saturday in bed binge watching Netflix, you will see the number go down.  And really, that's how you want it to work.

2785 is not a grossly excessive amount of calories given that you are basically walking about 7 miles in a day.  If you try it out for a few weeks and don't find any change, you could try moving it down a little, but be wary of going too low.  It's possible to go low enough that your body starts economizing and you don't get anywhere.

FitBit One
"You should really wear a helmet."
5K 9/2015 - 36:59.57
Best Answer

@nicky1306 @slackaction

I just wrote a 4-part series "demystifying" the Fitbit Food Plan and the tools that go along with it. The mods were nice enough to make it a sticky over in the Fitbit.com Dashboard section of the board. Here's the link to the index. Fitbit's Food Plan works as designed for an awful lot of people. I'd recommend starting there, trusting their calcs, and watching what happens for a couple of weeks. Then you can either adjust your goal or leave more/less on the budget every day to get settled on your loss per week goal.

Be CAREFUL to avoid starvation dieting. It's the bane of those who don't understand how the body works. I talk a little bit about that in the first section of the series.

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Fitbit-com-Dashboard/Fitbit-s-Food-Plan-Demystified/m-p/1155201#U115...

Hope this helps!

SebringDon | Florida USA | Fitbit's Food Plan Demystified

Charge HR, Flex | Windows 10 | Android | iPad

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

@Raviv

I disagree about the Calories In vs Calories Out tile. The "eatometer" has some good uses if you really understand what it's telling you. It takes into account your BMR, what you've eaten, what you've burned, your deficit and the time of day to help keep you on track. Combined with the Daily Calorie Allowance and an understanding of the Personalized vs Sedentary settings for your Food Plan, it does a fairly decent job at what it's intended to do.

Best Answer

Close....

weight+0 = minimum calories needed for essential body function....You use energy no matter what you're doing, even when sleeping. This is low tech way to compute your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR); the number of calories you'd burn if you stayed in bed all day.

Using estimated method, weight+'0' gives me BMR of 1750...using online calculator taking in to account height and age, give 1769....close enough....   🙂

Low tech as using some of the available BMR calculators online will take into account your age, as BMR can slow as you age -- kinda why old people can sustain on much less food than otherwise -- I think. ??

WIth that you can then compute your likely calorie expendatures using Harris Benedict Equation....

"Total Calorie Needs Example
If you are sedentary, multiply your BMR (1745) by 1.2 = 2094. This is the total number of calories you need in order to maintain your current weight. Once you know the number of calories needed to maintain your weight, you can easily calculate the number of calories you need to eat in order to gain or lose weight:"

For me and most people I've surveyed, the low-brain methed produces a pretty close-enough estimate.  Then as one of the other posters said, want to lose weight, need to keep up your same level of exercise but cut out, 200-400 calories, maybe round up to 500.  Then give it a few weeks, if losing weight, cool.  This will teach a sustainable behavior modification too, not just a 'diet'.  Cut calories too low, and body goes into other embedded modes, stores things like carbs as fat just in case there's no food tomorrow....

Best Answer

@SebringDon wrote:

@Raviv

I disagree about the Calories In vs Calories Out tile. The "eatometer" has some good uses if you really understand what it's telling you. It takes into account your BMR, what you've eaten, what you've burned, your deficit and the time of day to help keep you on track. Combined with the Daily Calorie Allowance and an understanding of the Personalized vs Sedentary settings for your Food Plan, it does a fairly decent job at what it's intended to do.

It can be a useful tool for some, but for most people it seems to be more of a distraction.

For instance - Sunday mornings, I always work out before breakfast.  The gauge basically says I'm bad and about to starve, even though I'm not even hungry yet.  Then I go eat a really big breakfast, and now I'm way over in the red and bad in the other direction.  Since I have a nice, filling breakfast, I never eat lunch on Sundays because I'm not hungry, so I just cruise through until dinner when the gauge says I'm suddenly fine again.

It just doesn't take into account any kind of lifestyle, activity, or eating habits other than grazing all day.

FitBit One
"You should really wear a helmet."
5K 9/2015 - 36:59.57
Best Answer

@Raviv

I agree. If you get all your calories in just a couple of meals, it's going to be out of whack a lot. If you spread your eating across three meals and three snacks a day, it does a good job.

Best Answer

Wow you really get a lot of calories and you can maintain on that? I eat between 800-1200 calories depending on if I have a few drinks that evening and I am maintaing my weight. I always do at least 10,000 steps usually more. Fitbit starts me off with 960 at the personalized setting. I am 5'9' and 135 pounds. I use the charge hr. I don't understand why everyone can eat so much more than I can and they are losing weight and I am maintaining. I have been eating like this for the last 8 months. I eat 3 meals and two snacks. Open to ideas

Best Answer
0 Votes

A little off topic here but how accurate is my fit bit at calculating the number of calories i have burned? Mine says that i have burned 1073 calories so far, been up for 5 hrs or so, and that seems like a lot as I have not been that active so far today. I have the opposite problem compared to most, I have a hard time putting on weight and if it is accurate i really need to increase the amount of calories im taking in each day.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've been up for about 4.75 hours, I'm 249 lbs, and I have done is go to work this morning.  1317 steps, .62 miles, 11 active minutes...  1201 Calories burned.  I have not been active today.... 

So your fitbit sounds pretty accurate.  It's not perfect, but it will give you an idea.  Remember your body burns calories all day long.  Breathing, pumping blood, digesting food, etc. all burn calories.  Even sitting on the couch doing nothing, burns calories.

The fitbit app uses a formula based on your weight, and height to estimate how many calories you burn through the day.  Then is uses your steps, and if you have it the heart rate monitor to estimate how many calories you burn.  Is it accurate is a question a lot of people ask?  I would so no.  Is it the ball park.  Yes it is. 

So yes if you can't gain weight, you need to increase your intake big time.  I can tell you from personal experience...  Eating 3000-4000 calories a day I gained about 1/2 to 1 lbs a month.

But be careful, as you get older, your body burns fewer calories.  So a diet healthy at 22, can turn into over eating at 40.

My suggestion is setup a weight goal to gain weight.  Then try to meet your daily calorie requirement.  You should gain weight.  If you don't, then try to over eat a little.  It won't take much...

John | Texas,USA | Surge | Aria | Blaze | Windows | iPhone | Always consult with a doctor regarding all medical issues. Keep active!!!
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for the reply, I'm 38 and started working out again 3-5 times a week last January. I used to workout alot when i was younger. I lost abuot 15-20 lbs after ending a 19 year relationship and cant seem to put it back on. There have been a few lifestyle changes since the split with my ex. 1. im drinking a lot less, so a lot fewer calories per day. 2. I started working out again after taking about 15 yrs off from the gym, i did a ride dirtbike during this time, which is a workout in itself. 3. My eating habbits have become much heathier, the gal im dating is doing the live the lifestyle "diet" and we eat dinner together most nights, so I end up eating what she is eating.  Sorry im rambling here.... off to lunch!

Best Answer
0 Votes
If you have questions can you please start your own posts?.
Its rather annoying to come on here to see if my original question has been answered and there's heaps of other questions!
Thanks to all those that replied with helpful answers.
Best Answer

WOW........... EXCUSE THE HELL OUT OF ME

Best Answer