Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calorie Deficit for a Teen

I'm 17 , been lifting for about 4-5 months and seen good results , my bodyfat 2 weeks ago was about 18-22% (i don't really now ,just by eye) and i want to get to about 12% before I start building muscle again.

I burn between 2500-3000 calories a day , i trained 6-7 times a week (high intensity). It's been two weeks since i've been cutting on the calories , and i only get about 1000 calories a day , i try to fit in as much protein an possbile to maintain muscle ,  as a reference today i had some steak with peas and later today i'll have some chicken breast and rice , that sums up to about 1k calories , and i'll also have some fruits in between. 

I don't have protein powder right now , but i will try some for the first time in about 1 week, because in 1000 calories i can't really fit that much protein.

1,5-2 weeks ago i weighted about 73kg and now i weight 70kg ,the lifts at the gym have been the same , if not stronger and i feel very energized all day ,something i did not expect , the single negative would be my recovery time ,if before i needed 1 day now i need 2-3 ,but i still train 6-7 times a week , with the same weight i did before cutting , the same volume , from what i know training at the same intensity reduces muscle loss , can someone confirm this ?

Is 1.5 -2 k calorie deficit too much for a teen ?

As a beginner does it matter if you don't get that much protein when cutting?, as the muscle is not gonna shrink anyway?

Best Answer
0 Votes
5 REPLIES 5

@SoLix wrote:

I'm 17 , been lifting for about 4-5 months and seen good results , my bodyfat 2 weeks ago was about 18-22% (i don't really now ,just by eye) and i want to get to about 12% before I start building muscle again.

Invest in a BF scale.  If you want to be serious you need to know exactly where you stand.

Your calorie intake is way too low and your deficit is way too high, you will eat muscle assuming your BF is close to accurate.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Well i'll stop if i see significant reduction in strenght , but it's been some time and i haven't ,so i'll just go with it . What do you mean depending on your BF ? when your BF gets lower your body is more likely to consume muscle instead of fat?

Best Answer
0 Votes

This is going to sound very mom of me, but you need to get some better advice than what you currently have. You are 17 which means your body is still developing. Your food is not giving it proper nutrition. Its great that you want to be fit and lean but you have to do it the proper way. get a trainer- not a hack, a trainer who knows nutrition- involve your parents. Choices you are making today are having an impact on your tomorrow. I am pretty confident you will want to do similar things in your 30s and 40s which sound ridiculously far away now- don't ruin it now for later.

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

please dont make your deficit that high, that is dangerous

@SoLix wrote:

I burn between 2500-3000 calories a day , i trained 6-7 times a week (high intensity). It's been two weeks since i've been cutting on the calories , and i only get about 1000 calories a day , i try to fit in as much protein an possbile to maintain muscle ,  as a reference today i had some steak with peas and later today i'll have some chicken breast and rice , that sums up to about 1k calories , and i'll also have some fruits in between. 

I don't have protein powder right now , but i will try some for the first time in about 1 week, because in 1000 calories i can't really fit that much protein.

1,5-2 weeks ago i weighted about 73kg and now i weight 70kg ,the lifts at the gym have been the same , if not stronger and i feel very energized all day ,something i did not expect , the single negative would be my recovery time ,if before i needed 1 day now i need 2-3 ,but i still train 6-7 times a week , with the same weight i did before cutting , the same volume , from what i know training at the same intensity reduces muscle loss , can someone confirm this ?

Is 1.5 -2 k calorie deficit too much for a teen ?

As a beginner does it matter if you don't get that much protein when cutting?, as the muscle is not gonna shrink anyway?

Best Answer

Simply put you are over training and under eating. Countless studies have proven that being in the gym more then 4 days a week does not greatly impact muscle growth or fat loss and a healthy calorie deficit would be somewhere closer to probably 2000 maybe 1700 at the 1000 colorie Mark you are just depriving your body of the nutrients it needs to train hard and recover fast. 

Best Answer
0 Votes