Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weight Loss Addiction

Is anyone else addicted to losing weight.  I was given a fitbit by my son 5 years ago, to become more active and stay fit, as it's always been my goal. I've just upgraded and decided to buckle down and get serious in Sept. since I was losing control and gaining weight. Now after a loss of 20 lbs., it's become an obsession.  It's not enough to just loose the weight, I now need to tone and become more active and in shape. I sit at a desk job all day, and work at night, so it's hard to stay motivated and active. Any suggestions. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
6 REPLIES 6

Hi @NDJ 

It is motivating to watch the pounds drop.  However, the closer you get to an ideal weight, the slower the weight loss. Try not obsess about the number of pounds.  Instead, you could try to focus on getting brief workout sessions/activity in whenever possible during the day/night.  For example, you can do body weight exercises and/or cardio for short 10 minute sessions.

Best Answer

Yes, you are correct. I have to begin building my strength 😊 

Best Answer
0 Votes

First love is walking outside

I use a lot of DVD. Leslie Sansone for walking and I have a couple Weight training ones I use as well

Also have a boxing one I do daily.

The important thing is you need to like what you do. That way you will stick with it.

YouTube is also a great source for all kinds of exercise.

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

Hi @NDJ -- it really is motivating to get in a weight loss goal and watch the pounds fall off, but that is inevitably a temporary condition, or it should be.  That's one reason I try to separate my exercise/fitness goals from my weight-loss goals.  Mostly, I think getting to a healthy weight range requires building daily eating habits that help you enjoy eating without overindulging.  As example, it is trendy these days to fast part of the day by limiting all calories to an 8 or 4 or 2 hour window.  One side-effect of a limited eating window is the elimination of a lot of snacks that might otherwise be eaten during the fasting time of the day.  One meal a day is not a reasonable long-term strategy for me, but I do eliminate most snacking by eating only during my four scheduled meal periods every day.  I started doing that about 3 years ago, and in part it led to losing around 40 lbs over a six or seven months that I've kept off for 2.5 years.

I exercise quite a bit, but I don't really do it for weight loss reasons. As I get older I realize how important it is to maintain mobility. That requires daily movement. I have a sitting job too, but look for opportunities to get my daily steps in getting to/from or around work.  (I bike commute, but if I drove I would park further away). I also weight-train at the gym, but with a set of nesting dumbbells or even exercise bands you could do a lot at home. As others have said, the key is to find exercise you can and will do for the rest of your life.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer

Thank  you @Baltoscott 

All great advice I will have to try.  Your absolutely correct, as we get older, it is very important to stay active and healthy. Time to stop making excuses and move forward to change. Which is why I'm here, 😊

Best Answer

@Baltoscott  I have a set of those dumbbells at home. Not the same names. I love them!

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer