Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calorie Logging

ANSWERED

Hi, looking for peoples experiences and opinions on calorie logging. I’ve done it for years to maintain and lose and it works as it’s simple maths in vs out based on your goal.

I’m around 5lbs over where I’d like to be but I am at a point where I feel logging is taking the enjoyment out of food, plus I’m starting to feel restricted and then guiltily/low mood if I go over my calories.

I’m quite into food and nutrition and know what’s good for me.

Just keen to hear of anyone who has quit calorie logging after a long time and how did you feel and was your numbers affected, good or bad? I imagine I’ll feel I’m not “in control”

Thank you 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

When I started my weight loss journey 8 years ago, I didn't log anything. I just knew what I needed to eat to lose weight. Then for awhile I logged it and it was added steps to document what I already knew was happening- but sometimes we need to see it "in writing" to know its true. If you feel meh about it- stop. there is no point doing something that feels more like a penalty than a good thing. Skip it and see what happens. If you start to eat more because you don't see it in writing, go back to logging. if nothing changes and you feel better about things- skip the logging forever. I still weigh some of my food even now, but I haven't logged in years. When I gain- I know exactly how and when it happened - there is no mystery.

Elena | Pennsylvania

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
10 REPLIES 10

Hayley,  I've been on a diet my whole life but never exactly kept track of dailey calories.  I avoid sugar, flour products mostly and high fat items.  I buy the lowest calorie "butter".  Maybe you could try that for a while.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @HayleyFit 

Personally, I track/log all my food.  When I do so, I find it is easier for me to stay within my calorie range and make healthier food choices.  

Best Answer

When I started my weight loss journey 8 years ago, I didn't log anything. I just knew what I needed to eat to lose weight. Then for awhile I logged it and it was added steps to document what I already knew was happening- but sometimes we need to see it "in writing" to know its true. If you feel meh about it- stop. there is no point doing something that feels more like a penalty than a good thing. Skip it and see what happens. If you start to eat more because you don't see it in writing, go back to logging. if nothing changes and you feel better about things- skip the logging forever. I still weigh some of my food even now, but I haven't logged in years. When I gain- I know exactly how and when it happened - there is no mystery.

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

I am generally like a jo-jo, but since 2019 I have slowly lost about 20 lbs, I think the closer you get to your desired weight goal the harder it is to "loose it".

I do use my fitbit app to logg as much as I can, but I try not to obsess about it. For example, its better to track some chocolate, a beer, a glass of wine etc, rather than 3 celery sticks, or 2 cups of green peas. I try to track the things that really make a negative impact. But for example, when I cook a one pan/pot meal, I just try to keep it as healthy as possible as I will not create a recipe and then count it.

Best Answer

I find the only way to maintain at goal is to log - but I try not to get obsessive if you binge every so often.  Remember that it is a marathon not a sprint....  

Edit to remove tagline

Best Answer

Yes making better choices with what I have learnt so far, thanks for sharing

Best Answer
0 Votes

It does work doesn't it 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

I fully agree, it's bee 2 weeks of no logging. I have continued to be consistent with my workout routine and just been aware of what I consume. Lost a couple of lbs, so maybe I'm free from logging. And if I start to gain weight I have the tools to bring it back.... I'm feel good about my decision, thanks for sharing.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Good way to look at it, thanks for sharing 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

It is isn't it, what do I want my life to be... obsessed with numbers or just being aware. Thanks for replying.

Best Answer
0 Votes