Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calories In vs Calories Out

So I have started tracking my macros and calories in vs out lately. I've got my proper TDEE , the amount of calories to consume to put me in a deficit to lose the 1-1.5 lbs a wee, but... how trust worthy is the calories burned on the Fitbit app? It says I burn over 3300 cals most days. I am very active, I go to the gym 6 days a week and do cardio every other day... and I am a cook so I'm on my feet for 7-9 hours a day.. but 3300 cals? I'm at a 2000 cal limit per day.. this is just too much of a deficit, I don't want to lose my muscle mass ive worked hard on.. so how trust worthy is the calories out section with the Fitbit blaze??? Help please!!

Best Answer
0 Votes
7 REPLIES 7

Just realized this is charge Hr .. I use Fitbit blaze 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Im going to move this to the Manage Weight forum. You will get a better answer there

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thank you, I reposted the same post in weight management already, if you already moved it that's ok. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Most people find devices with a heart rate monitor overestimate calories burned by about 10 to15%. Other devices underestimate calories by about 10%. 

The differences seem to decrease as a person gets close to their normal weight.

Best Answer

I pretty much keep the deficit around -1000 calories each day, although I stop eating at 2750 even when I'm over 3750 calories burned.  I agree with @GershonSurge that I've run some numbers and figure for me it's a little over 10% inaccurate (or that's my calorie counting).  I haven't weighed in for this week but as of last week my running average was just under 2 lbs/week for 49 weeks.

What's important is just pick something to do, follow that for 3-4 weeks and then evaluate and adjust. (For women reading this it you haven't reached menopause I might actually suggest 5-6 weeks to adjust for water gain/loss around your period.)

Anne | Rural Ontario, Canada

Ionic (gifted), Alta HR (gifted), Charge 2, Flex 2, Charge HR, One, Blaze (retired), Trendweight.com,

Down 150 pounds from my top weight (and still going), sharing my experiences here to try and help others.

Best Answer

You didn’t mention your age nor your size (height/weight), but you don’t look that old and you appear to have a large frame, so given your level of activity, 3300 calories doesn’t sound excessive to me. You can use online calculators such as this one to double-check your TDEE, but you may have done that already. As other posters already said, your Fitbit may overestimate your TDEE a bit. I like @A_Lurker’s suggestion of  doing something for 3-4 weeks and seeing what happens: it’s a good way to "calibrate" your Fitbit against your actual weight change. It’s easier for us guys, as hormonal changes are out of the equation.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey everybody! I'm also using the food plan right now, after the holidays I need to loose some pounds! Cat Frustrated @Savoy.fitness I'd recommend you to check this post where I explain how the HR trackers calculate the calories and how the food plan works. In this one I explain the In vs Out graphic, and in this one I let another Fitbitter know how to calculate the BMI and how Fitbit calculate the BMR.

Personally, I'm using the Kinda hard food plan intensity to have 750 calories deficit per day to loose 1.5 pounds per week, if I don't workout during the day, I have to eat few calories so my decision was to workout everyday so I can eat more! Smiley Very Happy 

Marlen S. | Community Moderator

What's for breakfast?Check others recipes and share yours!

Best Answer