Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One Week Sugar-Free Challenge! Starts Monday 1/14

I am challenging myself to eat no added sugar/processed carbs at all for one week.  This includes no pasta, white bread, pizza crust, no chocolate (yikes!) - zero.  If a food has natural sugar in it, like fruit and some yogurt, it's fine.  If any form of sugar at all is listed in the incredients, including all chemical sugars, it will not pass these lips.  I was going to try one month, so it would be Jan. 14 to Feb 14, Valentine's Day,   but, well, I know myself and my weaknesses too well.  One week at a time.

Anyone care to join me?

We can start tomorrow by posting how we are doing.

The activity that seems impossible today, will soon be your warm-up
Best Answer
16 REPLIES 16

I'm in!  I'll be happy if I can get through one day with no sugar!  I will meet you here tomorrow!

This is such a great idea!!!  

Best Answer

Just tossed all the sugar in my home.  I was surprised to see how much there was.  Even spaghetti sauce, yoghurt and so many other foods.  Out went the candy, some canned vegetables, some frozen dinners. Cookies, crackers, as well as meat marinades.  How much sugar have I been ingesting without knowing it?  Scary.  I'm so glad to have this push to get healthier.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Great idea.  Sugar isn't that big a deal for me but it's always a good idea to clean up your act a bit more.  1 week is perfect.  Thanks for starting this up.

Best Answer

I almost slipped and had a croissant with coffee during a meeting this morning.  I didn't think of sugar as an issue, but realize how it is all around me.  At work there are donuts and pastries by the coffee machine, candies on desks, cakes for birthdays.  It's all over!  I never gave it much thought, never craved it, but would have "just a little" a little too often.  This may be trickier than I realized.  This challenge is brilliant for becoming more aware.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Almost did it but I forgot and had a piece of donut at work.  How often do I do that???  

Outside of that I did well.  This is great!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Very impressive sierra.  I did terribly.  I looked at the box while I ate cereal and saw the sugars listed.

Made spaghetti sauce for dinner, meaning I used a jar, and noticed how much sugar is in it.

Yowza.  It's all over.  ok.  Tomorrow is a new day.  I need to figure this out.

Best Answer

I did ok.  I have been eating more natural, unprocessed foods for awhile.  My downfall is the snacking when I'm tired, bored, lazy, stressed, etc etc.  Did well yesterday until evening when the chocolate someone had given me that I had somehow forgotten to get rid of found it's way to me.

Let's see how it goes today.

Best Answer

No sugar today!  Am trying very hard not to think about it.

Best Answer

Good going, Bobbi.  I'm still finding sugar all over.  Vitamins! Cough syrup!  It's crazy.  I'd rather just eat a piece of cake and enjoy it.  So far today I didn't though.  No dessert, no grabbing candies and chocolates out of the vending machine at work.  I'm much more mindful.  This is helpful.

Best Answer

Bobbi, you crack me up.  I love the "my downfall is ...tired bored lazy stressed"  Me too.  It's hot, it's cold, I have too much to do, I'm bored.  Any excuse, right?

Best Answer

So far today was good.  I was in a conference all day - trapped in a chair.  I had brought a healthy snack, had a good lunch.  No added sugar.  ok, it's only 8:30pm.  

Best Answer

I did much better yesterday.  I think all the sugar stuff and processed carbs are out.  Long talk with my family, feeling guilty and timid, about how we all need to make this change. Met with much whining (that was the spouse, not the kids).  My daughter , age 8, said lots of kids in school bring fruit and some kid had a birthday party with a sugar free cake that was really good.  The little one kept asking why and then was quiet.  When the mature spouse complained, and laid a guilt trip on me, it was the 5 year old who said "if it's better for our bodies  we need to do that. We have to use our thinkers".  I have the greatest kids.   The spouse, eh.

Best Answer

The day isn't over but I am so far sugar free.  I noticed that I'm eating a lot of fruit for the sweet taste.

I almost ate some cookies and pastry out of habit - it was there.  Mostly I'm mindful, but....I really need to get back into thinking of it as just not for me, at least for quite awhile.  

Best Answer

My husband's doctor told him today that he has a "fatty liver".  He said it is dangerous, can lead to cancer and other diseases.  The doctor said that since my husband rarely drinks, it is from diet.  A diet of soda, sugar, white bread and pasta is slowly damaging him.  He was told to cut out all of that and be re-tested in 3 months.

It's ironic cause he was giving me such a hard time about going sugar free.  Maybe now he'll start listening to me!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm getting a late start on this, but today I am starting sugar free, grain free. Trying to get into fat burning.  Maybe Sierra have your husband go on you-tube and pull up Dr. Berg.  Dr. Berg has some interesting stuff.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Kianne2009

Thanks Kianne.  We were going to do this for one week, but I lost track at the end, what with all the political events going on.  Looks like others lost track too.  Should we start again?

Would it make sense to start a new challenge so others see it?

Why don't you start it Kianne?

Best Answer
0 Votes