Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calories with steps and activities

My daily calories adjust to my steps and activities to keep me at a 250 calorie deficit. I have RunKeeper linked to my Fitbit account and my calories adjust to my runs, and the calories also adjust to my daily steps as per my Fitbit...but a good chunk of my steps are my runs. Does Fitbit work it out so that it's not doubling up my calorie expenditure by counting both my steps while running and my run? 

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 REPLY 1

Doesn't work that way.

Yes it's correctly accounted for.

Fitbit is a replace-only system. If you manually log a workout, or one is synced in - it replaces whatever Fitbit came up with for that chunk of time - so confirm you have time zones correct.

If you manually add another one with same time - earlier one is replaced.

You can leave any Fitbit Activity Record, as that is merely a snapshot of the stats for that chunk of time - you may want to view say HR during the workout later for review down the road to compare fitness.

But only the last added workout shows what is included in the daily stats, which your eating goal is based on.

That also means any steps and distance seen would have been replaced by what manually came in, and those calculated steps (distance / stride length setting) would be invalid for step challenges.

Considering Fitbit also could have had that Activity Record as a workout, and logged the same basic info as RunKeeper - is that your location for exercise diary and that's why you use it? Does it seem to have better accuracy for distance, or calorie burn, or other?

Just curious.

Considering you are using the deficit idea correctly (eating less than you burn), the calorie burn given to your run could be important enough to have or wipe out a deficit. I've had estimated calorie burns be off by 250 cal easily, inflated compared to more accurate formula (usually biking).

Meaning if I ate 250 less than reported burn included in the daily stats - I'd really have had no deficit in reality.

Just curious if RunKeeper seems to have good calorie burn estimates? Formula is most accurate since use in studies for decades.

https://exrx.net/Calculators/WalkRunMETs

Gross in the option to compare, since whatever is added to Fitbit replaces base metabolism calories and workout estimate.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.
Best Answer
0 Votes