Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cardio or weights better for weight loss in pre-menopausal women?

I am age 53 female who has always been very active and fit including running, hot yoga, swimming, snow shoeing, strength training with light weights, etc. Now Ive gained 18 lbs and fitmess consultant says I should do more weights, less cardio. Thoughts?

Best Answer
6 REPLIES 6
Your fitness consultant should know what will work for your goals. I'd go with that..good luck!
Best Answer

Hi there yes weights are good because it speeds up metabolisim and it is good for your bones and preventing osteoporosis. Weights are not my favourite and I should do more. I am trying to lose about 5kilos in weight and finding it very difficult. I am thinking it is because I am about five months into menopause. I do lots of walking, play squash and like tai chi. wondering if anyone is in similar situation.

Best Answer

Hi. I'm pre-pre-menopausal, but I definitely have been feeling the middle age spread in recent years. Personally I started doing a personal training exercise program (Nike Xbox) about three months ago. I do two to three strength training sessions a week and two cardio. I have NEVER had this much tone and definititon in my life, even when I used to religiously go to the gym and lift weights, and I'm two pounds shy of my goal weight. I am now in love with strength training, specifically plyometrics & using my own body weight and not machines (eg one-arm planks. I'm even starting to love those because my shoulders are looking so darn good:)

Best Answer
Sounds great. I do not do a lot of weight stuff. Will give it a try.
Best Answer
0 Votes

The main reason metabolism lowers as general population ages is because they move less, and lose muscle mass.

Muscle not needed isn't kept.

Resistance training will keep that, even maintenance level will keep it. Strength training with increasing weights and strength will eventually tap out existing muscles, and when you are eating at maintenance, you can even gain some more muscles.

Plus it helps with many other things, insulin sensitivity, fat as hormone depository works better, ect.

You can also enter age bracket arm wrestling and win some money.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.
Best Answer

I feel so much better/stronger since incorporating more strength training.  My joints do not hurt like they did with cardio.  Menopause really sucks.  Have read several articles about benefits of weights vs cardio. 

Best Answer
0 Votes