Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit Calories...why registering as over limit?

VERY NEW to fitbit....

Yesterday, I ate the right amount of calories (fitbit said "Nailed It" on the Calories Eaten Tile)...didn't eat anything more for the rest of the night...but when I synced again before bed it was registering as I ate 197 calories OVER the limit? 

Why? I'm figuring it has something to do with Calories Burned, but why would it change from where it was?

Thanks!!!!

Best Answer
0 Votes
2 REPLIES 2

There are two different types of calories burned tracked on your fitbit. One is the amount you need to eat for the whole day and it is based on your basal metabolic rate (BMR) and your activity throughout the day and whatever you set in terms of maintenance vs losing weight. This changes as you eat and move. There is also a tile that shows what you have burned so far today. This changes as you are active. The tile that is assuming you are going to burn x calories all day and are allowed to eat y calories is the one you are probably noticing. Fitbit made an assumption that as the day went on you were going to burn so many calories so it was giving you an amount as a target. At the end of the day you fell short of that assumption. I find this tile to be the most frustrating and I rarely pay attention to it. _I_ look at calories in vs calories out only and keep the one always higher than the other by at least 500. So, I can decide to slack off at the end of the day and it will still be under. Or i can look and realize it is creeping up and I'll jump up and start running around the LR like a crazy person (entertains my family this way *grin*) but at the end of the day when I go to sleep I know I will always be at least 500 deficit.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@sweeba17 wrote:

VERY NEW to fitbit....

Yesterday, I ate the right amount of calories (fitbit said "Nailed It" on the Calories Eaten Tile)...didn't eat anything more for the rest of the night...but when I synced again before bed it was registering as I ate 197 calories OVER the limit? 

Why? I'm figuring it has something to do with Calories Burned, but why would it change from where it was?

Thanks!!!!

Last meal must have made you tired and sit more than expected.

At the time of eating last bit of food, Fitbit thought you'd finish burning so much by the end of the day, and your eating level matched that with deficit.

But you ended up not burning that much by end of day.

Do you have Settings - Calorie Estimation Enabled?

Do you have everyday almost exactly the same, and you can't sync until very late in the day? Then that setting may be correct for you.

But if each day varies, and you can sync prior to last meal - disable it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.
Best Answer
0 Votes