Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cocunut Flour?

Has anyone tried it or used it as a breading or in any recipe? 

I recently came across it in the grocery store and figured I would give it a try. 

I used it to coat some talapia filets I pan cooked which were meant to be made into fish tacos. The cocunut flour gave the fish a very nice flavour, sweet, yet subtle, cocunut flavor. Salt and Pepper to taste. I also made a simple mint and lemon sauce. I was pleased with the flavour, I was able to taste the subtle cocunut flavor of the breading, and the more powerful mint and lemony flavour profile of the sauce complimented the sweet flavour of the cocunut fairly well. 

The one problem I had was I am not very good at cooking fish in a pan. I cannot get the temperature correct to get a crust or to make the fish firm and it ends up falling apart. I think next time I will try to cook it in the oven with a tiny bit of oil to prevent sticking. Flip it over to cook the other side. 

Using it as a breading added a nice flavour but I cannot completly call it a success, the whole point of breading the fish was to get it to crisp up a bit similar to using flour. I did not find this to be successful but I think that has to do more with me not being very good at cooking. I am not sure how it compares to flour, I know with an eggwash it stuck to the fish fairly similarly, however I am unsure if it will perform the same if baked or fried. I am not sure if cocunut flour will give you the crispy texture you get from using flour or breadcrumbs. I will try to refine the way I cook the fish and the next time I try this recipe I will let you know if I get similar or better results. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
2 REPLIES 2

I have not used it for coating, but I have made what the recipe calls a pan fried naan. First attempt did not come out so good, but on the second attempt, I added to eggs to the recipe.  I pan fried half and molded the rest into two "rolls" and baked them in the oven.  Levening was baking powder.  Like you, I didn't get a crispy outer crust, so that was disappointing, but the flavor of both the pan fried and oven baked was good, albeit, not bread as we've come to know it. 

I, too, will continue to experiment with the recipe and let you know if I make any progress.  I am thinking about painting the baked version with butter as it bakes to see if I can coax a cripser crust.  From my years in commercial baking, a couple of other ideas are in reducing the amount of fat used in the recipe (think pretzels) or just before baking painting the outside with .05% hydrocloric acid (again, think pretzels).

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

“Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn.”
― Benjamin Franklin
Best Answer
I've used it in several recipes - pancakes, curry, etc. I find that you need to use more if you are substituting it for another kind of 'flour' ingredient. It's very absorbent and it has a hard time bonding.
Best Answer
0 Votes