Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eating less, exercising more but my weight goes up???

Hi All,

I'm a new Fitbitter and have tried many different plans over the years. I have my Fitbit (Charge) and the Fitbit scales and I am religious at entering in all the food and drink I take in.

Granted it has only been a week but according to the Fitbit etc, my calorie intake is in the green (going for a 2lb loss) and my exercise (mainly walking but sometimes on the exercise bike) in general has gone up a lot.

However according the scales, my weight increased by 4 lbs but it also said my body fat percentage has dropped by 3%.

Am I doing something wrong? I understand that muscle weighs more than fat but I've not been doing any sort of muscle building exercise.

Best Answer
5 REPLIES 5

Just keep at it 🙂  My daughter gave me a fitbit flex for Christmas 2014. I requested the fitbit Aria scale for Mother's Day from my kids last month. I used to forget to sync, ran out of battery (not watching e-mail reminders), not motivated to move etc. I set my fitbit alarm for 8:05 am (I've been retired almost 7 years), I've been known to sleep right thru it but it's wonderful to be up & at 'em a couple hrs. 

@Dementia wrote:

Hi All,

I'm a new Fitbitter and have tried many different plans over the years. I have my Fitbit (Charge) and the Fitbit scales and I am religious at entering in all the food and drink I take in.

Granted it has only been a week but according to the Fitbit etc, my calorie intake is in the green (going for a 2lb loss) and my exercise (mainly walking but sometimes on the exercise bike) in general has gone up a lot.

However according the scales, my weight increased by 4 lbs but it also said my body fat percentage has dropped by 3%.

Am I doing something wrong? I understand that muscle weighs more than fat but I've not been doing any sort of muscle building exercise.

when it does buzz my wrist. When you are mid 60's, it's now or.....maybe never. 

Now hubby has been observing & wants a fitbit Charge HR 🙂  Guess he didn't like being the "unidentified GUEST" on the scale.....heeheehee

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Dementia,

Do not worry! Your body needs to adjust to your new eating habits/activity level. For the first 2 weeks of using my fitbit HR I lost barely a pound and I ate healthy with 1200 kcal plan and exercised 4 times a week(cardio and fat burning). Unfortunately, everything takes time so do not feel discouraged! Eat healthy, increase your activity level and you will get there !

I cannot give you an advice regarding Aria as I do not have one but restet it in a week if you do not lose any weight.  

Add me to your friend if you need motivation and challenge! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

It could just be water, but how many calories are you eating and gow many are you burning?

Charge HR 2
208lbs 01/01/18 - 197.8lbs 24/01/18 - 140lbs 31/12/18
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Dementia!

Stick with your guns!

You've been doing great and no scale should make you feel otherwise. You've been active, you've been keeping your food diary and you've done the best you could.

The scale doesnt weigh how well you are doing, or if there was a birthday that had to be celebrated, it only weighs pounds. It weighs clothes, constipation, water retention etc. The scale doesnt know what it is that is being weighed.

And the body fat analysis often shifts depending on your hydration level etc. It's an indicator and a good one, but shouldnt be your only guidance.

Gaining muscle happens by the way very very slowly. As in 1-2 lbs of muscle mass within 2-3 months. And that requires a protein rich diet and resistance/weight training.

If you are interested in lifting I can suggest this book "Lift like a man, look like a goddess" - it sounds strange, but it's actually a really good weight lifting book for women!

All the best!

I love yoga, pilates, knitting, my fitbit and walking my dog! +++ Started with 100 lbs to lose - 60% there - reclaiming my life and health!
Best Answer
0 Votes

So looking at my weekly stats from fitbit, my current daily average burn is between 2600 and 2700 and my weekly cals intake is around -4k to -5k. I lost 1.8lbs last week. Just to compare when I started using fitbit about 6/7 w/s ago my daily burn was similar(2700-2800) but my weekly cals intake was -7k and I barley lost a pound or even less in the first 2 weeks. 

Best Answer
0 Votes