Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have you lost weight since you got your Fitbit?

I am the exact same weight as I was when I got my Flex 3 1/2 months ago!

How about you?

I'm hoping with Spring here and Summer around the corner, that my walking will increase. 

Moderator edit: title

Best Answer
1,791 REPLIES 1,791

@FrannieMa wrote:
 Find a pair of pants or dress you love that is too small.  Work to get into this item.

^^ This.. I have gotten into and out of 4 pairs of jeans already 😄 Also, 5 pairs of shorts 🙂  I love it, but now I have to buy more stuff!! Not to mention tank tops that I had to stop wearing, that are now actually baggy on me!!! **happydancing**

Best Answer
Yes, you sound like me.  Go to the second hand stores to get some things until you settle into a size you like.
Best Answer

How many days a week do you work out? My struggle is going out to eat and treating myself and having a balance with not having to many carbs. Do you eat three meals a day. What helped you the most? Did you log when you would go out to eat?

Best Answer
I’m swimming 2 miles 3 times a week... logging all my food and just trying to keep to my deficit set on my Fitbit to help keep track of my food.. some days I go over slightly so I make up for it the next day

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

@Piccolopatti wrote:

How many days a week do you work out? My struggle is going out to eat and treating myself and having a balance with not having to many carbs. Do you eat three meals a day. What helped you the most? Did you log when you would go out to eat?

I shoot for 4 days a week. Normally I jog, but I also try to go to the gym to change it up and work on toning. When we do go out to eat, I tend to stick to chicken caesar salads ( dressing, I know, but.. I have cut out salad dressings and mayo ). I try to eat before we go out, so if we end going somewhere with food I am already full and I just stick to drinks. I try to eat 3 meals a day, but at least 2. Fruit and a LOT of water, some protein ( turkey burgers flavoured with stuff.. I like spicy, so I will throw in jalepenos and hot sauce ) and steamed veggies. When I eat a 'salad' at home, I have switched out to Balsamic Vinegar ( NOT vinaigrette ). I am surprised I actually like the BV. 

Also, I have been doing a shot of apple cider vinegar every day ( early morning ) with some honey, and I have begun drinking probiotic tea. 

If I need a snack I eat a bag of light popcorn ( Pop Weaver ) and / or a spoonful of peanut butter. Not all the time.. just when I am craving snacks. 

I don't keep snack foods in the house anymore either, like chips, dips, cookies. It is so much easier to not eat it if it isn't in the house. 

Best Answer
Hello Piccolopatti!,

*The secret to living well and long:*
*Eat Half. Walk Double. Laugh Triple*

Well, I'll start by saying that I'm retired. Also a vegetarian, though we
do eat eggs, cheese, and sour cream/yogurt. We do get a lot of "carbs", but
they are the right ones so we don't worry about carb intake. Carbs in
potato chips, white bread, and processed foods (tv dinners) just lead to
carb overload. We became vegetarians about 28 years ago. Your best bet is
to stay out of restaurants for 6 months or limit yourself to once a month.
I eat 3 meals a day, big breakfast, medium lunch, small dinner.

When I got my first fitbit 2 years ago my weight was at 188. The fitbit got
me walking every day. Started out with the recommended 10,000 steps a day.
At first I had a tough time getting 10 k, by the end of 6 weeks I was
achieving it. I also logged all of my food intake on fitbit for about 1
year. at the end of year 1 I was down to 175. Today I'm at 161 (and have
been for about 10 months) holding steady.

A side note: My wife has always been slender, never a problem with weight.
But, after my 18 months on fitbit, my wife asked for one for Christmas. She
was proud of my body change and wanted to get in better shape.

How often do I work out? Hmmm, just get 10 k or MORE steps a day. I always
try to get a minimum of 500 steps an hour all day. I also try to take a 2
to 4 mile walk every day depending on weather and other activities.
Currently my average steps per day is 14k, some days hitting 17 or 19 K. I
do yoga stretching every morning. Don't lift weights since we own an
acreage and I'm always lifting "stuff". Also have a woodturning hobby which
involves a lot of heavy work.

We would be glad for you to add your activities to this discussion group.
It may help you stay focused on moving. That's the key, just keep moving
all the time.

ben
Best Answer
I eat three good meals a day and a snack around 6.  I have found that either dark chocolate 60% cacao, mushrooms or blueberries in my diet each day is a must for metabolism boost.  I eat half of the recommended amount.
I walk every day.  If I have to get up early to do this, I do.  I have actually grown very fond of the time I have to walk and listen to music or just think.  I do try at this point to get in 20,000 steps a day because it does wonders for my legs...slims them down.
Eating out is a problem...we don’t do much of that.  When we do, we educated ourselves on what is the least caloric item on the menu where we will be.  It helps if your significant other is also watching calories.  We do Subway for fast food or McDonalds for breakfast...egg white delight no cheese.
If you don’t have items you know you should not have in the house, you can’t eat them.  We have pizza every Friday night.  We buy a medium at Walmart and I add mushrooms to mine.  We each get half...I have lost weight even doing this.
It is hard not having all the goodies others have, but it is easy to get up each morning, put on my size 8’s and look in the mirror and smile.  I do this for me.  My husband likes my look, but my work is for me.
Eat chicken breasts, fish and seafoods.  I like sweet potatoes, green beans and coleslaw.  Canadian bacon is also great.  Weigh everything until you know portion sizes...this took me months.  I still weigh some things.  If you need a pep talk, get back with me.  Frann
Best Answer

So I walk at least 12K steps every day. I have done that now for 450
straight days. I try to go to a gym twice a week to lift weights and add
some things to the mix. This gives me about 3K calories a day to work with.

I eat a protein shake for breakfast everyday. Eat a lot of salads for
lunch.
I love ice cream and chocoloate and eat that on the weekends and try to
bump my steps up to 15 to 18K if I'm bad.

Even with that effort, I have gained about 12 pounds over the past year,
but I lost 60, so I still feel pretty good.

Moderator edit: removed personal information

Best Answer

Want more motivation over the Holidays?

New step goal challenge at   Dancing December 2017 Step Goal Challenge

I know I need more motivation this time of year!  Weather is cold and hard to motivate getting out and walking, watching you food intake, or keeping those gym dates. 

Best Answer
This sounds to me like you have a good plan for you.  Hope it continues to work for you.
Frann
Best Answer

Yes, I've lost 8 lbs so far in a month.  I think that if you log absolutely everything you eat and then set your fitbit goals with at least a differential of 250 more calories burned that eaten each day and follow it as an absolute, you are sure to lose weight.  I've set a goal of a 1000 calorie differential because I got fed up with not fitting in my clothes, and recently made a commitment to achieve it everyday.  Sometimes, it means I need to do more steps in order to offset what I've eaten. (I've got a mini trampoline which is great for at-home / anytime steps & exercise).  Set rules you can be certain to keep and achieve, even if modest, and then commit to them.  You may well have an off day, but if you've stuck to your plan, you will lose weight.  I have found that I love the fitbit and basically have gone 'all in' with utilizing it fully.

Best Answer

how are you doing this successfully?  Im a guy who is 6'-2" and 180, but 3 years ago I was 160.  i have always been able to eat whatever I wanted until I turned about 42ish.  I often work odd hours or long hours and sometimes have a nervous stomach that only fat or sugary foods can seem to calm down.  Sometimes in the morning after breakfast I feel weak or like I have low blood sugar.  Suggestions?

Best Answer

@DJWolfpack: our metabolism does slowly decrease as we age, so we expend slightly less energy for the same activity, but the change is very progressive (it’s not like a switch is suddently turned off when you are 42) and the principle of energy balance still applies: if you are in a caloric deficit, you will lose weight, at any age. Many people in the community have been able to lose a significant amount of weight while being older than you. Including some (e.g. me) who – like you – weren’t overweight to begin with. 

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

Actually I am down 47 lbs since I got my fit bit. I am however following WW. I have been stuck at the same weight for a few months now. I am not giving up and its too cold to walk as much as I was. I give myself 6k a day. 

Best Answer

Well 6'2 and 180 doesn't sound all that bad to me. Of course you don't
want to exptrapolate out for a couple of more years and find yourself at

I recommend good healthy protein shakes for breakfast with spinach, protein
powder and vitamin mix.

Being busy and getting excersize is a challenge. I do one 30 to 45 minute
run/walk a day. Otherwise, I look to run in place while waiting for
things, waiting for elevators, waiting for my dogs to pee, etc. I park in
the far end of the store parking lot, I find cheap parking which requires a
longer walk, etc. All of this works out to about 12K steps a day.

Moderator edit: removed personal information

Best Answer

@sue-lin wrote:

Actually I am down 47 lbs since I got my fit bit. I am however following WW. I have been stuck at the same weight for a few months now. I am not giving up and its too cold to walk as much as I was. I give myself 6k a day. 

Hi @sue-lin, welcome to the community! Congratulations on your weight loss. 47 pounds is quite an accomplishment and makes a substantial impact on your health! WW is an excellent program (I've used it) but it's not unusual to get stuck at a certain weight for an extended period. Keep your eyes on your ultimate goal, which may not be a goal weight - but to be healthy and age with strength and mobility.

Versa 4 through a Motorola Razr 2023 // Retired Charge 5, Blaze, Versa and Charge HR // Fitbit Fan since 2016, 50+ pounds lost
Best Answer
I like the protein addition to drinks, but I do not want to “drink” my meals.
Eat sensibly...anything you want, I do, but in smaller portions.  Until you get the hang of portion sizes, weigh your food.  It is a good investment in you.  I am keeping my weight off.
Frann Marple
Best Answer

medas, thanks for the response, Anything more substantial than protein drinks?  I can drink those and I like them fine but I think that because they are liquid they run through my stomach too quickly and I get hungry very quickly after I eat them (if I eat at 6:30 before I leave to take my kids to school, then I'm hungry byt 9:30 after I get to the office for example).

Best Answer

@DJWolfpack eggs, oats plenty of options for a good breakfast. I like porridge with protein cacao lots of berries and peanut butter. You need lots of fibre and a good amount of protein for breakfast

Best Answer
YES
Best Answer