Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help me select program and app please

Hi,

I need some help with selecting a weight loss program. I want to lose about 50 pounds. I am moderately active and like to walk but hate the gym. I function well when I have a good phone apps and/or site for tracking and community support. I have "successfully" done weight watchers before but gradually fell into bad habits and gained everything back. I have thought about trying that again but I am open to other suggestions. 

Thanks!

Best Answer
0 Votes
19 REPLIES 19

My only two pieces of advice would be:

1. Don't take advice too seriously. If it had any value, people would be selling it, not giving it away. What works for one person doesn't necessarily work for another. 

2. Don't embark upon a "weight loss program". Instead, make sustainable lifestyle changes that'll lead to a healthier you. 

What has has worked for me so far is "eat better, move more".

The "eat better" part has been to adopt the Mediterranean style diet (I've given up meat for now too), be mindful of portion size and record everything I eat in a food diary. 

The "move more" part has been to try to reach 10k steps every day and slowly re-introduce running to my life. I monitor using the Fitbit app and the Community here gives me the encouragement I need. 

The results have been startling. I've lost almost 25kg this year (BMI was >38, now it's <32). This evening I ran 10 miles in just over 90 minutes (I struggled to walk a few miles in Jan). And most importantly, I feel magnificent!

My physical and mental health have improved drastically. I'm a new man!

Ultimate Goal: Mens sana in corpore sano
Best Answer

As @Dave001  has already said, don't think of it as embarking upon another diet, but a lifestyle change.  Don't pick a program, but take a good look at your eating habits and make some adjustments.  Walk a more than you do now, look up some bodyweight exercises you can do at home (push ups, squats, lunges).  Change your life, don't just diet for a while.

Anne | Rural Ontario, Canada

Ionic (gifted), Alta HR (gifted), Charge 2, Flex 2, Charge HR, One, Blaze (retired), Trendweight.com,

Down 150 pounds from my top weight (and still going), sharing my experiences here to try and help others.

Best Answer

After my last experience with WW I would tend to agree with not just adhering strictly to that sort of program. However I could use a little structure and guidance too which that sort of thing provides. There must be some sort of happy medium out there?  

Best Answer
0 Votes

If you need a system to stick to then create ur own. Manage ur calories in and out. Set guides for how many steps you wanna achieve and by when. Decide what unhealthy habits you need to loose and gradually drop them one at a time. 

Best Answer

Holy cow at your miles!  I run 3 in 30 minutes but at the end, my hips really hurt.  It looks like we started the same month.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@MagsOnTheBeach I had the same broblem with my hips hurting. My trainer checked it out and discovered that my gait was off on my left side. My leg twisted out as I was running due to the muscles being tighter (or weaker). Well whatever the reason she gave me a series of exercises to correct the issue. Maybe get a physio or a fitness professional to check ur running out

Best Answer
0 Votes

I use DASH - specifically the book called DASH for weight loss.  It works well for me because I can do this forever, it's kind of something I don't even think too much about anymore.  I'm tired of choosing something and going off and gaining weight back.  So this time I've added exercise and plan meals that are easy to follow.  I've lost 47 since January.   But since there is no magical allure to it, many people quit.

But I totally agree, you are better off reading about 5 or so diets and seeing how you think they would work.  Then narrow it down to two and pick one.  Then later if you do find it doesn't work you have a back up to try.

Best Answer

Thanks!!! I was running last week and tripped and landed on one so it hurts more than usual.  I was going to wait a couple more weeks - if it still hurts more I'll see my doctor and see what she says.  

Best Answer

I would agree that the Mediterranean diet and DASH are among the most sensible approaches: they do not demonize or exclude any macronutrient or entire food groups and will let you eat enjoyable and varied food. I don’t think there are apps for them, but you can read up on them and see whether they’d be for you. Whatever way of eating you end up picking, you will have to maintain a caloric deficit for quite some time, so find something you can stick to with minimal discomfort. 

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

I use the app "My Net Diary" for calorie counting.  While I'm learning that it isn't as simple as "calories in vs calories out", I'm a numbers girl and I enjoy having a goal to work towards each day.  I also like that the app tracks my macros too.  And it also syncs with my Fitbit.  It's been a winning combo for me. 

Best Answer

That sounds like what I am looking for. I need help with the tracking and a rough guide as opposed to WW where "you can eat anything" but need to follow their point system. That sounds like a good option. 

Thanks

Best Answer
0 Votes

Back in January in did a little experiment where I tracked WW points in their app and I tracked calories and macros in My Net Diary.  Calories/macros won by a landslide!!! 

MND does charge you to sync to your Fitbit.  It's called the "Max version".  If you buy it from the app store it's $60 for the year.... but DON'T DO THAT!!  Once you have the free app, log in on MND's website.  On the manage and pay tab, but a "year gift subscription" for $36 and give it to yourself.  Just a little trick I learned from a MND rep.  It's definitely worth the money. 

There are other calories counting apps that sync with Fitbit that don't charge, but I feel like MND is a better platform and is worth the money. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Do you like it better than MyFinessPal or Lose It! ? 

Thanks for the tips! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I use myfitnesspal and am happy with it

Best Answer

@JennyRebecca wrote:

Back in January in did a little experiment where I tracked WW points in their app and I tracked calories and macros in My Net Diary.  Calories/macros won by a landslide!!! 

MND does charge you to sync to your Fitbit.  It's called the "Max version".  If you buy it from the app store it's $60 for the year.... but DON'T DO THAT!!  Once you have the free app, log in on MND's website.  On the manage and pay tab, but a "year gift subscription" for $36 and give it to yourself.  Just a little trick I learned from a MND rep.  It's definitely worth the money. 

There are other calories counting apps that sync with Fitbit that don't charge, but I feel like MND is a better platform and is worth the money. 

Not sure if that's still available.....don't see it unless I'm doing something wrong

Best Answer
0 Votes

@nerevfan scroll down to the very bottom of the main page and click on "gift cards and group discounts".  I forgot about that part.  😮

Best Answer
0 Votes

What is the main advantage of using using this app over lose it and myfitness pal? I don't mind spending to buy if it's good. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I haven't used "Lose It" but I have used MFP.  I liked the layout of MND better than MFP.  It seems like it was easier to log favorite food and recipes on MND.  I would play around with both to see which one you find easier to use.  🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have tried many diets in the past with little success. I decided to quit depriving myself of foods I enjoy and replacing it with the defined healthy foods.  I started using MyFitnessPal to count calories then proceeded to eat whatever I wanted at every meal. If I wanted pizza that is what I had, the same for ice cream, etc I just controlled the portions.  I kept my calories at or below the recommended amount to lose 1 pound a week by controlling portions. It has worked for me. I achieved my goal of losing 60 pounds. I have kept it off for 7 months.  I realize this goes against all the suggestions  of heathy eating and lifestyle but it has worked for me.  Since losing the weight my energy level has increased, I sleep better, my blood pressure has returned to the recommended numbers, and I no longer need my cholesterol medications.  If you can follow and maintain a healthy way of eating lifestyle I would certainly go with it as opposed what I have done.  Good luck with whatever choice you make I wish you much success.  

Best Answer