Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Here's what 1000 calories per day can look like.

Have you thought that 1000 calories per day would be miserable? Think again. Here's a link to an article describing it. And just to be clear, I am not suggesting that everybody consume 1000 calories per day. Some of the patients referred to me are prescribed that, but it by no means is for everyone. This is just to illustrate that it may not be what you've thought. https://journal.thriveglobal.com/this-is-what-1-000-calories-looks-like-e8bc84a639fc cThis is what 1000 calories per day can be.This is what 1000 calories per day can be.

I'm a formerly obese person and a Licensed Counselor. I'll be a supportive friend here if you need one.
Best Answer
168 REPLIES 168

@alexag wrote:

Sorry, that wasn't to you. It was to the naysaying lady who said "why not just use the fitbit tech to create a 1000 deficit"- I was trying to explain to her that, for many people including myself, a 1000 deficit would mean eating less than 1000 calories which would negate her argument that 1000 calories are not enough.

Sorry for the confusion, really no good at these online forums, working on it!

No problem. Thanks for filling me in. You are so right. Internet forums can be very confusing and counterproductive.

If you have read my book or taken the program, there is a free FB support group for people who are following it and helping each other at https://www.facebook.com/groups/1420736314691413/ It's been very supportive, without all the arguing. Fun too.

Regarding the need to "undereat", as I call it, eating under 1000 calories per day average for a long period of time is not advisable even when it is a nutritious 1000. Unfortunately, some people of small stature will gain weight even on 1400 calories per day average, so learning how to keep your caloric intake way below that in America is a challenge. Our breakfasts alone at Denny's can be over that! Some salads at restaurants can be almost 2000! And that's for only one meal of the day, not counting the other two, drinks and snacks! But success is doable when you know how, actually very enjoyable.

Best wishes!

I'm a formerly obese person and a Licensed Counselor. I'll be a supportive friend here if you need one.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I've been sticking to 1100 calories a day, 20g of fat, 100ish grams of carbs and 150ish grams of protein, mostly chicken breast, veggies for dinner, no sugar corn cereal and almond milk for breakfast and wholegrain lite pasta for lunch. I was around 242lbs, been doing 8km walks every day and decently vigorous weightlifting sessions 1 hour a day, 3 times a week, feeling great, loads of energy even during and after exercise, been losing 2.5 ish kilograms a week and muscles are growing in size. I think it really just depends on the person, because I seem to be fine, if not better than before when I wasn't watching what I ate.

Best Answer

@DeoxyRibo98 wrote:

I've been sticking to 1100 calories a day, 20g of fat, 100ish grams of carbs and 150ish grams of protein, mostly chicken breast, veggies for dinner, no sugar corn cereal and almond milk for breakfast and wholegrain lite pasta for lunch. I was around 242lbs, been doing 8km walks every day and decently vigorous weightlifting sessions 1 hour a day, 3 times a week, feeling great, loads of energy even during and after exercise, been losing 2.5 ish kilograms a week and muscles are growing in size. I think it really just depends on the person, because I seem to be fine, if not better than before when I wasn't watching what I ate.

God bless you! Great work! You are giving your body what it needs and it loves you for it!

Eventually, you will need to increase your intake when you no longer have stored fat and calories to use to fuel your needs. However, you won't need a lot more. If you need to increase your intake by 500-1000 calories, decide what that would be. Don't just abandon responsible eating. 

Best Answer

@DeoxyRibo98 wrote:

God bless you! Great work! You are giving your body what it needs and it loves you for it!

Eventually, you will need to increase your intake when you no longer have stored fat and calories to use to fuel your needs. However, you won't need a lot more. If you need to increase your intake by 500-1000 calories, decide what that would be. Don't just abandon responsible eating. 

Best Answer

Yeah, I'll be sure to raise caloric intake once I reach my goal, a healthy 2000 ish calories should suffice, because I'm going to need a decent caloric boost to get muscle gains. I will continue eating what I do now, chicken, veggies etc, just more of it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Stop doing stupid foods like that out there. You can get plenty of nutrients and be under 1000 a day. They are called veggies. Kale. Spinach. Broccoli. Avocados. And so on. Combine that with some eggs. Eat some sauerkraut too. Heck people fast for over a month straight. 1000 calories a day is super easy if you actually eat greens

Moderator edit: word choice

Best Answer

No such thing as a damaged metabolism. Bro science myth. It’s related to muscle mass. Peoples metabolisms drop after they lose weight and they think it’s damaged. Sorry I’m a 26 year old guy, active, 6’2 tall and 200 pounds and if even I eat 1500 calories on a non exercise lazy day, I will pack on something fat. ITs simply because I don’t have a Lot of muscle mass

Best Answer

@Taylorisrandom wrote:

Stop doing stupid foods like that out there. You can get plenty of nutrients and be under 1000 a day. They are called veggies. Kale. Spinach. Broccoli. Avocados. And so on. Combine that with some eggs. Eat some sauerkraut too. Heck people fast for over a month straight. 1000 calories a day is super easy if you actually eat greens

Moderator edit: word choice

Well, it's not that they are retarded, but they certainly are ignorant. They've been trained to be ignorant, apparently never having been taught critical thinking and the scientific method. Thanks for promoting truth instead of all the nonsense gossip we see on social media. 

Best Answer

Hey, we retarded people need love too.

Best Answer

I have stuck to a calorie range of 1200 to 1600 calories a day (and I stay as close to 1200 as I can) and I definitely know I can eat some nice meals in that range.  It's certainly not miserable.  Thanks for posting this visual.  🙂 

Best Answer

Most of the people I’ve seen promoting health myths usually aren’t that fit themselves. The most common ones I can’t stand and hear so much are “ if you eat less than 1200 calories a day, your body will go into starvation mode and shut down its metabolism!” Or “ eat 6 meals a day to keep your metabolism going!” Or “ fasting is unhealthy, if you skip a meal, your body will store the next meal as fat for survival!” And worst of all “ you need carbs to survive and be healthy! It’s your body and brains main source of energy! Low carb is bad. Just eat “ healthy” carbs!” Lol

Best Answer

@Taylorisrandom wrote:

Most of the people I’ve seen promoting health myths usually aren’t that fit themselves. The most common ones I can’t stand and hear so much are “ if you eat less than 1200 calories a day, your body will go into starvation mode and shut down its metabolism!” Or “ eat 6 meals a day to keep your metabolism going!” Or “ fasting is unhealthy, if you skip a meal, your body will store the next meal as fat for survival!” And worst of all “ you need carbs to survive and be healthy! It’s your body and brains main source of energy! Low carb is bad. Just eat “ healthy” carbs!” Lol

I love hearing from people who love reason and science! Honestly, it's like our culture is devolving, rejecting science and returning to superstition, folklore, gossip and magical religions as their basis for belief. 

Thanks for your messages!  

Best Answer

I am 5'3 and I eat one thousand calories a day I do not move around a whole lot but still I can not eat that much anyways I weigh 145 pounds I can not eat that much so I always have to think about what I want to eat and it is a little bit each time I do not know what to do but I guess I have to think about it and I do think that you have your own calorie needs individually some people must be naturally really thin and others are really heavy you do not know sometimes maybe.  I take vitamins and eat really good I guess you should watch what you eat though if you want to make smart choices it could be better for you.  I get cold when I weigh less I have a normal thyroid you just have to balance things out and yeah some people can not eat that much or they would be heavier.

Best Answer
0 Votes

How do you lose then?? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Liv3104 wrote:

How do you lose then?? 

If you run or walk, never repeat a route or you will find them again. I have a neighbor who found all the calories I lost while running on a local bicycle trail. 

Best Answer

I strongly encourage anyone who wants to achieve healthy weight loss to speak to a registered dietitian. Cutting calories for weight loss can be effective, however, cutting them very low and excluding nutrient-dense foods from the diet simply to achieve a particular weight is not healthy. Most individuals require a good deal more than 1,000 calories a day to keep up with their busy lives, not to mention maintain muscle mass and tissue repair. It also bums me out that a mental health counselor would adopt these drastic techniques to help people lose weight. If you look at the science, focusing only on weight (instead of an overall healthy lifestyle that includes mental and emotional health) can be extremely detrimental to an individual’s psyche, and in many cases can ultimately sabotage long-term weight goals. Also, literature has shown that fitness is a better predictor of mortality risk than weight. Unless you have abnormal cardiometabolic parameters (i.e. high triglycerides, hyperglycemia, hypertension), focusing only on the scale instead of general healthy behaviors isn’t helpful. I’m really disappointed to see this kind of content from someone who claims to be a professional. This is very poor advice to the general public and few health professionals would support such weight loss measures. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@kbargo wrote:

I strongly encourage anyone who wants to achieve healthy weight loss to speak to a registered dietitian. Cutting calories for weight loss can be effective, however, cutting them very low and excluding nutrient-dense foods from the diet simply to achieve a particular weight is not healthy. Most individuals require a good deal more than 1,000 calories a day to keep up with their busy lives, not to mention maintain muscle mass and tissue repair. It also bums me out that a mental health counselor would adopt these drastic techniques to help people lose weight. If you look at the science, focusing only on weight (instead of an overall healthy lifestyle that includes mental and emotional health) can be extremely detrimental to an individual’s psyche, and in many cases can ultimately sabotage long-term weight goals. Also, literature has shown that fitness is a better predictor of mortality risk than weight. Unless you have abnormal cardiometabolic parameters (i.e. high triglycerides, hyperglycemia, hypertension), focusing only on the scale instead of general healthy behaviors isn’t helpful. I’m really disappointed to see this kind of content from someone who claims to be a professional. This is very poor advice to the general public and few health professionals would support such weight loss measures. 

In response to kbargo's message 56:

You need to learn more about what I teach. You are making assumptions, always a risky thing to do if you want to be correct. My method is taught in hospital weight loss programs, and if you check my book's page at Amazon, you'll see that it is endorsed and highly respected by many medical doctors and other health professionals. These short articles I write can only contain so much. The point of this one was to emphasize that one can eat real food instead of strange diet food to lose weight, and that one can get caloric intake low enough to lose weight without giving up enjoyable food. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mr. Anderson (I'm using Mr. as a sign of respect),

I'm a firm believer in the scientific method. The way it's supposed to work is someone proposes a hypothesis - say eating all meals at Subway will help a person lose weight.

Then they go out and do a pilot experiment on themselves and discover they lose say 50 pounds in a year by eating only Subway food, and they kept it off for five years. The way to challenge this experiment is to attempt to prove the experiment wrong through further experimentation. The "honest way" to do it would be to take a group of say ten people and see if they get the same results. Let's assume all ten, with the aid of intense coaching (therapy) achieve the same results. As a side benefit, those with type 2 diabetes are cured. 

Is this good enough?

Not in my opinion, because the experimenter chose the wrong endpoint. My question would be "Did they develop or cure any health problems as a result?" That would likely depend on which sandwiches they chose.

I 100% agree with your assertion that frequent cognitive therapy is needed to change eating patterns and to achieve positive long-term results. My opinion is most people will need weekly contact and someone they can contact for help in between. This should continue for at least five years or until the person can continue on their own.

However, I don't agree that there is any real food at Burger King. In all the backpacking I've done, I've never seen a Whopper growing next to the trail that I could eat. I've certainly never seen a French Fry along the trail. What is real food? It's food that doesn't make us sick, which most of the foods in your pictures will do.

So, I have only two questions for you. Has your way of eating been scientifically shown in long-term studies to arrest or reverse heart disease? Not just in some patients, but in all of the patients. That's right, 100% of the patients who comply. (Every way of eating will have people who drop out). What was the compliance rate in those studies? 

You see, the real endpoint of the studies shouldn't be weight loss. It should be overall health until death. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@GershonSurge wrote:

I'm a firm believer in the scientific method. The way it's supposed to work is someone proposes a hypothesis - say eating all meals at Subway will help a person lose weight.

Then they go out and do a pilot experiment on themselves and discover they lose say 50 pounds in a year by eating only Subway food, and they kept it off for five years. The way to challenge this experiment is to attempt to prove the experiment wrong through further experimentation. The "honest way" to do it would be to take a group of say ten people and see if they get the same results. Let's assume all ten, with the aid of intense coaching (therapy) achieve the same results. As a side benefit, those with type 2 diabetes are cured. 

Is this good enough?

Not in my opinion, because the experimenter chose the wrong endpoint. My question would be "Did they develop or cure any health problems as a result?" That would likely depend on which sandwiches they chose.

I 100% agree with your assertion that frequent cognitive therapy is needed to change eating patterns and to achieve positive long-term results. My opinion is most people will need weekly contact and someone they can contact for help in between. This should continue for at least five years or until the person can continue on their own.

However, I don't agree that there is any real food at Burger King. In all the backpacking I've done, I've never seen a Whopper growing next to the trail that I could eat. I've certainly never seen a French Fry along the trail. What is real food? It's food that doesn't make us sick, which most of the foods in your pictures will do.

So, I have only two questions for you. Has your way of eating been scientifically shown in long-term studies to arrest or reverse heart disease? Not just in some patients, but in all of the patients. That's right, 100% of the patients who comply. (Every way of eating will have people who drop out). What was the compliance rate in those studies? 

You see, the real endpoint of the studies shouldn't be weight loss. It should be overall health until death. 

For those seeking more info, you can contact me through my website:  www.TheAndersonMethod.com

See my book and audiobook at Amazon.com and listen to a sample: https://www.amazon.com/Anderson-Method-Secret-Permanent-Weight/dp/B01MSYGBXW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=...

Read my articles at Arianna Huffington's Thrive Global: https://medium.com/@williambillanderson

See my "Ask the expert" contributions at ChooseHelp.com: https://www.choosehelp.com/profile/TheAndersonMethod

Best Answer
0 Votes

@GershonSurge wrote:

Is this good enough?

In response to GershonSurge's message 58:

It's good to show respect and respect scientific method. You will find my latest Thrive article of value: https://medium.com/thrive-global/science-based-weight-loss-ce6688728759?fbclid=IwAR1FaKHCXXGhdo3HP4a...

Your statement that the food depicted in my article will make people sick is patently false. Statements like that don't help your credibility.

Regarding weight loss methods that are proven effective with scientific method, there is ample evidence that reducing caloric intake substantially below TEE causes weight loss. Anyone challenging that fact is not familiar with the science. My psychotherapeutic techniques are all standard evidence-based therapies proven effective for years now. If you take a look at my book's Amazon page (https://www.amazon.com/Anderson-Method-Secret-Permanent-Weight/dp/B01MSYGBXW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=...), you'll see my method is endorsed by a number experts in medicine and research related to weight loss. My method is used as the behavioral component in hospital weight loss programs. It is highly respected.

In 35 years, I have never had a patient following my method who has not succeeded with their weight loss efforts. Has everyone who attempted to use it succeed? No. There is no such thing as 100% compliance with any clinical treatment protocols, especially with hard-to-change habitual behaviors and addictions. 

I have never had an interest in conducting research. I'm sure there is plenty that shows obese people improving their health with the weight loss and improvements in their eating habits that occur with my approach, reducing both heart disease and diabetes. All of the doctors and researchers I have contact with have no doubts about that. 

Best Answer
0 Votes