Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How little calories is too little?

ANSWERED

I am struggling and postponing contacting my doctor since y'all know those can be expensive, but how many calories is too little when in a caloric deficit? For example, I worked out yesterday, so my "calories out" was about 1,850 compared to the normal 1,540ish. I never eat breakfast so in the morning I just had a protein shake after my workout, some chicken salad wraps for lunch chicken and veggies for dinner, and one serving of keto ice cream. This all amounted to only 1000 calories on the dot (I'm super precise/accurate when logging so that isn't an issue), and I felt super full by the end of the day!

Should I eat more to get my caloric deficit to the -500 that it should be (where I'm eating 1300-1500 a day), or just eat higher calorie, but still healthy, foods? Even if I feel extremely full? If it's the latter, I'd like some recommendations on higher calorie, healthy meals 🙂 I've been lost about this for quite awhile since I average eating 1,130 calories everyday regardless if I work out.

Thank you!

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@poercellaine wrote:

I am struggling and postponing contacting my doctor since y'all know those can be expensive, but how many calories is too little when in a caloric deficit? For example, I worked out yesterday, so my "calories out" was about 1,850 compared to the normal 1,540ish. I never eat breakfast so in the morning I just had a protein shake after my workout, some chicken salad wraps for lunch chicken and veggies for dinner, and one serving of keto ice cream. This all amounted to only 1000 calories on the dot (I'm super precise/accurate when logging so that isn't an issue), and I felt super full by the end of the day!

Should I eat more to get my caloric deficit to the -500 that it should be (where I'm eating 1300-1500 a day), or just eat higher calorie, but still healthy, foods? Even if I feel extremely full? If it's the latter, I'd like some recommendations on higher calorie, healthy meals 🙂 I've been lost about this for quite awhile since I average eating 1,130 calories everyday regardless if I work out.

Thank you!

1 day isn't the problem, people fast for more than 3 days, but that's when the body takes a nosedive in metabolism to protect itself.

1 day can be balanced with another if concerned.

And it's rarely about the total amount eaten, where there are minimum's for average person to get adequate nutrition in. (1200 & 1500)

The body is going to get stressed and react to the difference between what it's being asked to burn, and what you are feeding it, the deficit is what matters.

Studies have shown that people that are asked to exercise a great amount and take a big deficit end up with same responses as those that don't and take a similar big deficit - stress on the body with negative reactions, because the body needs so much to accomplish basic functions of life, exercise merely takes off the top some of what could have been available, in either case leaving not enough, so the body must adapt.

But 1 day isn't going to do that. 500 cal deficit is reasonable down to last 10 or 15 lbs left - depending on how much weight you've already lost.

Just be aware that you feeling full, and your body being fully fed enough - are 2 separate things. In fact be very concerned if not hungry when you should be, because usually means body is adapting to compensate - that's a negative.

You feeling the correct sensation would likely mean you wouldn't be here attempting to lose weight - most people have no idea how to read the body and the foreign language it speaks. Using your head is needed as you are doing by asking.

1000 daily would be normally in a research study being measured out the whazoo to confirm the study program isn't causing harm to the body.

For people without that means - there are lines you really don't want to cross. You may be lucky and have no issues, but more are not and their extreme diet means they'll be doing it again next year. and year after, repeat, harder each time.

Think of how long it takes for a mineral or vitamin deficiency to show up as negative effects - it can take months before someone finally has something checked out and there it is - sometimes the negatives of that deficiency takes many months to get out of.

Caloric deficiency same way - certain amount causes desired effect of fat loss - too much causes muscle mass loss, body adapting slower, loss of hair, slow nair/skin growth, trouble staying warm, ect, to even worse. At least 1 day isn't going to cause that though, that's a longer process.

Nuts and Avocados are healthy fats, won't take much to add some calories. Little oil in something you prepare, not hard, serving of peanut or almond butter or some super grained bread. pita sandwich with stuff in it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
5 REPLIES 5

How tall are you?  How much do you weigh?  I can't imagine trying to eat when you feel full.  It is like those "drink water goals" which I think are strange.  The Mayo clinic says to drink when you are thirsty, more when you are active and it is hot, and less when you are inactive and cool.   This is just my opinion though.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Glenda I am 5'3 at 172lbs. And yeah I can't imagine trying to eat anymore either but everywhere I read says less than 1000 calories per day is unhealthy, especially since I'm working out.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Have you started an exercise program to lose weight?  Studies show that people who do that usually eat more and don't lose weight.    I wonder if those deficit calculations are at all helpful or not.  Usually you can multiply a person's weight by 10 and the result is about a maintenance number of calories.  The usual plan is to reduce that by 500 to lose 1 pound a week.  So 1720 -500 = 1220.  What is your goal with the exercise?  Exercise is for good health.  I try to get in 5000 - 7500 steps a day but I think you could forget about calorie deficits.  I would

Best Answer
0 Votes

@poercellaine wrote:

Thank you!

1 day isn't the problem, people fast for more than 3 days, but that's when the body takes a nosedive in metabolism to protect itself.

1 day can be balanced with another if concerned.

And it's rarely about the total amount eaten, where there are minimum's for average person to get adequate nutrition in. (1200 & 1500)

The body is going to get stressed and react to the difference between what it's being asked to burn, and what you are feeding it, the deficit is what matters.

Studies have shown that people that are asked to exercise a great amount and take a big deficit end up with same responses as those that don't and take a similar big deficit - stress on the body with negative reactions, because the body needs so much to accomplish basic functions of life, exercise merely takes off the top some of what could have been available, in either case leaving not enough, so the body must adapt.

But 1 day isn't going to do that. 500 cal deficit is reasonable down to last 10 or 15 lbs left - depending on how much weight you've already lost.

Just be aware that you feeling full, and your body being fully fed enough - are 2 separate things. In fact be very concerned if not hungry when you should be, because usually means body is adapting to compensate - that's a negative.

You feeling the correct sensation would likely mean you wouldn't be here attempting to lose weight - most people have no idea how to read the body and the foreign language it speaks. Using your head is needed as you are doing by asking.

1000 daily would be normally in a research study being measured out the whazoo to confirm the study program isn't causing harm to the body.

For people without that means - there are lines you really don't want to cross. You may be lucky and have no issues, but more are not and their extreme diet means they'll be doing it again next year. and year after, repeat, harder each time.

Think of how long it takes for a mineral or vitamin deficiency to show up as negative effects - it can take months before someone finally has something checked out and there it is - sometimes the negatives of that deficiency takes many months to get out of.

Caloric deficiency same way - certain amount causes desired effect of fat loss - too much causes muscle mass loss, body adapting slower, loss of hair, slow nair/skin growth, trouble staying warm, ect, to even worse. At least 1 day isn't going to cause that though, that's a longer process.

Nuts and Avocados are healthy fats, won't take much to add some calories. Little oil in something you prepare, not hard, serving of peanut or almond butter or some super grained bread. pita sandwich with stuff in it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.
Best Answer

Thank you so much! I think my metabolism did kinda take a nosedive because I had been eating 1000 calories or less ever since I started my weight loss journey, but I found that exercising more and increasing my protein intake has made me hungrier more often (even during breakfast, which I usually hadn't eaten before!), so you were absolutely on the nose that I wasn't feeding my body enough. I'm currently eating about 1200-1400 calories, which is a 500-600 calorie deficit 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes