Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many of you have used KETO diet for weight loss?

ANSWERED

How many of you have used KETO diet for weight loss?

I used intermitted KETO, with increased exercising for about 45-50 pounds loss over 6 months, and am now maintaining. The hardest thing was to stop KETO and not rebound, which I did about 10 pounds. So more caloric control and monitoring was definitely needed, and a slower increase of carbs. 

Let's have a discussion on the ins, and outs of the very low carb diet, personal inputs or thoughts, and anything that worked better for you or did not work for you.

Moderator edit: subject for clarity

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

So water weight changes then since I'd doubt greatly you could manage to eat 1000-1500 calories over maintenance each and every day for 2 weeks.

Now I could, I've trained for that often. 😉

I think that water weight gain (just fine body desired water weight) is what surprises people even with normal reduction diets to what they normally eat.

1st weeks always includes extra water weight lost that will be coming back.

But at least it's not fat weight, and being spread out in glycogen stores around the body and in liver - no one is even going to see it.

Well, unless one wears a sign around their neck stating "2 lbs over goal weight"!

I've known several that did keto diets that never accounted for calories and gained fat weight, so it could be helpful to ones that will continue that lifestyle and learn to eat proper amounts.

But good job switching back to non-keto WOE and still managed to learn to control portions.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
9 REPLIES 9

Hi @Doc_Yuengling, welcome to the community forums! 

I personally hasn't used Keto diet but I have heard it has worked for other users 😁. I invite you to visit this thread in which others have shared their experiences and tips regarding Keto diet. 

See you around. 

Wilson M. | Community Moderator, Fitbit.
Best Answer

I did the old Atkins plan 20 years ago with great success, but by eliminating so many foods, for me it was not sustainable.  I am losing now and I am doing a lower carb, but not true keto.   There is nothing off limits, so it is sustainable and I don't find myself wishing for it to be over so I could have pasta, bread, rice, etc.  Some people can make it their lifestyle, I am not one of them

Best Answer

@BASILCHIVES, hi, it's great to see you around! 😊

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience! Happy to know that you continue losing weight using a different method. It would be great if you can share more tips about it, this way I believe your recommendations will help other users as well 😊

Have a great day! 

Wilson M. | Community Moderator, Fitbit.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Ich ernähre mich jetzt 2,5 Jahre ketogen und dabei fast carnivore. In der Zeit habe ich sehr langsam ca 17 kg verloren. Der Ausdauersport fällt leichter, da ich nicht ständig Kohlenhydrate nachfüllen muss. Insgesamt fühle ich mich gesünder, als früher und werde wohl immer bei dieser Ernährung bleiben.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Any very  low calorie diet requires a slow increase retuning to normal maintenance level calories.  The body can't adjust fast.  You must add the calories back 200 at a time for 2 or 3 days to make sure you are not gaining before you add 200 more.  Otherwise you will gain all the weight lost back.  To be clear.  If you go on an 800 calorie a day diet eat 1000 for 2 days, then 1200 for 2 days etc until you get up to an amount that would be normal for you height and weight.

Best Answer

I very rarely went very low calorie intake, and have 'cheat' days. Currently maintaining with low carb diet, during the week, and a 'cheat day' on the weekend. My weight can vary 2-3 pounds off baseline depending on salt intake, size of meals, amount of carbohydrates, among other factors, but tends to stay around a desired weight. 

When loosing weight in earnest, I would also use intermitted fasting while in Ketosis, especially exercising in that time period to force my body to access fat stores, like a 12 mile hike. When counting caloric intake when in Ketosis, it is interesting to see more weight loss than actually calories burned or in deficit. 

I however would not starve myself, averaging 1800-2000 calories a day intake, through out the week. During weight loss times, I would average 3000 calories day burned.

In maintenance, I average 2700 calories burned per day, and take in 2300, with a 'cheat day' or two of a few drinks, a nice desert, or grilling. 

My wife and I find that for food going out to eat, it is better to share a meal, due to large portions from some restaurants. 

Recently I was on a two week vacation, with higher caloric intake, putting on 2-3 pounds. 

A week or so afterword, my weight was back to baseline.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

So water weight changes then since I'd doubt greatly you could manage to eat 1000-1500 calories over maintenance each and every day for 2 weeks.

Now I could, I've trained for that often. 😉

I think that water weight gain (just fine body desired water weight) is what surprises people even with normal reduction diets to what they normally eat.

1st weeks always includes extra water weight lost that will be coming back.

But at least it's not fat weight, and being spread out in glycogen stores around the body and in liver - no one is even going to see it.

Well, unless one wears a sign around their neck stating "2 lbs over goal weight"!

I've known several that did keto diets that never accounted for calories and gained fat weight, so it could be helpful to ones that will continue that lifestyle and learn to eat proper amounts.

But good job switching back to non-keto WOE and still managed to learn to control portions.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.
Best Answer

I did Keto and lost 14lb, got to my ideal weight, the moment I came off it the weight came back within a 4 months, I'm so disappointed in my self. Keto is not a life style I can maintain for ever. 

The plan is to go back on keto as it does work, and then slowly switch back, I think I went for carbs to quickly.

Best Answer

@ABlackmoore wrote:

I did Keto and lost 14lb, got to my ideal weight, the moment I came off it the weight came back within a 4 months, I'm so disappointed in my self. Keto is not a life style I can maintain for ever. 

The plan is to go back on keto as it does work, and then slowly switch back, I think I went for carbs to quickly.

You are going to repeat that experiment if you think it had anything to do with going back to carbs too quickly, or at all for that matter.

It frankly didn't work for you - think about that a bit. By your own admission.

You didn't learn to eat differently, to eat correctly for your level of activity.

So then you went to a more normal way of eating and had no experience in eating correct amount and gained fat again.

You will repeat this if you don't understand what you did - which your comments seem to suggest.

If you can't see yourself eating that way pretty much going forward past the weight loss and in daily life while you maintain - then of what use was it?

There is no need to be part of the 80% that fail to reach goal weight or maintain it for any length of time.

Learn to eat less of what you normally enjoy eating. If you can't, then think about if you need to make some changes overall to what you eat.

You'll eat less in a diet, and learn to eat appropriate when maintaining.

If you can see yourself holding to the keto way of eating - which many do - then great.

Just be aware people have gained fat on keto - it's not magical, it helps eating less than you burn for many, but not all.

Best Answer