Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much you gain weight and how long it takes to loose back after holidays

ANSWERED

Hi guys,

I'm just curious to find out how you stay on this matter:

- how much kilos (or lbs) you add to your height after holidays (Christmas, New Year) and how long it takes to recover let's say?

Here is my case:

- had 80.1 kgs before Christmas (December 24th) and arrive to 81.2 kg on December 27th (+ 1.1kg) Smiley Sad

- start on 80.4 kg on December 31st and today I've 81.4 kgs (+ 1kg)

What's strange is that I've eat around 2200-2500 calories all 25, 26 and 31 December days where my TDEE = 2300 calories so...I was not overeat too much but.

Also, I've hit almost daily my goal of 12.500 steps.

What I'm worried is that it will take probably several days to reduce my weight around 80 kgs again.

So...is this normal?

Catalin | RO | Fitbit Charge 2, iPhone 6
Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

It’s very hard to gain 1.1 kg (2.4 lb) of real weight in just three days: that would require a total surplus of 2.4 x 3500 = 8400 calories, ie. 2800 calories per day. It’s unlikely you would have overeaten that much, since you appeared to have tracked your intake. So most likely it is water gain. I don’t know what are the traditional Romanian foods for Christmas, but maybe it includes more salty items than what you usually eat, which would result in water retention.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
6 REPLIES 6

It’s very hard to gain 1.1 kg (2.4 lb) of real weight in just three days: that would require a total surplus of 2.4 x 3500 = 8400 calories, ie. 2800 calories per day. It’s unlikely you would have overeaten that much, since you appeared to have tracked your intake. So most likely it is water gain. I don’t know what are the traditional Romanian foods for Christmas, but maybe it includes more salty items than what you usually eat, which would result in water retention.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

Hi Dominique,

Usually Romanian food are very unhealthy during the Christmas   - see here one of the examples https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarma_(food) but I was tried to stay away of these :))

Anyway, my body fat mass has remain at the the same value (in kgs not percentage).

Anyway it should be water retention due to probably salty food, I will see in the next days.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Your weight will fluctuate all the time. It could what you ate the day before.

Too Much Sodium?

Was any alcohol involved?

For me at least sodium always adds to my weight even though I stay within my calories.

But it comes off pretty fast to. I drink more water to flush it out.

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

Hi Wendy,

nothing in excess - 1-2 glasses of wine per new night max. Some salty foods maybe around 50% of total food.

Usually I don't eat salty at all.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi guys,

Your advice really helped me. After drinking > 2 liters of water yesterday today I'm back to initial weight before New Year (80 kgs).

So...it really matters if we eat salty food and how much water we drink.

Thanks!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@katanel wrote:

Hi Wendy,

. Some salty foods maybe around 50% of total food.

Usually I don't eat salty at all.

Thats a  lot of salt.

But glad  you are back down again

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer
0 Votes