Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How often do you weigh yourself? Very curious because i hate looking at the scales

How often do you weigh yourself? Very curious because i hate looking at the scales

Best Answer
0 Votes
11 REPLIES 11

1x a week....might be too often but I need a somewhat objective checkin

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Traceyh23 wrote:

I currently weight myself every day just to fine tune my exercise regime to learn what works and what does not in loosing weight.  Otherwise, if I am just maintaining weight; probably I will look at it once a month.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Usually, daily. Regardless of how often you weigh, using a site like Trendweight to smooth out the peaks and valleys gives a better long-term view of progress.

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer

It’s a question that comes over and over again:

2018-08-07_0816.png

As to hating to look at the number on the scales, I suggest you listen to the 7-minute bit of the podcast referenced in relationship to the scale.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

@WavyDavey wrote:

Usually, daily. Regardless of how often you weigh, using a site like Trendweight to smooth out the peaks and valleys gives a better long-term view of progress.

I second the recommendation for TrendWeight. However, I’d add it works best with daily data points.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

I'm obsessive about weighing myself. I weigh myself after I wake up then weight myself after work and exercise then finally weigh myself before I go to bed. The trend is:

high: morning

low: evening - before dinner but after exercise

high: bedtime - a few hours after dinner (hopefully I weigh less than my morning weigh in)

I am trying to do a calorie deficit by eating one meal a day which is dinner. Please note: I've been doing this regimen for a week so it might not work in the long term.

Best Answer
0 Votes

About once a month.  I have a good idea +/- 5 pounds of what I weigh week to week.  I prefer the mirror, strength tests and the all important "Target Mom double takes"

Best Answer

I weight myself daily at this point in time, and I use trendweight to see the trend. I am currently losing weight, so it's important for me to stay on top of the weight loss and make modification to my diet as I closely monitor my weight. I weight myself once every morning. If I were in maintenance mode I probably would weight myself once a day, once I felt comfortable that I was getting the right amount of food and exercise, I would then weight myself every few days, maybe once a week once a strong pattern was established.

I have lost weight without weighing myself daily, but I find I stay much more honest and accountable to myself with a daily weight in, making the hard work of dieting more satisfying by getting feedback from the scale. I also look at the trend and not the up and down of my daily weight.

I think it's important not to define yourself by the number of the scale, but rather celebrate your journey as you lose weight over time. Weight loss is a long term endeavor, not an overnight stint. If you hate looking at the scale, then I would suggest you disengage from that number emotionally. It's just a number, use it to help you set goals and achieve them over time. Time being the factor here...longer than a few days...look at it in terms of months.

Best Answer

Daily.  And like some others here I’ve linked my fitbit account to TrendWeight which calculates a moving average of sorts.  

I think the very act of weighing first thing in the morning helps me emphasize my long term weight management goals at least once early every day and maybe plan a bit on what to eat before the rest of life takes over and I default into grab and go processed food that can grow a body big.

As to hating to look at the scale, change it to kilograms if you are used to seeing pounds, (or vice versa) so the daily number is relatively meaningless to your brain, and then focus on getting the trend line to go in the direction of your long term goals.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer

daily for the last 5 years. I know what my number will be before stepping on because of how long and how managed my lifestyle is. I know I will weigh the least on Saturday after my run because of the water loss. I know I will weigh the most Monday morning after I walk the dogs because of the weekend (I enjoy my weekend nights). I know by Wednesday morning I will be back to my pre weekend weight and so it goes week over week. As long as my average stays at my sweet spot- I am a happy camper. As far as hating the scales... all it is doing is showing you what you already know. If you want to change the outcome, you have to change the beginning and the middle.. 

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

Daily.. which is excessive.

I only note the numbers down on a Sunday morning though. The rest is just habit/obsession.

Terri Taylor
Best Answer
0 Votes