Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hypothyroidsm

ANSWERED

Good morning everyone! I have been so frustrated, because I have a hard time losing weight . My thyroid makes it even harder. I've been taking Synthroid for a couple of years. Since I bought my Fitbit in November, I have gained weight. I started out slow with my walking. First 5000 steps then 8'000 steps now I'm at 10,.000 steps.I don't eat very much so I was getting a little down.

This week I went to an Endocrinologist and am so happy! She is running the proper blood tests and is getting to the root of my problem. She put me on a low calorie diet for 2 weeks and I am finally losing weight!!!! I know, I won't be able to stay at this calorie level for long but it feels good to see results.

Does anyone else out there have Hypothyroidism? If so let's chat! Thanks for any advice our encouragement you can give. I'm looking for friends who suffer with this condition as well.

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@Kelsie49   I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism when I was 19. It was a hard concept for me to grasp because the symptoms all piled on so quickly.

I went from a high energy teen with gorgeous thick flowing blonde locks, who would wear shorts in the middle of winter at the Ski resorts in Colorado ( where I have grown up) to being cold all the time, me finger nails becoming brittle and hair falling out in clump ( not to mention extreme dullness) and needing multiple naps a day just to function like a normal human being.

It wasn't until after a brain injury a year and a half later that I found out I had Hashimoto's.

I grieved for a long time about my the diagnosis, then moved on to acceptance. This involved quarterly blood draw, higher doses of medication ( almost every time), diet recommendations ( and failures), suppliments, etc...

I finally became a mom at age 25 after being told I would never have children due to the disease.

After having my son 1.5 years ago, I started on my journey to conquer this auto-immune disease.

I had gained 72lbs during my pregnancy and have not been able to shed more than 17. My doctors are at crossroads and have switched up my medication 3 times with no success. I just bought the book Hashimoto's Protocol to follow a 90 day challenge to try and get my failing thyroid into remission.

Just started yesterday, so I will see how this goes.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
16 REPLIES 16

I don’t have that condition, so I cannot relate, but I read a blog post some time ago by a young guy who has Hashimoto and is also a medical student and recreational weight lifter that I found very interesting:

http://www.thewhitecoatfitness.com/hypothyroidism-from-diagnosis-to-living/ 

The takeaway message I got from it is how important it is to find the right doc who’s able to determine the right medication for you, as it’s clearly not a black & white, one-size-fits-all thing. I’m glad to hear you’ve been able to find one. All the best with your weight loss! 

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

Hi @Kelsie49! I have Hasimoto's and had a hard time getting the best help. My endo says many doctors don't shoot for the right TSH numbers (my endo likes me around 1.0-1.4), so you end up not taking enough synthroid to get it properly under control. Now that I am, I'm actually succeeding (though it was getting my fibromyalgia under control that really kicked the weight loss into high gear) and have lost 25 pounds since the beginning of the year.

I'm glad your doc is working with you to lose the weight. Hypothyroidism is a pain in the neck (pun intended) and it's easier to control without all the extra weight we hypos tend to carry around.

Good luck to you!

Best Answer

I am interested in what you have to say I have been doing a lot of research and I am thinking I have hypothyroidism! What kind of diet did she put you on? and does the medication help?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello I am interested in what you have to say. I have been doing a lot of research and think I may have this as well maybe I can pick your brain about it a little? What kind of diet did your doctor put you on and does the medication help at all?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello I am interested in what you have to say. I have been doing a lot of research and think I may have this as well maybe I can pick your brain about it a little? What kind of diet did your doctor put you on and does the medication help at all?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have hypothyroidism. It is even hard for me to lose weight. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Jena13

If you think you might have this I suggest visiting a doctor.

Karolien | The Netherlands

Best Answer

@Jena13 wrote:

I have been doing a lot of research and think I may have this as well maybe I can pick your brain about it a little?

@Jena13: check this older post about the markers that need to be tested (TSH, T3, T4).

Although I had no particular reason to believe my thyroid wouldn’t be working as it should, I had these tests performed last June, just to be sure. Here are what the results look like (2nd column from the right are my actual values, right-most column is the reference range):

2017-04-18_1158.png

Everything was within the normal range, so I left it there. This is what you should have measured if you think it may be an issue for you. Or do as @Esya suggested: go and see a doctor, who will probably have these tests performed if needed.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

@Kelsie49   I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism when I was 19. It was a hard concept for me to grasp because the symptoms all piled on so quickly.

I went from a high energy teen with gorgeous thick flowing blonde locks, who would wear shorts in the middle of winter at the Ski resorts in Colorado ( where I have grown up) to being cold all the time, me finger nails becoming brittle and hair falling out in clump ( not to mention extreme dullness) and needing multiple naps a day just to function like a normal human being.

It wasn't until after a brain injury a year and a half later that I found out I had Hashimoto's.

I grieved for a long time about my the diagnosis, then moved on to acceptance. This involved quarterly blood draw, higher doses of medication ( almost every time), diet recommendations ( and failures), suppliments, etc...

I finally became a mom at age 25 after being told I would never have children due to the disease.

After having my son 1.5 years ago, I started on my journey to conquer this auto-immune disease.

I had gained 72lbs during my pregnancy and have not been able to shed more than 17. My doctors are at crossroads and have switched up my medication 3 times with no success. I just bought the book Hashimoto's Protocol to follow a 90 day challenge to try and get my failing thyroid into remission.

Just started yesterday, so I will see how this goes.

Best Answer

Have the same issues. Unless i liquid diet or fast, no matter what i do, my thyroid just doesn't cooperate

Best Answer

I have had Hashimoto's for about 20 years. I started with .25 Synthroid and am now up to .75mcg.  Dr advised me to lose weight, and I would lose some then gain it back. I did that several times. Then about 6 years ago, she diagnosed me with high blood pressure. I've been on different meds for that, almost all of them requiring a diuretic -- which I hate. I'm a teacher and cannot run to the bathroom every hour!

Then about 8 months ago, I was diagnosed with diabetes. My dr sent me to a workshop about proper diet, exercise, and they touched upon us "triple threats" that have more than one problem going on. It took a LOT, but I finally lost 30 lbs. My diabetes is under control. My cholesterol, which ran high for the last couple of years, went back to normal. I have had to switch to a different BP med, which halved the diuretic (Hallelujah and pass the champagne!).  The only thing that hasn't really changed is my TSH/T3/T4 tests, though the doctor remains hopeful that the next blood draw could indicate that it has changed.  

Losing weight was NOT easy, but here is how I did it -- maybe it can help someone here. I used the plate method: 1/4 of the plate is protein (LEAN protein), 1/4 of the plate is starch, and 1/2 the plate is non-starchy vegetables.  I was encouraged to eat a lot of salad as a meal or as a side, but to be sure to include lean protein on it if it was a meal, and to use a small amount of dressing.  I read labels, I asked for (and received) a food scale for Christmas, and I use my measuring cups to ensure that I wasn't cheating on serving size.  Bypass the staff lounge or anywhere the fattening "no-no's" abound in your workplace. When in the grocery store, spend more time on the outer aisles  (produce, meats, dairy),and try not to visit the junk food aisles.  When visiting the middle aisles, look UP, that's where a lot of the healthier foods are, especially in the cereal aisle.  Eat real fruit, real vegetables, not juice or smoothies which often take out the fibrous portions of the produce that is healthier for you. And -- big thing here for some folks -- watch out what you order at coffeehouses like Starbucks. Too many times, they are loaded with fat and sugar. 

Exercise was a big key for me. I hated it. I never really enjoyed calisthenics like you did in PE class or in military boot camp, nor am I a runner (despite what my FitBit moniker says on the left).  So I had to find something that I really *like* doing and wouldn't mind doing it *every day*. Fortunately for me, walking is enjoyable. I just didn't do enough of it at first. I teach Kindergarten, so I get my kids up and moving for "brain breaks", so I move with them. They laugh when they see teacher doing some of those crazy things!  But the thing I enjoy the most was found on PBS-TV: a conditioning and strengthening exercise program called "Classical Stretch". That one appealed to me because I have a strong background (as a kid) in ballet and dance. So I think the key here is to find an exercise that you actually like and will do 5 days a week (or more).  

The other key that helped me was a support system. My mom has struggled with her weight for years, as did her mother. So when I made the decision to get the weight off because of the diabetes and the Hashimoto's, my mom was supportive. So was my boss, and several other teachers who joined me in the long haul of weight loss.

Am I done? For now, yes. I could probably take off another 10 lbs. But at the moment, I just want to see if I can maintain for 6 months before starting up again.  Besides, I just replaced all my pants. That gets a bit pricey!  If I had a recommendation to anyone else, it would be to "pay yourself". For every pound you lose, put $5 or $10 in a jar.  By the time you lose 20 lbs, you'll be able to buy yourself some new pants.  

Hope this can help someone else -- but I am with you in your frustration over weight loss and Hashimoto's. It is enough to make you slam your head against a brick wall!

Donna 

Best Answer

I have hypothyroidism too. I was diagnosed last spring and at first the levothyroxine helped, but my doctor was too scared to raise it because my tsh was under 2, but I was feeling like death and was practically bedridden b/c of the fatigue. I found an integrative medicine doctor who did a whole panel of tests and then I switched to natural desiccated thyroid. I know that can be a controversial medication, but for me, it's working. Make sure you check everything, not just TSH - total T4 and T3, Free T4 and T3, and reverse T3.  Turns out that I feel best when my TSH is around 0.5 and my Free T3 are in the upper half. I had some problems with reverse T3 being a bit high and am on supplementation to help with that. If you still don't feel well, speak up. Don't be afraid to be your own advocate. 

It's been a hell of a year and I also found out about some other hormonal imbalances and leaky gut. Everything seems to be back on track and my energy is back. Losing weight is going very slowly, but it is happening. I try to eat very clean, high protein, low-ish carb (I definitely do eat carbs though, especially around workouts), otherwise it affects my energy. I'm ok with the slow fat loss, as long as I feel good and can perform my workouts.

Best of luck! Let us know your progress.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've been hypo for years.  When I was undertreated my weight ballooned no matter what my caloric intake was.  I'm on Synthroid now & I have my Free T3 and Free T4 checked every 3 months to make sure I'm in range.  In just over a year I've lost 50 pounds.  I eat between 2200 and 2400 calories per day.  I also walk 5-6 miles five times a week.  Some of the things that helped me included quitting all artificial sweeteners, quitting all soda, focusing on my fruit & veg intake, not taking my calories below 2000 otherwise my body hoards them, increasing my protein to at least 15% every single day, significantly reducing my processed food intake, switching to homemade yogurt + herbs for my salad dressings instead of processed ones, absolutely no foods labeled "diet" or "reduced fat" because they're almost always more processed and they've replaced fats with refined carbs that just leave one feeling hungry again soon after eating.  I also snack on fruit and vegetables etc.  I do still have dessert once a day + a square of chocolate with my lunch.  Good luck to you.  Hopefully you're already seeing success with the changes you've made.  The key - beyond a healthy wholesome diet and exercise - is getting the right dose of levothyroxine so that your metabolism is where it should be.

Best Answer

Thank you, I am seeing a PCP and an Endo. 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Jaci, I was just wondering how your doing? Was the book helpful? Inquiring minds want to know. LOL. Thanks,

Kelsie

Best Answer
0 Votes

Kelsie, The book was amazing! I lost around 15lbs by cutting items out of my diet alone. My thyroid levels have finally calmed down and I now am back to 6 months between visits. The book has a lot of great resources and tips of how to get through it. I'm sticking with a mostly paleo diet as it is what makes me feel the best. no dairy, no gluten.... They make me lethargic and sick. I recommend the book as it guided me to look at my lifestyle, though healthy, and determine what was continuing to hold me down.

Best Answer