Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Under Active Thyroid Anyone?

ANSWERED

Hi Everyone...

Just wanted to reach out and ask if anyone using Fitbit has an under active thyroid and ISNT using medication out there?

I suffer with all the usual symptoms, but didn't want to start the medication - and you can imagine that the weight increase is pretty awful. I'm looking to find some supporters out there who have similar challenges for some motivation and some tips on how to make my weight loss work without having to use meds...

Man Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes
23 REPLIES 23
I believe in doing things as naturally as I can. I have hypothyroidism as well & have had it for years. I use Armour Thyroid, have been for years, which is not the synthetic Synthroid. It is derived from an animal, but these are far more effective & can do things in the body that synthetic prescriptions cannot do. I cannot take the synthetic. They do not work.

You still need a prescription to get this from your pharmacy. I believe there is one other natural glandular you can get as well. I forget the name but it's the same thing as Armour Thyroid & you still need a prescription for it.

My M.D. believes in natural things & has been very supportive of me with my decision. If you want to try it & have a doctor who will not prescribe the natural but tries ro push synthetics on you, find another doctor.

Do not try these glandulars sold by health food stores & natural companies. They are famous for what's inside the bottle not being the same as what's on the label, & the amount is not even consistent from bottle to bottle. They usually have a lot less in them than the label states. If you are not having a consistent dosage daily it would be impossible to find the amount that is right for you.

When you have thyroid tests run, (this is general information for everyone), make sure they don't just order the TSH - thyroid stimulating hormone - test. Tell them to also run the free T3 & free T4. I believe there may be one or two others you need to have them run as well, but a good Google search will turn up many good articles about what tests need to be run. My low thyroid shows up under the free T3 & never would have been found had I not read an article that told me what to request, as my TSH was always normal.
Best Answer
0 Votes

You know I really didn't notice any symptoms when I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Maybe I was just ignoring the signs. I just noticed that I wasn't losing weight and I was getting mad. LOL. I just got bloodwork done this week. All levels normal. I have been on Synthroid 75 for the last 6 months. My nails are still paperthin. My skin is dry. I have been eating junk for the past several months and not working out due  to an injury. I have gained several pounds more. I am back at the gym and doing the trying the clean eating thing  We shall see. I really need to concentrate on the eating and staying away from sugar. When I had  my lady parts,( ovaries and uterus), I was very active and got down to a size 4.  I am sure that was when my thyroid was functioning. Did any of you out there have any symptoms of when you think your thyroid was malfunctioning? I think I was having feelings of a sore throat and a feeling of a lump in my throat or burning. I was so busy with many more things going on in my life at the time that I failed to go to the doctor for these symptoms.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Just read your post and was wondering if you gained weight AFTER starting the thyroid meds. Is this normal? I thought it was suppose to help you lose weight.

Thanks

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just read your post and would love to get more information about how you handled tjjis problem without meds. If you feel comfortable sharing please let me know.

Best Answer
0 Votes