Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong

ANSWERED

Hi. So I have a lot of weight to lose before January (I'm getting married in Feb) and I'm struggling. I've always struggled to lose weight and all my blood tests say the hormones are normal. 

Now I see a dietician and currently eat between 1500 and 2000 calories a day. 2500 if it's a cheat day. I set my fitbit to a 750 cal defecit and it always tells me I'm under budget. 

I also spin for 35min a day keeping my HR between 145 and 165 bpm. I walk the full 10 000 steps a day at the minimum and I do a minimum of 10 flights of stairs a day. I do this 6 days a week.  All in all I burn between 3000 and 3800 calories a day and yet I am not losing weight or centimetres.  Am I doing something wrong?

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@Ashym wrote:

I log each and every thing I eat. It's all weighed and packed. The calorie variance depends on if I have carbs that day or the type of protein I eat for the day. It also varies on if I have one or 2 snacks (i eat 6 small meals a day) which generally consists of a fruit or nuts etc. I am extremely strict when it comes to my food and don't eat anything unless I have made it myself. The most common daily intake is around 2000 calories. I dont cook with any kind of oil. I dont add salt. I only drink tea or water and i dont eat sugar. I am meticulous with what I eat. 

I believe you. However, you are confusing a theoretical deficit for an actual deficit. The calories burned that your fitbit gives you are based on averages; it's what someone your gender, age, weight, height and heart rate would usually burn doing that activity. Your actual results will vary because humans are individuals. That's probably a big part of why my 1000 calorie deficit only ends up being a 683 calorie deficit on the scale. Additionally, when you log strawberries that you have carefully weighed, you are estimating their calories based on an average that has been determined by testing other strawberries. You may be eating a different variety than what was tested. 

Humans have a wide range in how much people of the same size need to maintain or lose weight. I'm sure that you know skinny, tiny people who eat a lot more and move a lot less than you do. I know several people who eat a lot more than I do, move a lot less and have always been small. There was a study done with rats at Kent University that was pretty interesting. Basically, some people have really efficient muscles that burn less calories, people who naturally tend to be fat, and some people have really inefficient muscles that burn a lot more calories, people who tend to be thin. You can read part of it here, would have to hit up a library to read the whole thing: http://gradworks.umi.com/37/32/3732324.html

Basically, while you are logging a 750 calorie deficit, unfortunately either you or the food you are eating or a combination of the two aren't the same as the average. If I was you, I would sign up for trendweight and link it to your fitbit account so you only have to log your weight in one place. Then, I would switch to a 1000 calorie deficit. If you have really lost no weight at all at a 750 calorie deficit since August of last year, than maybe a theoretical 1000 calorie deficit would be a 250 calorie actual deficit for you. Do you know what I mean? This is not a criticism of your logging, it's just that a deficit = weight loss. So, while the math looks like a deficit has occurred, the results indicate that it isn't actually happening because you simply are burning less calories than the average. 

This article is a good part rubbish, but, it does have some interesting facts in it:

http://www.sparkpeople.com/blog/blog.asp?post=the_most_accurate_way_to_measure_your_metabolism

It's about a product for testing resting metabolic rate or RMR. If you scroll down in the article you will see the results these people got. You will notice that the slimmest person in the group, Nicole, ended up with an RMR score of 2410 which is quite high! When you use an RMR calculator, her metabolic rate should only be 1755. She's burning a full 655 calories more at rest than she should be burning. Jeff who got a result of 2230 should be burning 1965 at rest, a discrepancy of 265 calories. Jaime got a result of 2190 but according to an RMR calculator should be burning 1845 calories for a discrepancy of 345 calories. Now, I find it strange that everyone is burning more than they should be burning and would be tempted to say that the machine wasn't calibrated correctly. But, even so, the person burning the most in relation to the average RMR score is, no surprise, the thin person who hasn't had a weight problem. These tests were performed using something called a MedGem. New Leaf is supposed to be a more accurate device and many people agree that the medgem overestimates a bit. So, I'm not recommending it, I just thought it was interesting that the thinnest person had the highest metabolic rate. 

In other words, if all of these people used their fitbit numbers and their estimated calorie burns and logged perfectly, Nicole would be losing more weight simply because she burns a lot more than the average. 

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
51 REPLIES 51

How long have you been on this plan?

Best Answer
0 Votes

The eating plan since last August and the full exercise plan just over 2 months now.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Ashymwrote:

Now I see a dietician and currently eat between 1500 and 2000 calories a day. 2500 if it's a cheat day.

To me it sounds like this is your problem. You have no idea how much you are eating. 1500 - 2500 is a huge calories range. So are you eating 1500 calories or 2500 calories? If it varies that much, how much is the average for the week? And is it consistent week after week? You don't have to answer me, but answer yourself honestly. You have to be way more precise about how much you eat. Log all the small bites and tastes (including those during cooking) and drinks (drinks can add up calories real quickly). You will have to be brutally honest with yourself if you want to lose weight.

Karolien | The Netherlands

Best Answer
0 Votes

Ugh, I had typed a long response to you, but apparently Fitbit ate it.. lol

Anyways, I was just going to say that I've been logging everything I eat since April 1st. I use the 1000 calorie deficits and up until this week I was always at a 1000 calorie deficit, this week was more like a 700 calorie deficit as I'm on vacation. I use a site called trendweight that is recommended a lot around here and let's you see what your deficit actually is. Here's mine. 

trendweight20170523.JPG

As you can see, my 1000 calorie deficit is only really a 683 calorie deficit, so, off by more than 300 calories with careful logging. I weigh my food with a digital scale and log everything. I will even log if I eat 5 mini M&M's. This difference is because of a variety of factors, I may burn less calories than a typical woman of my size and activity level. The food I am eating may vary in calories from the food that was tested to determine the nutritional label. 

In other words, even if you are logging very carefully, your 750 calorie deficit may just be a 300 calorie deficit which would be pretty easy to erase with a cheat day. 

Best Answer

I log each and every thing I eat. It's all weighed and packed. The calorie variance depends on if I have carbs that day or the type of protein I eat for the day. It also varies on if I have one or 2 snacks (i eat 6 small meals a day) which generally consists of a fruit or nuts etc. I am extremely strict when it comes to my food and don't eat anything unless I have made it myself. The most common daily intake is around 2000 calories. I dont cook with any kind of oil. I dont add salt. I only drink tea or water and i dont eat sugar. I am meticulous with what I eat. 

Best Answer

I would look at your diet. Not how many calories, but how many grams of carbs you're eating. That and any high sodium foods you are currently eating. Different people require different amounts of carbs and you could be like me. I just don't handle carbs well so I have to keep my carbs very low. The body uses carbs as its main source of energy, but the idea with weight loss is to use up your already stored energy (fat). So if you lower the number of carbs you're eating the body will start to burn fat for energy. To me, it doesn't make sense why people will chow down on all these carbs and still expect to lose weight. It may work for a period of time, but eventually, you're going to have to lower your carbs. I have to keep my carbs down to no more than 50 grams. That number may be different for you. When you do reach your weight loss goal you can increase your carb intake a little bit, but right now you can't risk that because you will end up putting yourself in a never-ending, frustrating cycle that you can't get out of. If you really want to lose the weight, there are no cheat days. This is a lifestyle change. If you want some ice cream or something once in a blue moon, that's okay. The thing is all you are doing is delaying your progress with cheat days.

Best Answer
0 Votes
The only carbs I eat are 30g of a wheat bran breakfast cereal in the mornings other than that no carbs unless it's a cheat meal which is usually a burger or 2 slices of pizza and that's once maybe twice a month. 

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
Best Answer
0 Votes

If you are not losing weight after 6 weeks, there has to be something wrong with the calories in or the calories out. Seeing how you are tracking what you eat (I am sorry, your opening post just did not make it sound like you did and just trying to help you solve this riddle), we have to look at the calories out side of the coin then. They could be overestimated. How do you get to the 3000 to 3800 calories burned? Do you use a HR enabled tracker (they tend to overestimate calories burned)? To me 3000 to 3800 sounds very high, but I have no experience with spinning and I know that can be intense. Since you do spinning daily, you might be more efficient at it and burning less than someone who is new to it though. Do you wear a HR chest band during spinning? You could try switching up your work outs, so you surprise your body a bit more where it gets a bit less used to the routine. It can help getting that heart rate up again.

Also we are humans. It might take time to find the point where you start to lose weight for your current activity level.

Karolien | The Netherlands

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Ashym wrote:

All in all I burn between 3000 and 3800 calories a day

3000-3800 sounds like a lot for a female, even a young one. Have you double-checked the numbers with an online calculator like this one? If you enter your age, height, weight and select Maintain weight, what do you get for TDEE with light and moderate as the activity levels? If it’s less than 3000 (as I think), your Fitbit may be overestimating your energy expenditure by quite a bit.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

@Ashym wrote:

I believe you. However, you are confusing a theoretical deficit for an actual deficit. The calories burned that your fitbit gives you are based on averages; it's what someone your gender, age, weight, height and heart rate would usually burn doing that activity. Your actual results will vary because humans are individuals. That's probably a big part of why my 1000 calorie deficit only ends up being a 683 calorie deficit on the scale. Additionally, when you log strawberries that you have carefully weighed, you are estimating their calories based on an average that has been determined by testing other strawberries. You may be eating a different variety than what was tested. 

Humans have a wide range in how much people of the same size need to maintain or lose weight. I'm sure that you know skinny, tiny people who eat a lot more and move a lot less than you do. I know several people who eat a lot more than I do, move a lot less and have always been small. There was a study done with rats at Kent University that was pretty interesting. Basically, some people have really efficient muscles that burn less calories, people who naturally tend to be fat, and some people have really inefficient muscles that burn a lot more calories, people who tend to be thin. You can read part of it here, would have to hit up a library to read the whole thing: http://gradworks.umi.com/37/32/3732324.html

Basically, while you are logging a 750 calorie deficit, unfortunately either you or the food you are eating or a combination of the two aren't the same as the average. If I was you, I would sign up for trendweight and link it to your fitbit account so you only have to log your weight in one place. Then, I would switch to a 1000 calorie deficit. If you have really lost no weight at all at a 750 calorie deficit since August of last year, than maybe a theoretical 1000 calorie deficit would be a 250 calorie actual deficit for you. Do you know what I mean? This is not a criticism of your logging, it's just that a deficit = weight loss. So, while the math looks like a deficit has occurred, the results indicate that it isn't actually happening because you simply are burning less calories than the average. 

This article is a good part rubbish, but, it does have some interesting facts in it:

http://www.sparkpeople.com/blog/blog.asp?post=the_most_accurate_way_to_measure_your_metabolism

It's about a product for testing resting metabolic rate or RMR. If you scroll down in the article you will see the results these people got. You will notice that the slimmest person in the group, Nicole, ended up with an RMR score of 2410 which is quite high! When you use an RMR calculator, her metabolic rate should only be 1755. She's burning a full 655 calories more at rest than she should be burning. Jeff who got a result of 2230 should be burning 1965 at rest, a discrepancy of 265 calories. Jaime got a result of 2190 but according to an RMR calculator should be burning 1845 calories for a discrepancy of 345 calories. Now, I find it strange that everyone is burning more than they should be burning and would be tempted to say that the machine wasn't calibrated correctly. But, even so, the person burning the most in relation to the average RMR score is, no surprise, the thin person who hasn't had a weight problem. These tests were performed using something called a MedGem. New Leaf is supposed to be a more accurate device and many people agree that the medgem overestimates a bit. So, I'm not recommending it, I just thought it was interesting that the thinnest person had the highest metabolic rate. 

In other words, if all of these people used their fitbit numbers and their estimated calorie burns and logged perfectly, Nicole would be losing more weight simply because she burns a lot more than the average. 

Best Answer

@Ashym wrote:

Hi. So I have a lot of weight to lose before January (I'm getting married in Feb) and I'm struggling. I've always struggled to lose weight and all my blood tests say the hormones are normal. 

Now I see a dietician and currently eat between 1500 and 2000 calories a day. 2500 if it's a cheat day. I set my fitbit to a 750 cal defecit and it always tells me I'm under budget. 

I also spin for 35min a day keeping my HR between 145 and 165 bpm. I walk the full 10 000 steps a day at the minimum and I do a minimum of 10 flights of stairs a day. I do this 6 days a week.  All in all I burn between 3000 and 3800 calories a day and yet I am not losing weight or centimetres.  Am I doing something wrong?

I'm not sure what your stats are (height, weight, age, etc.) but your calories burned seems pretty high. I do cardio for at least 30 minutes a day, take 10k steps daily and do a minimum of 12 flights of stairs a day, 7 days a week and I only burn a max of 2200 calories a day. Granted I'm pretty close to my goal weight of 128 lbs but even in the beginning I never burned anywhere near 3000 let alone 3800. 

If eating between 1500-2000 is not working for you, I would lower your calorie intake and increase your deficit to 1000. This will create a 250 calorie "cushion" for errors in inputting foods and/or over-estimations for calories burned. Remember....it's more your diet than staying active. If you are eating at a deficit, you are bound to lose weight. That's where I would start if I were you. Hope that helps!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Dominique wrote:

@Ashym wrote:

All in all I burn between 3000 and 3800 calories a day

3000-3800 sounds like a lot for a female, even a young one. Have you double-checked the numbers with an online calculator like this one? If you enter your age, height, weight and select Maintain weight, what do you get for TDEE with light and moderate as the activity levels? If it’s less than 3000 (as I think), your Fitbit may be overestimating your energy expenditure by quite a bit.

I have to agree with Dom here.  I'm a 270 pound dude and it took me 14K steps and 69 active minutes  (including a 30 minute run in the a.m. and another hour of weights/pylo in the in the afternoon) to get to 3900 calories

Best Answer

There is a persistent myth that carbs can turn into fat. This is based on a study done on lab rats in the late 50's. Rats can turn carbs to fat, but humans can't. (Link) If people eat excess carbs, even sugar, the person will either lose their appetite or burn the carbs up by generating heat or increasing activity. Increasing activity will happen at the cellular level. The reason sugar gets a bad rep is it's mostly eaten with fat. Sugar in soda can cause problems with the pancreas, so it's not so good. 

Any excess fat a person eats turns right to fat. The body sends a signal to eat more food because it's carbs that satisfy hunger.

If you are eating 50 grams of carbs (200 calories) a day, what's the rest of the 2,000 calories? That's right. Mostly fat which turns to directly to fat if not burned almost right away.. Excess protein can also turn to fat, but more likely it's expelled through the kidneys which will reduce their function over the years. It also causes cancer to grow, gallstones to form, and leads to heart disease and strokes. 

These 14 videos will explain most of the research that is out there. They will explain why low-carb diets are killing people.

Best Answer

@Ashym wrote:

1. Regardless of the reason why your numbers are off. I mean, I have hypothyroidism and so the FitBit estimate is definitely wrong, but using my own spreadsheet, validated by Trendweight, I figured out where and what to adjust and the pounds simply melted off. Subtract 500 from the FitBit estimate, drop your intake by 10%, track THAT deficit and see where things go.
Best Answer
I'm sorry if I got a little defensive there I'm just very frustrated. Yes I use a HR monitor while I exercise and that is how I measured my calorie burn. I generally try to keep my HR between 70% and 80% of my resting HR when I exercise and I check it with a pulse oximeter (I'm a paramedic, it's used to measure HR and oxygen saturation levels in the blood)
Best Answer
0 Votes

Guys, I'm at ~250 at the moment, doing a little over 11,000 average daily steps over the last 28-days and my calories burned are over 3000.  So, all depends on the weight.  Woman Happy

@Ashym- a couple of thoughts with all the chatter on the thread.  I'm kind of picking and choosing through the already good suggestions.

1. Increase your deficit to 1000 calories

2. Log everything (including your cheat days)

3. Try and time your cheat days with your higher calories burned days

4. Sign up for a free account on trendweight.

I started last year at 360 pounds, and that wasn't my highest.  I only mention that as I've found the forums here to be very supportive.  However, not giving details about age, current start weight and goals makes it harder for people to try and help.  Using myself as an example my 'lot of weight' to lose is probably 200 pounds.  Others post about their OMG 25 pounds to lose.  Strategies can be quite different depending on where you are and where you need to go.

Anne | Rural Ontario, Canada

Ionic (gifted), Alta HR (gifted), Charge 2, Flex 2, Charge HR, One, Blaze (retired), Trendweight.com,

Down 150 pounds from my top weight (and still going), sharing my experiences here to try and help others.

Best Answer
I'm currently 260 lbs. I'm female. 27 years old. I'm trying to drop at least 60lbs before January and have been trying since last August. I eat clean and log everything and always over estimate the calorie range on fitbit just in case. I have hypothyroidism but am being treated for it and currently my blood tests show I'm well within the normal thyroid hormone levels on treatment. I spin with high resistance for 35 min 6 days a week with my HR range being between 145 and 165bpm. Manually confirmed during the workout. My resting HR is 63bpm.  I walk on average 4 miles a day 7 days a week and do a minimum of 10 flights of stairs. My water intake is currently 85oz and I'm slowly increasing that. I don't drink carbonated drinks or fruit juices. I don't drink alcohol or caffeine. I avoid carbs and refined processed foods. All of my proteins are weighed according to recommendation of a dietician. I have now signed up for a trendweight account as well but I think I've also hit a plateau. I started half heartedly trying to lose weight last January before I started eating clean or getting more active and managed to drop from 298lbs. Nut since I started with the avid health kick for my wedding it's stopped dropping. Inches have also stopped dropping. 
Best Answer
0 Votes

260 pounds is about 117kg. All I can do is tell you what I did at that weight but I don't have hypothyroidism so I'm not sure if my system was beneficial to you. I went down to 1700 kcal a day. Ate clean. Porridge for breakfast, lunch was 150g lean protein and salad. Dinner again 150g lean protein with steamed verges. I dress all my salads and verges with olive oil or avocado oil.then 2 snacks a day of fruit and nuts. Everything was weighed and logged meticulously. Drink warm water with lemon or apple cider vinegar everymorning when you wake up. It gets ur metabolism running for the day.

i hired a trainer twice a week. Expensive I know but body weight exercises are very important and I went into this without any knowledge so for me it's been more then worth it. She changed my diet a little. I have 2 high carb no fat days on my training days. I eat those at maintenance. I have one no carb high fat day a week and then the other 4 days are at my normal eating habits to date(as above). This system is supposedly to keep my body constantly shocked so that I don't plateau. Apparently she's changing it again soon 😅

My trainer has me do a half hr of cardio everymorning before I eat breakfast as it increases fat burn. Then I can't eat for 2 hrs after a session at the gym. I do 4 to 5 days at the gym a week depending on my work schedule. 

Move lost over 35 kilos in bout 7 months (77 pounds) and am currently at a weight of about 88 kg (194 pounds) I'm on 1900 kcal at the moment due to my activity levels being higher then ever and I wanna slow my weight loss back.

thats been my system to date. I can't promise it'll work for you but I certainly hope it'll help.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Forgot to mention I drink green tea with every meal. Can't say it makes any difference but supposedly it helps ur metabolism 🙈

Best Answer
0 Votes