Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keep Calm, Keto On!

Hi, all! Found a couple of low carb threads, but they were old or had veered off into the bushes. Here's a place of support for keto (low carb, adequate protein, high fat) eaters. Haters can hate - but please not here, this is not a place to debate the validity of this way of eating.

Keep calm and keto on!
Best Answer
83 REPLIES 83

Thanks for starting the thread! I'm not totally low carb, but I'm trying to cut back alot. Nothing 'refined white' and REALLY trying to cut back on the sugar!

Best Answer

yay! I'm a keto person. I had surgery recently and went off it, but that was 1.5 months ago and the doc has told me it's ok to start light exercise, so I'm back to walking and back to keto!

I'm 34y/o and looking to lose 35 lbs.

If anyone wants to be friends, add me 🙂 I need keto buddies!

Best Answer

It would be nice to hear of all the "keto" success stories of weight loss, athletic accomplishments, etc.

Best Answer

Ok-I'll bite.

I am a 49 year old woman.  I started a keto lifestyle about a year ago.  When I first started I was afraid to get on the scale so I don't know how much I weighed.  I was wearing a 2X or size 22W clothing.  I immediately dropped to a size 20W and then got on the scale and at that point I weighed 225.  I am assuming that I weighed about 235 when I started but I don't really know for sure.

At 225 lb My body fat % was 52.5%.  As of this morning I weigh 188 lb and my body fat % is 41%.  Since I had the courage to step on the scale I have lost a total of 37 lb.  However, I have lost 41 lb of FAT and gained 4 lb of lean body mass!!!!!!!!  I consider it a rather large accomplishment to gain lean body mass while losing a substantial amount of weight.

I don't really follow a particular keto diet although I am probably higher protein than most. I do not count anything.  I don't think anyone ever got fat from eating too much spinach, kale or lettuce.

I would love to hear from the rest of you.

Best Answer

I've been keto for the last month, combined with Intermittent fasting, and have lost over 11lbs.

Allie
Best Answer

What is Keto? I have never heard of it. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@LF5685 wrote:

What is Keto? I have never heard of it. 

Basically very low carb which forces your body to burn it's stored fat as fuel.

Allie
Best Answer

Thank you for your honesty of not counting everything. I have been hoping there was someone out there that was like this also. I am going to try this Keto/low carb WOE, but I do not have time in my world to journal, or count everything. I am hoping that just eating clean, and staying away from non-veggie carbs will at the very least let me get motivated to stick with it! You success story gives me hope. Thank you. 

Stacykay

Best Answer

@Stacykay-I think that when you first start Keto you should count carbs and fiber.  I don't do it anymore but I did count carbs and fiber for a while.  When you do count carbs you get a feel for how many carbs are in foods and how much you can eat and still lose weight.  Once you have the hang of eating low carb you can stop counting but I do think you should count for a while.

Please educte yourself about keto before you start.  You have to  let go of the "fat is bad" mantra in order for keto to work for you.

Best Answer

I am also a Keto person on VLC i hope to lose at least 2 st but back pain makes it difficult at times  Smiley Happy

Best Answer

Keto here as well. Four months of non-stop keto so far, dropping about 15 lbs a month. Never hungry and lots of energy. I've found keto very resiliant, when I first started I was obsessing about protean and fat ratios. Now as long as I keep the carbs out I'm good. I've upped my protean to to a level that i hope will help maintain lean weight. Always looking for keto friends.

Best Answer

I have suffered from migraines most of my life. I bought this book written by a doctor that says the cure to migraines is the keto diet along with no gluten and processed sugar. I had nothing to lose really so I tried it. I am not entirely keto, I eat 2 servings of fruit and 1/2 cup of gluten free rolled oats a day, but I have cut out gluten and processed sugars and wow, significant difference in my migraines. 3 migraines a week to one a month. I can't complain. I am just wondering what  you all eat, I want to get more serious on the carb side of it. 

Best Answer

@OdoCat wrote:

I have suffered from migraines most of my life. I bought this book written by a doctor that says the cure to migraines is the keto diet along with no gluten and processed sugar. I had nothing to lose really so I tried it. I am not entirely keto, I eat 2 servings of fruit and 1/2 cup of gluten free rolled oats a day, but I have cut out gluten and processed sugars and wow, significant difference in my migraines. 3 migraines a week to one a month. I can't complain. I am just wondering what  you all eat, I want to get more serious on the carb side of it. 

Also try supplementing with magnesium.  I take 400-500mg every night right before I go to sleep, and it has made a world of difference.  I get about 1/4 the number of migraines that I did before, and they're generally not anywhere near as bad.  It also helps me get a better nights sleep too.

FitBit One
"You should really wear a helmet."
5K 9/2015 - 36:59.57
Best Answer

I don't eat any carbs, no suger, bread, paste, beer, etc. I start my day with butter coffee, then have my lunch and dinner between 2 and 8 pm. They consist of some vetables, eggs for one of the meals, and protein. I take supplement - vitamin D, omega and magnesium. I started using some whey protein powder to get my daily intake to 1g / lbs of lean body weight. I use the fitbit 7 day calories average to base my daily calories on and myfitnesspal to track them.

Best Answer

Hi All 🙂 

I did a Keto diet about 2 years ago. I went from 70 KG to 55 KG over a period of 3 months 

Keto is a very great way to strip weight very fast, depending on the level of grams of carbs taken i think this effects the severity of the weight loss method

I was on the below Macro split daily and manage to cut my carbs to only 11.9 grams

Protein 135.7

Carbs 11.9

Fats 91.47

Calories 1524.1

Any body who is curious on how i got this numbers please see below, the Calorie counter that i created in Open Office using Formula to calculate and add up everything after i put all the details in on the Nutrion Values 

My breakfast was:

2 eggs

1 Table spoon of Peanut Butter

2 Scoops Whey Protein Shake (OP Nutrition Gold Standard - Either Cookies N Cream or Chocolote flavour) 
3 Fish oil Tablets

Lunch was: 

1 Cup of Broccoli (with cracked pepper) 

Dinner was:
Half Avocado
25g of Cream Cheese
200 grams of Chicken breast

2 Tables spoons of Olive Oil 

samMarcoSplitKeto.jpg

Best Answer
Thank you, I'll try that. 🙂
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi,

I reccomend keep your total Calories & Carbs MUCH higher then whats on my Diet at first, it wouldn't be a good idea to dive straight into that right away. I had a couple of friends that were also on Keto and they were amazed on how i was copping with the carbs so low - It was not pleasant to say the least for the first couple of days

My advise for anyone on a Keto diet to consume around 100grams of Carbs and then slowly reduce your Carbs (Doing so you should also find your bodys tolerence and how your body reacts to how many carbs you are consuming at the time).  

I forgot to mention that i also had Ketone Strips (you can get these at the Chemist) that i would go into the Bathroom and urinate on them,

Ketonestrips.JPG

Slowly bring your Calories and Carbs down and if you have the Ketone Strips, use this an index on how far you are into Keto (or if you even in Keto at-all) Light Pink being light, red being in the middle and Deep Purple would be Max

Also i reccomend slightly higher Fat in take then what i had also - My Protein was little higher then fat in take but had to be adequie to reduce Muscle loss 

Common effects for the first couple of weeks can be being Light headed, Feeling Fatigue, confusion, sudden change in emotion

Remeber to find your tolerence first, dont go too hard on your body 🙂 

Best Answer

For those who follow the keto or lchf way of eating, There is a Google extension called FitBitKeto.  This adds net carbs to the Daily Totals in the food section (web browsers only) 

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/fitbitketo/gkpaagblehjajcbedipoaipnhclecemn?hl=en

Best Answer

There's a good FAQ over on the Keto Reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/faq

https://www.reddit.com/r/keto/

Best Answer