Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keto Reboot Fasting Anyone?

ANSWERED

I'm wondering if anyone else has tried the "Pruvit Keto Reboot" 60 hour fast?

I've just completed my second and continued to workout and train through it. The experience was much less challenging the second time and the results are positive (my pants fit better!).

I would like to compare experiences and results with any other Fitbitters who've done this...

Anyone?

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@nyquist212 wrote:

Does your body enter starvation mode with EFs this long? Slowing metabolism, cold sensitivity, lower energy, more sleep... 

There is some thought that "starvation mode" is associated with sustained calorie deficits when food is still being eaten; however, during an EF, there is no food, and metabolism increases.  In The Obesity Code, Fung cites studies that metabolism increases by 10-12% during fasting.  It's interesting to me that Ancel Keys' Minnesota Starvation Experiment, which demonstrated 'starvation mode", did not include fasting, but rather limited volunteers to eat 1,500 calories per day.

My anecdotal experience is I sleep less and have more energy with fasting; however, my longest EF is 72 hours, and most of my fasting is eating one meal per day.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
7 REPLIES 7

I haven't done any kind of structured keto fast like you mentioned, but I have practiced intermittent fasting for over a year and have done extended fasts about every other month. I have had better results, personally, with intermittent fasting. My ketones after extended fasts are nearly equal to my ketones during intermittent fasts, and the weight loss has never been significant enough for me to do it that often. My longest fast to date was 70hrs and the amount of sole I consumed helped me power through really well, but in the end I bloated terribly after having only my normal macros. So in short, they don't work well for me.

B. Haapi
Best Answer
0 Votes

@HillB2 wrote:

My longest fast to date was 70hrs and the amount of sole I consumed helped me power through really well, but in the end I bloated terribly after having only my normal macros. So in short, they don't work well for me.

I also practice IF (TRF specifically).

My workouts and runs feel different during the 60 hr fast (not worse, just different). Curiously, I felt even worse after breaking the fast. A light carb free meal left me feeling really bloated and drowsy. And I really struggled to grind my way through a weight routine later that day. This fasting-hangover the morning after was the same both times. Did you experience this?

In 60 hrs I dropped nearly 8 lbs of water and an inch on the waist. My second fast was much easier both physically and mentally. 

I'm curious to know if the "measurable results" (lbs & inches) happen quicker and further as I get accustomed to these extended fasts? Or are the results less dramatic as the body gets used to doing them?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Nothing branded by a supplement company but I do daily IF and regular EF too, longest being 120 hours.  The first meal after EF always make me tired regardless because it takes a lot of energy for the digestive system to reawaken itself after a good rest.

Allie
Best Answer
0 Votes

That's interesting. Do you continue to run during the 120hr EFs? If so, what's it feel like?

Does your body enter starvation mode with EFs this long? Slowing metabolism, cold sensitivity, lower energy, more sleep... 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have found that I may loose some inches, but they come right back within a couple days if I go back to normal macros. The only way I've kept the size down is to IF 20:4 for a few days after the extended fast before returning to 3 full meals. I ended up feeling too hungry though, and honestly, the instant results weren't worth it for my personal goals of overall well being vs. weight loss.

B. Haapi
Best Answer
0 Votes

@nyquist212 I don't run, but do weights, yoga, walks loads, and am just generally as active as I can be.  On fasting days I cope just fine with normal day to day activities, and normally I'm fine up to about 48 hours fasted - but beyond that I tend to avoid weights and stick with just yoga (+ normal daily activity) as I really don't cope well with heavy lifting when I'm fasting.  Plenty of people do, many say they feel stronger, but personally it doesn't work for me.

Allie
Best Answer
0 Votes

@nyquist212 wrote:

There is some thought that "starvation mode" is associated with sustained calorie deficits when food is still being eaten; however, during an EF, there is no food, and metabolism increases.  In The Obesity Code, Fung cites studies that metabolism increases by 10-12% during fasting.  It's interesting to me that Ancel Keys' Minnesota Starvation Experiment, which demonstrated 'starvation mode", did not include fasting, but rather limited volunteers to eat 1,500 calories per day.

My anecdotal experience is I sleep less and have more energy with fasting; however, my longest EF is 72 hours, and most of my fasting is eating one meal per day.

Best Answer