Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Menopause

Has anyone here gained a lot of weight during menopause and have a hard time losing it.... I am so discouraged. I feel like a big beluga who is slowly becoming a big whale....  

Best Answer
5 REPLIES 5

I was already well overweight when I went into menopause at 55 years old. I didn't gain anymore weight, but I sure do find it more difficult to lose weight. It can be discouraging, but keep a positive attitude about it and never give up. 

Best Answer

OMG!! Join the club. I am in menopause and my weight has been creeping up over the past 6 months. My hips have a mind of their own and I cannot shed the #ButtsAndGuts. Any advice??

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you for the insight "Keep a positive attitude..." Needed that. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

This is strange because most of my friends, on the contrary, have lost a lot of kg. It seems to me that the reason is stress. Some, due to stress, eat non-stop, and some cannot eat at all ... This is normal. Don't be so worried about menopause because it will end sooner or later. For example, I had no idea at all that I was menopause and I thought it was a normal cycle delay. As a result, I had doubts and I just bought tests to determine the level of female sex hormones and the result shocked me. So it is very important to quickly understand what exactly is happening to your body.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am with you Hopelessly_me!  I have a 'mesomorph' body, extremely muscular.  I have been 'lean' but never 'skinny' but also been very overweigh, but never obese.  I have balanced my hearty appetite with really intense workouts and for the past 15 years done quite well.  

Now at age 53, I think I am through the worst of the hot flashes, and my period has just about stopped, but the weight gain!  (of course combined with remote work for over a year and lots of stress).  I am measuring and tracking all of my food, in general staying at a 200 - 500 calorie deficit but nothing seems to work.  I don't weigh myself but instead take body measurements, simple tape measure, hips, 'menopot' and waist.  Everything I read tells me it isn't menopause that causes weight gain but whatever it is isn't easy.  Let's keep trying and keep supporting each other!

Best Answer
0 Votes