Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to gain weight

Hello again everyone

The last time I got weighed, the nurse said that I needed to gain 3kg of weight and I've used my medically necessary (due to having day surgery on Monday 17th) self-isolation for the last 9 days to drastically reduce the amount of exercise I was doing so that I didn't lose any more weight.  

Thing is though, I still want to get rid of my flabby belly and thighs so haven't been doing the sit-ups or leg lifts for the last 8 days and I'm really missing having it in my bed-time routine!  Can I safely add them back in without risking losing any more weight please?  Ideally I want to be able to keep working on the cosmetic stuff at the same time as gaining weight... is that possible or am I asking for the moon on a stick?

Thank you!

Amanda - a Fitbit Inspire user since 29th September 2019
Best Answer
0 Votes
4 REPLIES 4

High protein/high carb foods will be your friends! You just have to consume enough calories to help replace what you burn through exercise. I like shrimp, greek yogurt with granola and almonds, protein shakes, cheese sticks, etc.They help you gain bulk without necessarily fattening you up. Also, I recently discovered chia seed pudding which is high in fiber and satisfies my sweets craving without all the saturated fats and excessive sugars (reminds me a lot of tapioca pudding).

The weight lifting community definitely has a lot of tips for putting on healthy weight and building muscle mass. I really enjoy yoga that focuses more on strength and balance than vinyasa/cardio type movement., might be something for you to look into. Focusing on good form and strong movements rather than the number of reps has been helpful for me personally. Things like that may help you tone up without completely burning your calorie intake.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you @SNS3530 

Hopefully having breakfast every day except tomorrow (Covid swab that I don't want to have anything heavy beforehand in case the swab makes me throw up) and Monday (day surgery which means I'm not allowed to eat after midnight or drink after 6am) will help to put the weight back on again.

For medical reasons I'm semi-vegan, so the shrimp and Greek yoghurt is out for me unfortunately  😞  I'll have to check the ingredients of cheese sticks though, so thank you for that suggestion!

As for the Yoga, it's something I've always wanted to try, but is it possible to do it on a bed please?  It's just that I'd never be able to get back up if it needs to be done on the floor lol

Best Answer
0 Votes

One of the best things about yoga is there is a version for every age, skill level, etc. I like to follow YogaWithAdrienne on Youtube. She has a ton of videos. Guarantee there is at least one or two to do in bed 🙂 

Hope all goes well!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you so much @SNS3530!

Best Answer
0 Votes