Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to this

ANSWERED

So, I have a new Fitbit and have never had one before. I have the Alta HR.

just wondering if someone could answer a few questions. I have been eating 1,450 that MFP gives me. 

Today ( a fairly non active day ) I have burned 1,769 calories according to my Fitbit. Now on my calories in and out on Fitbit app it says 1,314 in and 665 left.

The in correlates with what MFP says I’ve eaten.... but I do not understand why I have 665 left? 

In theory I have a 470 calories deficit...... not sure where the 665 left comes from on Fitbit. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi @Willow2017- it is entirely possible that the tracker is giving you a higher calorie burn than what is actually happening. They are not exact and shouldn't be taken that way. The fact that you have HR attached gives you a bit more accuracy than those who use an algorithm to determine calories out. All in all this whole weight loss thing is trial and error. The one thing you can count on is if it is overestimating let's say by 10%- it will consistently do that so you can eat towards or away from that 10% going forward. You will get to know your tracker really well over the next several weeks and you will be able to manage your intake properly to maintain or lose depending on your goals. Enjoy your new buddy 🙂

Elena | Pennsylvania

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
3 REPLIES 3

@Willow2017 wrote:

So, I have a new Fitbit and have never had one before. I have the Alta HR.

just wondering if someone could answer a few questions. I have been eating 1,450 that MFP gives me. 

Today ( a fairly non active day ) I have burned 1,769 calories according to my Fitbit. Now on my calories in and out on Fitbit app it says 1,314 in and 665 left.

The in correlates with what MFP says I’ve eaten.... but I do not understand why I have 665 left? 

In theory I have a 470 calories deficit...... not sure where the 665 left comes from on Fitbit. 

Hi @Willow2017,

It can be a little confusing. The reason you're seeing the 600 calories left is because the in/out meter is trying to estimate your total calorie burn for the day. So even though you had burned 1700 calories, there were hours left in the day, and it is trying to give you an estimate for calories up until midnight.

Basically, I would go by what the in/out meter says, as it helps account for calories between dinner and midnight.

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, 

thanks for your response. I get that. Now, the new thing which I am noticing over the course of 5 days I have been using it. I think it is estimating too higher calorie burn. 

Bear with and I will explain. I think I also have evidence to prove this. 

I did MFP for 1 year. My weight stagnated about 3 months ago when I decided to give my body a rest from reduced calorie intake. So I lost 35 pounds from november 2016 to August 2017.

I worked out my TDEE online and it averaged between 2,100 - 2,200 this seemed to be in keeping with MFP projection of a daily calorie intake of 1,450 for a 1.5lb weight loss per week 2,200 - 750 = 1,450.  It averaged out at 1.1lbs weight loss a week ( which I was happy with). So this has led me to believe my TDEE was somewhere between 1,950 - 2,050. 

So, I have been eating for the last 3 months around 1,700 - 1,900 per day.... so more of a maintaining state really and I have maintained. Not lost and not gained. 

So, i have had a Fitbit and been wearing it for 5 days now. I am generally burning TDEE between 2,650-2,850 calories per day! I know all about BMR and the calories I will burn for just going about my daily business. 

My question is...... going by the evidence I have laid out above this seems incorrect. Because

1.) if my TDEE was this high then I would still have been losing weight the last 3 months because 2,650-2,850  -   750 would have worked out between 1,900 - 2,100 and I have been eating just under this. 

2.) if my TDEE really is 2,650-2,850 then I am in a deficit of 1,250 as a minimum!  2.5lb weight loss a week! I don’t think so. This is impossible. 

So, it my Fitbit Alta HR giving me inaccurate calorie burns.

Thank you for reading. Looking forward to some opinions 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @Willow2017- it is entirely possible that the tracker is giving you a higher calorie burn than what is actually happening. They are not exact and shouldn't be taken that way. The fact that you have HR attached gives you a bit more accuracy than those who use an algorithm to determine calories out. All in all this whole weight loss thing is trial and error. The one thing you can count on is if it is overestimating let's say by 10%- it will consistently do that so you can eat towards or away from that 10% going forward. You will get to know your tracker really well over the next several weeks and you will be able to manage your intake properly to maintain or lose depending on your goals. Enjoy your new buddy 🙂

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer