Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Over 40 but still going to do it...

ANSWERED

Hello all, 

I am over 40 and soon to age a tad more in a few days.   In August of 2016 I saw a man in the mirror that I personally want to fond of.  Of course I mean me.  At that point i was 265 lbs and 6 feet 2 inches.   Thankfully my height doesnt change like my weight.   So any way thanks to an internal job change I was able to use my companies gym.   So a little back ground about not going to the gym.   I have two kids on the spectrum so for me it was always.. WAKE, WORK, HOME, KIDS and SLEEP.   Rinse and repeat.   

I am in IT so we dont move a lot.   That didnt help.   So anyway here I am looking at this jack wagon in the mirror and realizing I cant stay this way.   Not just for me but for my kids.   So I started using the gym 4 times a week doing weight and Cardio.   Changed what I was eating but nothing to crazy and how much.  Why because I didnt want a crazy change thats hard to maintain.   Ive dont that before.   Hell I can lose weight with ease when I tried but I always did it wrong.   Thus the cycle of rinse and repeat could be applied to my weight loss as well.   SUCKS!

So here we are in January.   I am 219 with obvious muscle gain being seen.   However the weight seems to fluctuate by 2lbs or so but not change anymore.  I am not concerned about that yet because it hit me like a bad V8 commercial.  My calorie intake is way off.   Here is my basic gym run and then Ill tell you what this is all about.

25 minutes treadmill at 7mph (up or down, always finish high at 9mph)

40 Minutes Weights - Bench - Curl - Pull Down - Standing row - Squats (other exercises to change things up here and there)

15 Minutes elliptical

10 minute quick weights shoulder shrugs, pull ups, or situps.. that sort

15 minutes treadmill.

Keep in mind that can change due to whatever is happening at work or home.   So here is what I am writing about.   Lately I am feeling starved.  Now I know I need to eat more but of what.   I have chicken, turkey, yogurt, pork chops, brown rice, vegetables, and all the good stuff...  I need to eat more but how much, best times and all that?

Secondly, should I be concerned that I am at a plateau or am I on the right track with not eating enough?   What would be good amount of calories?  Any wisdom from anyone?  Keep in mind, I have no trainer, I am not doing supplements (don't want to) and I am on a mission (goal weight 185 and lean muscle).  So what do you all think?  Or did I ramble to much... 

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@Tagnizkur: you lost 46 pounds in 5 months, which is a lot, but still reasonable. You may, however, want to consider a full diet break, during which you’ll be eating at maintenance, or even at a small surplus. Sometimes one step backwards, two steps forwards is a more efficient way to progress.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
11 REPLIES 11

Add some fats to the diet. We need them but good ones

Avocado, Nuts, Olive oil. These kinds help to fill you longer as well.

I will add some avocado to my eggs in the morning. Oil to what ever I'm having at lunch.  Nuts as a snack.

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

Those good fats are really important, but I've learned that hard way that those things need to be counted and logged, to the gram, before I eat them.  It's so easy to eat a couple of handfuls of nuts at the end of the day, only to realize that I'm now suddenly 400 calories over my limit.   In order to burn off the calories in 14 almonds, I have to walk one full mile!   And unless I'm paying close attention, I'm more likely to eat about three times that amount without even thinking.   

Best Answer

@elderwandaYep they can. Been there done that. I bag them in portion sizes and keep them in a container so all I pull out is the 1 serving.

Otherwise I was in trouble 🙂

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

Ok, so you say that you are hungry. That tells me you are either eating too little or are having blood sugar highs and lows which means you are eating the wrong kinds of foods or combinations. Protein and fat are very filling. If you are getting enough animal protein, try adding some healthy fat like the other posters suggested. The other thing you can try is waiting until dinner to eat your starch and fruit. Our insulin levels are normally low in the mornings and higher at night. If you keep insulin low thought the day by limiting starch and sugar than you will keep your body in fat-buring mode longer. You will also avoid those swings in blood sugar that can make you fell hungry. I have to add a note here. If you have any kind of metabolic disorder, check with your doctor before you change your diet.

Best Answer

@elderwanda wrote:

I've learned that hard way that those things need to be counted and logged, to the gram, before I eat them.

That also what I do!

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Best Answer

@Tagnizkur: you lost 46 pounds in 5 months, which is a lot, but still reasonable. You may, however, want to consider a full diet break, during which you’ll be eating at maintenance, or even at a small surplus. Sometimes one step backwards, two steps forwards is a more efficient way to progress.

Dominique | Finland

Best Answer

Hi,

I'm working also in IT field staying more than 9 hours in front of a computer. I had few years ago like 92 kgs at 1.74m height and it was a point...were I said enough! So I started to loose weight and go around 75 kgs in 2015. Now I weight 79 kgs and I'm on the road to 75 kgs...

Few things which are important:

1. Count your food calories and weight your food. I highly recommend to use MyFitnessPal application which integrates with Fitbit steps/account

2. Try to go on a easy way like 20% deficit. Use a calories calculator like this one http://run.plnkr.co/plunks/JcYubp/ or this one http://fitcal.me/tdee

3. Go to gym 2-3 times per week or to swim, run, etc 

4 . Walk at least 10k steps per day if possible. Drink at least 2l of water daily and do not stay continuously on your chair at work for 30min, try to get out for a tea or coffee - this will speed up your metabolism 

5. For food try a percentage (MyFitnessPal has this feature) like 40% carbs 35% protein and 25% fat. Proteins will help you to gain muscle while reducing fat percentage from you body

6. Have patience!

Catalin | RO | Fitbit Charge 2, iPhone 6
Best Answer

Thank you all for your comments.   I know its a life change I am making... not a goal change.   Personally I am not working towards a goal anymore but rather a daily understanding that I need to be aware.   Not just what I am eating but also how much I am moving... what I am doing... all of it.  

Change to live... not change to look good.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

When I have strong cravings for "I don't know what, but I gotta have it now!", I eat a can of chilled tuna. I don't particularly like the taste but the protein fills me up and stops the craving.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have heard that changing the type of exercise you do can help too.   Your body can get 'used' to certain types of exercise.  Not sure how true this is but maybe worth a try if you can. 

I work in IT too, and it's so easy to get stuck into something for a couple of hours without moving anything except your eyes and fingers.   Nightmare.   Now when I get a cuppa or go for a 'break' i take the long way around.  

Good luck 🙂

Love food and drink !
Best Answer

Me too... one of the things I do at my jobs campus is go to a different floor for print jobs... or instead of using the bridge to cut between buildings I go out and walk around.   The other thing that seems to help... Ive sworn off the elevator...  some days I wish I hadnt... but its worth it.   Viva la IT!!!

Best Answer
0 Votes