Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recovering from an extreme deficit as a teenager

ANSWERED

Hi, I am a 14-year-old who has been attempting weight loss for the past two months. Due to a lack of knowledge, I began by cutting calories extremely (800-1000 a day) and working my butt off in cardio. According to the numbers on the machines (which admittedly are wildly innacurate), I was essentially breaking even and netting zero. While this did yield inital results, with me losing over 12 pounds in a few weeks, I found myself increasingly tired and weaker. My progress plateaued as well. After doing my own research, I found that this lifestyle was not sustainable and was decreasing my metabolism. I've since been trying to slowly increase my daily calories to a manageable point. I'm looking for any tips as to how to go about this, as well as any advice moving further. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi.

See your doctor, don't trust me. That being said.

1. I am a 14-year-old who has been attempting weight loss for the past two months. ...  losing over 12 pounds in a few weeks

You didn't write what your starting weight was so it's not clear of 12 pounds is a lot or a little weight lost for you.

2. After doing my own research, I found that this lifestyle was not sustainable and was decreasing my metabolism.

Personally (see your doctor, etc.) when I want to prevent my metabolism from getting low I do cardio.

3. I've since been trying to slowly increase my daily calories to a manageable point.

Are you tracking the calories of what you eat?  Personally I'm using both Fitbit and Carb manager linked together because the Carb manager database has more food types and it's easy to edit the nutrition facts in the database if, for instance, they are not the same as what is on the label. Fitbit is better at estimating calories burned ("calories out").  By looking at the Fitbit app I can see a good approximation of my calorie deficit and by keeping that small I can maintain weight.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
4 REPLIES 4

Hi.

See your doctor, don't trust me. That being said.

1. I am a 14-year-old who has been attempting weight loss for the past two months. ...  losing over 12 pounds in a few weeks

You didn't write what your starting weight was so it's not clear of 12 pounds is a lot or a little weight lost for you.

2. After doing my own research, I found that this lifestyle was not sustainable and was decreasing my metabolism.

Personally (see your doctor, etc.) when I want to prevent my metabolism from getting low I do cardio.

3. I've since been trying to slowly increase my daily calories to a manageable point.

Are you tracking the calories of what you eat?  Personally I'm using both Fitbit and Carb manager linked together because the Carb manager database has more food types and it's easy to edit the nutrition facts in the database if, for instance, they are not the same as what is on the label. Fitbit is better at estimating calories burned ("calories out").  By looking at the Fitbit app I can see a good approximation of my calorie deficit and by keeping that small I can maintain weight.

Best Answer

One more thing. At midnight Fitbit erases your calorie deficit and starts over.  This is a serious software bug because if, for instance, a person has a 500 calorie deficit asleep at midnight that person could wake up with a 200 calorie deficit because the 500 cal was erased and the 200 calorie deficit accumulated from midnight until that person woke up.

Best Answer
0 Votes

A really important factor is not just how many calories you eat, but where are those calories coming from. Culturally, in the US, I think we eat too much highly processed food and too many carbs. I lost quite a bit of weight, but never feel like I'm dieting because I am managing where the calories are coming from (no/low pre-processed foods, etc).

An obviously extreme example would be 2000 calories all from soda and candy, versus 2000 calories from lean protein (or vegetable protein) sources, fruit, nuts, raw veggies, etc.

As @Acceptable mentioned, we don't know your starting weight, weight goals, exercise habits etc. so I will offer that in addition to eating good foods, there are other critical measures that can help:

• At 14, your body is changing rapidly, so be a little patient with yourself 
  • Ask your doctor about a target weight, at your next visit and ask for suggestions
  • Beware unreasonable societal cues about weight 
  • Every body is different (as is how we lose weight)
  • Patience with yourself, your goals and your body
  • Consistent eating (sometimes more smaller meals works better)
  • Consistent and enough sleep
  • Regular exercise, physical activity and social interactions

Most importantly, embrace a healthy lifestyle with good (not perfect) eating habits, good sleep habits and good exercise/play/activity habits (including social/interpersonal activities). Developing good habits now might not seem sexy, but they are the foundation to success, and feeling good, physically and emotionally.

CharlesKn | Mid-Atlantic, USA
60+, strength and cardio
Charge 5, Android, Windows

Best Answer

@Acceptable wrote:

One more thing. At midnight Fitbit erases your calorie deficit and starts over.  This is a serious software bug because if, for instance, a person has a 500 calorie deficit asleep at midnight that person could wake up with a 200 calorie deficit because the 500 cal was erased and the 200 calorie deficit accumulated from midnight until that person woke up.

Checking this with actual Fitbit readings. I find this hard to do because the best time to check is first thing in the morning before my coffee.

Last night I had a calorie deficit of 361. This morning I ate 42 calories (coffee and half&half) and my calorie deficit became 342.

342 + 42 = 384 : current deficit plus calories eaten is the deficit first thing in the morning (more or less).

384 - 361 = 23 : last night's deficit minus this morning's deficit is 23 calories

Either I only burned 23 calories in my sleep or yesterday's deficit was erased despite not eating anything to reduce that deficit.

If last night's deficit was erased the 384 morning deficit accumulated starting from midnight until I woke up and checked my calories.

If you are trying to eat the same amount of calories that you burn, this will guide you to under eat.

Best Answer
0 Votes