Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running a calorie deficit but putting on weight.

Hey Everyone,

Since 2016 I've lost 55(ish) pounds with Fitbit. It's been a really exciting ride and I'm glad I've made such a significant lifestyle change. I've reached a point that I'm pretty happy with floating between 211 and 2015.

Recently I made the jump from doing cardio only to lifting weights instead to cut down on some remaining fat. I'm starting to see gains and physical results visually. Unfortunately I've also began putting on some weight.

I make sure to track my calories in/out and usually end the day with 2-500 calories to spare (after consuming roughly 2000 or so). But, I've also been incredibly stressed lately between work and planning my wedding later this year. I understand that cortisol can have a pretty substantial effect on the body. I haven't been sleeping well either (5-6 hours a night). Maybe this is having an effect?

Either way, I appreciate the advice.

Thanks!

Best Answer
0 Votes
6 REPLIES 6

How recently did you start with lifting weights? When you are new to it, your muscles have to get used to it and typically hold water for a while. That will pass by itself. Other than that, stress and lack of sleep are indeed not good for health loss. Try to unwind an hour before sleep (no technology, read a book instead) and maybe try some guided breathing or meditation right before bed.

Karolien | The Netherlands

Best Answer

Thanks for the quick reply. This seems like it would made sense.

I started around a month or so ago, but spent a long time making sure my technique was correct. I've only been doing it really seriously for 2 - 3 weeks or so.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes, stress + lack of sleep results in chronically elevated cortisol levels, which hinders fat loss. On top of which the large caloric deficit that caused you to lose these 55 pounds was also a cause of stress in itself.

Obviously, your BMR is lower now that you’re 55 pounds lighter, and the energy you expend through activity is also lower. Fitbit should takes this into account (if your weight is updated in your account). However, it does not take into account the fact your actual metabolism (after the weight loss) may be significantly lower than what is predicted by age, height and weight. If you take two guys who have the same age, height and weight, but one maintained his weight the same for many years while the other only got there recently after a significant weight loss, the one that lost weight  usually has lower BMR. This could explain why what you (and Fitbit) think is a deficit isn’t necessary one.

You didn’t provide details about the time frame of your weight loss, nor about your switch from cardio to resistance training. You didn’t mention whether you replaced cardio with resistance training, or added resistance training to it. In itself, lifting weights won’t burn (much) fat: what burns fat is being in a caloric deficit; lifting weights will add strength and muscle mass, optimally so if eating at a surplus (which is what you may have been doing).

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for the reply, here's some additional info that might help -

• Time Frame: I started losing weight in April of last year and reached the point I'm at now around October. Since then I've hovered around the same weight. After being here for awhile I wanted to make a push to lose a bit more, as I'm still overweight (based on body fat by 5-10 lbs) and haven't quite reached my final goal.
  • Switch: I made the switch from doing cardio around a month ago, although I do try to add in cardio whenever possible. Now that the weather is getting nicer where I live, I'll probably begin cycling again in the afternoons and evenings when possible.

So, the weird thing is that I'm eating less & working out more than I was when I was maintaining that weight range but now I'm putting on weight.

My reasoning behind the switch was to increase the rate at which I burn calories. I believe (and please correct me if I'm wrong) that for every lb of muscle gained you burn an extra 50 calories a day. But, if fitbit is wrong and I'm actually eating a surplus but gaining muscle mass is that necessarily a bad thing or will this make me bulk up? Is it possible that i need to reassess what my goals are here?

Thanks for your help.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Check this recent post of mine where I mention the Katch-McArdle equation. It attempts to take into account body composition when estimating BMR and TDEE, as opposed to the equation used by Fitbit (Mifflin St Jeor), which relies on gender, age, height and weight.

Let’s say you’re 30-yr, 6’1, 200 lb, 25% body fat (took these numbers out of my head). Your BMR according to Mifflin would be 1921, and TDEE at moderate activity level would be 2978. Katch would put BMR at 1843 and TDEE (also at moderate activity level) at 2857. Now let’s say you manage to gain 1 lb of muscle without gaining any fat (this is tough!): you’re now 201 lb and 24.9% body fat (you were previously 50 lb fat / 150 lb lean, you’re now 50 lb fat / 151 lb lean). Your BMR and TDEE become 1853 and 2873. The increase is only 10 calories in BMR and 16 in BMR. Of course, it’s "only" moderate activity level (level 3 out of 5), but even at the highest activity level, it still wouldn’t be 50.

There are a number of good reasons to put on some more muscle (like making it easier to carry your bride at your wedding!), but burning more calories isn’t on top of the list IMO.

You can also see different equations provide slightly different results for BMR and TDEE. These are only estimates and your actual numbers could be something else. Unless you have an opportunityto spend extensive time in a metabolic lab, you’ll have to determine your numbers empirically.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Best Answer

You may also want to check the lecture by Dr. Kevin Hall mentioned in this older post. It provides a lot of information on the metabolic adaptation that typically takes place after some time in a weight loss.

Dominique | Finland

Best Answer
0 Votes