Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Struggling to lose - help please!

Hi,

Sorry for the long post.

I really hope someone can give me some helpful advice here - I'm starting to go a bit crazy!

4 years ago I lost 5 stone, over the course of 2 years. I managed to keep it off mostly but put on a stone at the end of Summer 2014.

I'm tall (6ft) and I'm 34 years old (female) I'm pretty active - I walk 20 mins to work and back every day, and walk around town in my lunch break. That's normally the least active I get. I always either run, cycle, or play netball throughout the week (and quite often all 3 during a weekend)

Since Janurary I've lost 11lbs. Which isn't too bad. But there are weeks (mostly 3 in a row at times) where I lose nothing.

I posted ages ago on myfitnesspal with the same issue and one person that replied gave me the following calculation:

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

I'd love to do some more research... or find out if there's validity to this... does anyone know?

I'm wearing a fitbit for 2 weeks now (Charge HR with heart rate monitor) and I'm burning on average 2500 cals a day (no sport, but walking the 20 min to work and back) other days I'm burning well over 3000 cals.

I wore my Polar heart rate monitor with a chest strap and it showed the Fitbit tracker was showing a lower heart rate a lot of the time (and therefore estimating a lower calorie burn) So I may well be burning more than Fitbit tells me...?

I had a deficit of 5918 cals not eaten this week so should have lost...

Help me pleeeease!

Thanks 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes
24 REPLIES 24

I was having trouble losing on my own when I was watching my calories (1200cal/day) started excercising and I wasn't losing much at all.  I decided to try a personal trainer -  One of the things that he pointed out was to watch more on the types of foods and not the calories.  I have been eating more proteins (chicken, eggs & fish) I learned to like vegtables again and eat them to fill me up.  No processed foods (maybe a little), very little milk (I use cheese a little) no breads and cut down on sugars. He gave me the Paleo diet guidelines - I love my fruit so I still do an apple or two for my fruit, blueberries and oranges. I still have coffee with a little flavored creamer ... so I haven't given up everything.  I have been amazed of how much better I feel and don't seem to feel hungry like I used to. Once in awhile my sugar cravings come back but then I eat some fruit wich helps. My weight loss has averaged around 2-3 lbs a week some weeks more or less. Planning is a big part of it - take foods with you if you don't have access to "good food".    Down 38lbs since January.  Good Luck! 

Best Answer

Hi, thanks for that but I love my fruit and veg and eat loads of protein! currently sat here after a 4.5 mile run drinking a home made smoothie (strawberries, almond milk, spinach, and an activia yogurt in it) as well as 2 bits of ryvita with cheese. 

I eat very well - I don't like processed foods anyway. This is so frustrating!

😞

Best Answer

I wouldn't place much faith in projected weight loss calculations as they tend to lead to disappointment. 

The key here is the quality of the diet, high complex carb and protein will be your best friend. However, most people find once they switch to high protein their muscle mass will increase (to a point) as they train and recover. in real terms this means that you end up losing weight in fat but gaining some weight back in muscle (that's why it's always a bit better to focus on body image and measurements rather than as specific goal weight). 

Also, 11lbs lost since january is excellent progress, so don't get disheartened by a little plateu period. Fat loss is a slow process, but if you keep at it you will succeed - the biggest trap people fall into is believing that a massive deficit will lead to rapid weight loss, but this only works to an extent, eat well and grab a reasonable amount of intense excercise and you'll hit that goal. 

Best Answer

@SunsetRunner wrote:

Hi, thanks for that but I love my fruit and veg and eat loads of protein! currently sat here after a 4.5 mile run drinking a home made smoothie (strawberries, almond milk, spinach, and an activia yogurt in it) as well as 2 bits of ryvita with cheese. 

I eat very well - I don't like processed foods anyway. This is so frustrating!

😞

What about fat? Your body needs fat to burn fat... 

I'm an ecommerce and online business consultant who sits most of the day. Getting off my butt with a Fitbit Flex since 12/2014.
Best Answer
0 Votes
I eat fat too. Smoked salmon, nuts etc.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Our bodies are more complex than calories in vs out..

Sleep, hormones, food eaten the previous day.. have influence to regulate the nutritient intake for the day (eaten more the day before) but the body balances out by not being actually hungry at all.. or more hungry on some days when eating to little over time).

Our bodies have a natural weight range it strives towards to, when working out, there can be fat loss, but the weight loss of fat can be compensated by a increase in muscle. Weighing the same, but being leaner due fat decreases, gaining muscle but being leaner since muscle takes up less space than fat.

The weight range will naturally set itself when eating to nourish the body in the moment, trying not to eat more when not being hungry, not eating out of boredom or loneliness. Stop eating when satisfied and not stuffed, without counting calories.

Allowing to have any food in the moment, but in moderation. It's ok some days to recognize not being hungry anymore but still wanting to eat a piece of strawberry cake. Take a smaller piece, or a bit larger, but enjoy and recognize it's for the taste, our bodies will make up for it by being less hungry the next day.

The natural weight range is determined by genetics, exercise, food choices (aim for healthier foods most of the time which contains the nutritients the body requires while being lower in calories and being satisfied longer), eating less overall.

Eat anything you'd fancy but in moderation, but ask 'how hungry am I'? Does this salad looks more appealing or that piece of chocolat? The slize of pizza? Maybe even two slizes?

Eat until feeling satisfied but not stuffed. When eating, basing portions on hunger level, have anything you like but in moderation, it's always possible to eat some more when still being hungry.

Eating slower with non dominant hand, enjoying the taste, be satisfied quicker..

When eating something you / your body doesn't want first but actually wanting that more appealing piece of cake, go for what you really wanted: the piece of cake. Not going to eat the other food that looks less appealing anyway then, eating less overall.

When eating the first 'unappealing' food, then eating that piece of cake anyway.. that'll be extra unneeded calories over time.

Always eat what your body desires, it makes keeping satisfied quicker.

Calorie plan is a guidance, when not feeling hungry, don't eat more. Our bodies can be perfectly happy with x hundred calories left when having all nutritients it needs. It can be appealing to eat more when the plan says there's  x hundreds of calories left, try honoring the body by not eating more until feeling getting hungry again.

Baby Goal

Best Answer
0 Votes

Maybe you're body is comfortable where it is?

From my own experience my body needs a shock to wake it up.  I have my fitbit synced to myfitness pal; I was running and cycling, eating according to a plan.  I started in January and it took weeks for me to see a drop, getting myself up and going had been hard-going. However after a few weeks I did start to lose weight.

Only a few weeks ago I had plateaued. I'd cut out alcohol and all the simple carbs, I felt there was no where else for me to go.Then I started interval training, and I was running shorter distances in less time. I was sweating after these workouts, alot... still nothing. I was disappointed and had a bad week although I kept exercising and was seriously hungry. It was Mothers Day, I ate loads and drank plenty. Then to my surprise two weeks later the scales just dropped, and it's been dropping again since.

I still don't know eactly what happened, but I feel my body just needed a jolt out of it's rut.

Best Answer

Brilliant post StefanCSmiley Happy

Very detailed and perfect medically I would say.

Only the cats are missing .Lol

Regards

Dr.Gandhi
Best Answer
0 Votes

Well I have the same problem - sometimes I lose - what are you eating - mostly carbs - in other words - what do your calories consist of ?  Maybe you are one - like me - that cannot metabolize carbohydrates as well.

@SunsetRunner wrote:

Hi,

Sorry for the long post.

I really hope someone can give me some helpful advice here - I'm starting to go a bit crazy!

4 years ago I lost 5 stone, over the course of 2 years. I managed to keep it off mostly but put on a stone at the end of Summer 2014.

I'm tall (6ft) and I'm 34 years old (female) I'm pretty active - I walk 20 mins to work and back every day, and walk around town in my lunch break. That's normally the least active I get. I always either run, cycle, or play netball throughout the week (and quite often all 3 during a weekend)

Since Janurary I've lost 11lbs. Which isn't too bad. But there are weeks (mostly 3 in a row at times) where I lose nothing.

I posted ages ago on myfitnesspal with the same issue and one person that replied gave me the following calculation:

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

I'd love to do some more research... or find out if there's validity to this... does anyone know?

I'm wearing a fitbit for 2 weeks now (Charge HR with heart rate monitor) and I'm burning on average 2500 cals a day (no sport, but walking the 20 min to work and back) other days I'm burning well over 3000 cals.

I wore my Polar heart rate monitor with a chest strap and it showed the Fitbit tracker was showing a lower heart rate a lot of the time (and therefore estimating a lower calorie burn) So I may well be burning more than Fitbit tells me...?

I had a deficit of 5918 cals not eaten this week so should have lost...

Help me pleeeease!

Thanks 🙂

Please Join Us in Facebook Rebounding Rocks !
Facebook Walking Rocks !
Facebook Running Rocks !
Best Answer
Eating mostly proteins, complex carbs and healthy fats (oily fish, nuts etc)
Best Answer
0 Votes

Sometimes you hit that plateau and you just have to go with it - I have done that on and off - but I did manage to get 50 pounds off - now I am - losing two or three here and there - but I need another 15 to 20 gone !  

Please Join Us in Facebook Rebounding Rocks !
Facebook Walking Rocks !
Facebook Running Rocks !
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Jabrat,

Bodies and women's bodies especially, go through cycles due to hormones in which we retain more or less water. Stay hydrated every day. Keep sodium below 1500. Processed & restaurant food is often loaded with sodium. 

Log all your food so no extra cals sneak in without recording. I find that after a period of no loss I lose a lb to 1 1/2 lbs next week. If you are more active you may be gaining muscle which is dense. Check how your clothes are fitting.

Get enough restful sleep.

Be patient it is a long process for sustainable weight loss and good health.

It is a bit mysterious so don't get discouraged. Everybody seems to reach plateaus along the way.

Keep stepping,

Barb

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sounds like my smoothies but I put in 2 cups of kale, chard & spinach and 1 tb of hemp seed for protein and good fat as well. They are not real sweet but cool and healthy. 

I hit plateaus too and I'm past menopause. Hormones cause water storage during the monthly cycle. It is a bit mysterious but it sounds like all you need is a little more patience with your unique process.

I'm sure that you are building muscle which is dense from your activity.

Breathe away the frustration as it brings cortisol the stress hormone which makes it hard to lose weight. list all the things that you are grateful for and smile.

Check in next week and see if the loss doesn't continue. When we are within 15 lbs of a healthy weight it is harder to lose I have read. It may go a little more slowly.

Smiley Very Happy 

barbara

Best Answer
0 Votes

Jabrat so what are you eating?

In my opinion you can loose weight on any DIET. I remember back in the day when no fats and high carbs was around, I lost the famous 30 lbs that I seem to yo- yo between.

As we all know its better to eat and loose on what we call a ' way of living' 🙂 Yeah right! But actually when I lost my last 30lbs 2 years ago i did it by eating a vegan diet which actually was truly easy and did not leave me hungry at all. 

I then read the literature which said in actual fact vegans are not the healthiest people as often they are missing B12 which is found in animal protein so I added back some organic meat (which in actual fact I really like)  The problem for me is that  I feel that protein 'opens' my appertite but it could be just the extra variation of foods:)

HAving said this, I was shocked to notice that since April 25th last year I had crept up 12lbs - the cherry on the cake was that I was overseas visiting family and had an EXCELLENT time stuffing my face with chocolate bars by the slab, cream cakes by the ton etc. I had held my weight at goal for 2 years before.

Why I am telling you this whole story is that I returned home about 2 1/2 weeks ago and realized this sad state of affairs and set a goal to loose the 12lbs by this April 25 to be once again at goal weight. I have lost 5 lbs in this time so have 7 more to go to reach 135 lbs - I am 5'4 and 63.

What I am doing is stepping between 10000 and 12000 a day never more as it bothers my legs. I am trying to add yoga and swimming but not being that successful. The way I eat is vegan with some grass fed beef or wild caught fish. I avoid dairy. NO sugar or white stuff except cauiflower. Yes to healthy fats, olive oil , coconut oil, advocado, seeds and nuts in great moderation. I am not concerned with fats as I feel that it leads to satiation and I dont avoid salt in my food if its real salt such as Himalayan or similar.

I hope this has been helpful. In the end you need to choose a healthy way of eating that suits YOUR taste and stick to that. Its no good doing Paleo if you cant stand meat etc etc.

Let us know how you do.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @SunsetRunner .

I can tell from your original and subsequent posts that you have your food compostition pegged - you eat well, you eat healty foods, you stay away from junk foods, so you're doing just fine on that front.

You are also fairly active, with a good set of daily and weekly activities. So what's missing?

Well perhaps two things. The timing of your food intake in relation of to your workouts might be an issue. I also note all of your activities are cardio. Unless I missed something, I don't see any resistance training.

Cardio is fine, but it entails an immediate burn. So a good cardio workout 45 min. to an hour after a good meal will provide the enegy needs for your workout; and if intense enough, you will also be chewing at the fat reserves. With weight training or resistance bands, although the immediate burn is relatively low, the result is an increased MBR that will last for the balance of the day. If you Google it, you will find ample evidence, based on sound reserach, attesting to the fact that regular resistance training can increase your Basal Metabolic Rate by up to 15%.

So these are the two areas I would take a look at - the timing of your meals in relation to your energy needs (workouts), and introducing resistance training in your fitness regimen.

One more things comes to mind - you may want to consider incorporating an interval scheme in your step-based activities. If you go for a 30-min walk workout for example, avoid maintaining the same pace for the entire workout. Instead, walk at a brisk pace for say 3 min.; and then walk as fast as you comfortably can for the next 3 min; and cycle through for the hole duration of your workout. This will cause your heart rate to go up and down, it will keep challenging your metabolism and cause you to burn more. Same thing with jogging - the peaks and troughs should show some immediate benefit in your burn rate. Again, lots has been written on the benefits of interval training - so if you Google it, you'll get more insights. I use a small app on my iPod that provides audio prompts for the interval scheme.

Hope this helps. Have a nice day.

Smiley Happy     TW     Smiley Wink

(If this tip solved the problem for you, please mark this post solved, as this will be helpful to other users experiencing similar issues.)

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks for that. A lot of detail there!
I already do interval training (HIIT) as well as when I go running (sprint jog walk)

I do a few weights (free weights and also I use a pull up bar) but I probably need to do more resistance work... Thanks for your input! Much appreciated.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunner wrote:
Thanks for that. A lot of detail there!
I already do interval training (HIIT) as well as when I go running (sprint jog walk)

I do a few weights (free weights and also I use a pull up bar) but I probably need to do more resistance work... Thanks for your input! Much appreciated.

Glad I was able to help. I don't do HIIT per se, but try to incorporate an interval scheme wherever applicable (walking, running, cycling, rowing...) thus causing those peaks and troughs. It would be nice to hear back from you in a couple of months with an update. But you know, at the end of the day, yes, weight loss is important; but being happy with a few pounds extra is always a better choice than being leaner and not so happy. Smiley Wink  I still have 7 pounds to lose to reach the goal I had set for myself two years ago. But I'm not pushing it, because I'm happy with the gains I've made and the paradigm shift from a semi-sedentary lifestyle to a more active one, and from a diet too rich in sugar and carbs to a healthier one. 

TW

Best Answer
0 Votes
An update might be a bit more than a few months now - I fractured my ankle yesterday. So it'll be interval training on crutches!
Best Answer
0 Votes

Ouch! Wish you a prompt recovery.

TW

Best Answer
0 Votes