Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The age old question. How often do you weigh/when?

ANSWERED

How often do you find that you weigh yourself? And when do you tend to do it?

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Reflecting on it, I think I favor daily weigh-ins in part because my scale automatically uploads my weight and fat percentage saving me the time it would take to log those two metrics to fitbit and Trendweight. That makes it easy to focus on trends (as shown on Trendweight or on Fitbit where it reports weekly averages in the app) which tend to show true weight change/maintenance by averaging out the daily changes due to water retention or loss. 

Even if I didn't own a wi-fi scale, I still think weighing in every morning after you wake up is the best way to go.  Your stomach is at its emptiest then so you are closest to your real weight, and daily weigh-ins really help you stay motivated and focused on losing/maintaining weight.

Even if you are afraid of the scale just take the plunge.  You'll get used to it after a while, don't worry.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
13 REPLIES 13

Here is an older topic (2013) and here is another one (2015-2017) on this matter. My own answer to this indeed age-old question would still be the same as in 2013. I also still recommend TrendWeight, as mentioned in the second topic.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

I weigh myself once per week, first thing in the morning, after using the bathroom, and before eating or drinking anything.  If you have a lot to lose, or can't live with natural weight fluctuations (water due to salt intake, etc.), this may be the way to go.  Otherwise, if you want the data, and can live with whatever the scale says without it ruling your entire day, go ahead and do it daily.  Just my two cents!

Best Answer

Reflecting on it, I think I favor daily weigh-ins in part because my scale automatically uploads my weight and fat percentage saving me the time it would take to log those two metrics to fitbit and Trendweight. That makes it easy to focus on trends (as shown on Trendweight or on Fitbit where it reports weekly averages in the app) which tend to show true weight change/maintenance by averaging out the daily changes due to water retention or loss. 

Even if I didn't own a wi-fi scale, I still think weighing in every morning after you wake up is the best way to go.  Your stomach is at its emptiest then so you are closest to your real weight, and daily weigh-ins really help you stay motivated and focused on losing/maintaining weight.

Even if you are afraid of the scale just take the plunge.  You'll get used to it after a while, don't worry.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer

Recorded weight, every Monday morning before I eat, it's a good motivator for the week. If I don't feel I'm doing enough I might check it on a Thursday morning before eating, it can motivate to get of my lazy fat butt or encourage me stay on track.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I weight myself at the gym. They have a really nice platform scale. I workout 5 days a week, so that means I weight myself 5 times a week.

• I always visit the bathroom before I weigh myself
  • I'm always in my light-weight gym clothes
  • I weigh after my weight lifting workout and before my cardio routine
  • I removed my sneakers, and any gear I am wearing

Basically, I make sure when I weigh myself, I'm always under the same conditions.

Best Answer
0 Votes

A boogaboogabooga.

Apparently I can't delete my own post, i guess the forums need the traffic.

Smiley Tongue

Best Answer
0 Votes

I weigh myself every morning, without fail, as soon as I get up, except when I am travelling and there is no scale for me to use.  

I often don't want to  weigh myself (I went out to dinner/ pigged out last night! I am bound to have gained! I don't want to see it!  Better to weigh tomorrow! ) but in the end I always step on the scales no matter how much I ate the night before.  For me, it is better to know (and it is usually not as much of a disaster as I am thinking).  

For me, the surest way to gain weight is to avoid the scale.  

It's got harder to make myself weigh daily since I have a scale that syncs to my Fitbit account (and even worse since I have joined TrendWeight), because then IT GOES ON MY RECORD (like being arrested!).  I hate the idea of seeing it actually written down on my profile in case I have gained, or TremdWeight is disappointing.  But in the end I always weigh myself anyway.  

If I don't weigh myself I know that I will gradually sneak up.  If I do weigh myself, I know I might sneak up a bit, but i can get in control again quickly.

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer

Once a week for me. But that's me. I dont want to see daily gains etc

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

I weigh every morning. Following my daily weight gains and losses through my 2016 weight loss and its subsequent successful maintenance has taught me a lot about my body's responses to different stimuli. It's really been enjoyable watching my body go through its changes on a day by day basis. I don't think there's anything wrong with weighing on a weekly basis either - both methods are valid and have positives. 

Versa 4 through a Motorola Razr 2023 // Retired Charge 5, Blaze, Versa and Charge HR // Fitbit Fan since 2016, 50+ pounds lost
Best Answer

@IvanDaThug wrote:

Apparently I can't delete my own post

@IvanDaThug: you can’t delete your post, but you can empty it. Just select Edit Reply (from the menu symbol in the upper right corner), delele the content and hit Post.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

I have a scale at home and I try to weigh myself every day to keep track if I start to get better. I weigh myself every day, you can easily control your diet and put yourself in order as soon as you start to deviate from the norm. This way you can stimulate yourself to exercise more often. It is especially important for elderly people to weigh themselves often. They often stop playing sports, gain extra weight in retirement and their life is shortened because of this. A friend of mine who works for a company that takes care of the elderly says that very few of them care about their weight. I read an article once where it was said that after 60 years, if a person has 5 kg of excess weight, he shortens his life by 2 years.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I also weighed in daily, in the mornings, to be consistent. Now, less often.

That said, I never focused on if I lost or gained one day to the next. One thing I like about the fibit app weight tile is that it gives you the average weight for the week. Additionally, weight isn't the only important measure. Our fitness (I can run further, lift more, etc) is important, and we gain muscle as we lose weight. How we lose the fat varies for each person, and over time, so it helps (when the weight stays the same for a while) to be able to see changes in the thighs, arms, waist, etc.

CharlesKn | Mid-Atlantic, USA
60+, strength and cardio
Charge 5, Android, Windows

Best Answer
0 Votes

Told not to weight yourself as it is discouraging but the weight lost will show in your clothes i.e measurements. Don’t know if that is true but it works for me

Best Answer
0 Votes