Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying Again

Hi All:

I won't give my complete (sob) story. I'm turning 57. I've gained the "COVID-19" on top of being overweight. I'm 33% BMI, at risk. 

My main problem is mental. I'm just so fatigued and anxious all the time. But I've just signed up with a new doctor and insurance plan. I'm meeting a dietician next month. I've just gotten a phsyical and give blood tomorrow along with taking an echocardiogram. 

You ever get to that point where you just can't seem to get going? I've been in this place for far too long. 

So I'm trying to fight it. Just starting up a diet, got the fitbit Inspire charged up and repaired and ready. 

I've got to find an accountability partner in my life...someone to help me just stay on track.  Why is it so hard for those of us who are unfit to get fit? For me, it's a big part of the MENTAL / emotional factors that are the root of my own challenges. 

So here I am, just saying hello. Day one. going to get some steps in today and some cardio (cheap stationary bike) and try to eat low-carb (mediterranean diet) and see how far I can go this time.

If I can drop 20lbs by End of March/April, that would be quite an achievement. At this point, I'll take any improvement. 🙂 

One foot forward...seems like such a slog. But I'm slogging onward! Wish me luck!

Best Answer
5 REPLIES 5

I am in the same spot. Just keep slogging!!!  COVID got me up to 258.6 so far I am down to 250.3. I want to ski again so come December I will be on the slopes again.

Best Answer

Getting that bike was a good thing to do.  Now, get on it at least 10 minutes every day.  That was the goal recommended to me after a bad  attack of gout arthritis on one knee.  Doesn't that goal of 10 minutes seem doable, & it may make it more likely you will get on?  😊  It worked for me....................You know, we can choose what we think about.  When I was in a bad mental state I just HAD to do something different,  I decided that every time I started to think one of those same old depressing thoughts over again I was going to switch that off and think of something I was grateful for.  I always began with: I'm not a patient.  (decent health).  (2) I pay taxes (so I'm not homeless)  That is so much to be grateful for right there, but it is so easy to think of 100 other things.  Right?     If you donate a pint of blood, that is 600 calories more you can eat.   Maybe it would help for you to think up a small goal to try for?  (Not such a slog?)    Eat less sugar and flour and I'll bet you will lose weight.     Best wishes.

Best Answer

First give yourself a big pat on the back: you realized and admitted you have a problem,  you acknowledged you need help and are seeing a doctor.

Those are great first steps, and now you need a concrete plan.  Please don't call it a 'diet' that implies it is like taking anti-biotic-something you take when you have something wrong, and then stop when you are done, but never change lifestyle.   That is why we all gain it back, we think we can diet, then be 'normal'.    You are 57-I am 66- so think of this as a new lifestyle that will add years to your life and life to your years.    I call mine a food plan,it is what I eat every day.    I am low carb and many Drs recommend it, but instead of saying mediterranean diet do you actually have a cook book or recipes?  If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.     South Beach, Atkins, etc, pick one,  go through and figure out what exactly you will eat for each meal, and planned snacks.   I plan out a week, check cupboards and go shopping.     Try new recipes,  keep it fresh and fun.   Think of it as taking control of your health and your future.    Set milestones: 5 lbs, or 10 lbs or getting into a smaller size: pick a reward but it cannot be food.   A book, a movie, a better piece of exercise equipment, something that is really a reward.    Set a big goal for 25 or 50 lbs if you need to lose that much-a road trip, take a class in something you have never done: water colors, wood working, basket weaving.    Step outside of your comfort zones and change your life.

Please keep posting about your journey.   

Best Answer

I second @BASILCHIVES for the kudos! @Bubbawny give yourself props for knowing you need to do something and getting on with it. And agree that it isn't a diet. It is a lifestyle change. I don't recall what commercial it is, but it talks about a body at rest vs a body in motion. Your body is actually designed to move. The reason we are built how we are and have the "operating" system we have is because we are meant to fuel ourselves properly and then move with the fuel. We choose to do things against the intended design. It amazes me how we treat our possessions better than ourselves. We buy cases for our phones, ensure we have the right charges for our electronics, use the proper gas and oil in our cars, but ourselves- ehh who cares. Treat yourself like you do your possessions. that's the lifestyle change. 

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer
i just wanted to thank you all for the kind words and encouragement. i'm doing well. exercise is better. still need to move more. but i'm doing more exercise than before. diet is going really welll. down overall about 7 lbs, most of which is likely water weight.

trying to form new habits. even if i can drop ten to fifteen lbs, i'm hoping that makes a difference

my a1c is borderline. i really want to get that down.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer