Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How often should I weigh in?

ANSWERED

Best Answer
8 BEST ANSWERS

Accepted Solutions

Most people say you should weigh once a week on the same day at the same time. I am, however, scale obcessed and weigh every morining. 🙂 That does make for a bit of distress, when the weight goes up, but keeps ME focused.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer

I weigh every morning too for the same reason - it helps you get to know your natural body weight variations and what causes them.  I find that I learnt to live with them and didn't fret too much after a while as everything evens itself out and you see your progress downwards (provided you're cutting back, of course).

Best Answer

Every day works for me but I have to remember that on that basis a lot of the weight change randomizes out due to a lot of factors.  I weigh daily and set goals for weekly.

Best Answer
I agree with what the others said! Weighing in every morning after you wake up is the best way to go, it's when your stomach is at its emptiest so you can know your real weight. It'll really help you stay motivated with losing/maintaining weight. You'll get used to it after a while, don't worry! 🙂

Best Answer

I weigh myself once a day, first thing in the morning. I have a Fitbit Aria (expensive, but great), which means readings are automatically logged into my Fitbit account. The Aria also tells me how fat I am, which I actually find more useful now that my weight is mostly stationary.

I may step in on the scale at other times of the day, but I always delete the readings from my account, so as to keep records consistently logged at the same time of the day.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

HAHA, I am an every morning weigher too. 

Inga

Best Answer

@Inga wrote:

I should add I only step on my scale once, and accept whatever it tells me. I've noticed some people (especially women!) step in multiple times, until the scale gives them something acceptable to them. Then they complain the scale is not accurate, because it displays different values each time Smiley LOL

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Best Answer

@Tizmelanie wrote:

It is personal preference.  Personally, I weigh in once a week (Sunday morning).  But one piece of advice I can give, from my 6 month journey and 65lb loss so far, don't rely solely on the scale.  Pick up a sewing tape measure and log your measurements (neck, chest, waist, hips, thighs) weekly.  I have found numerous times the scale would say I only lost .1lb for a specific week but I had lost .5" or more per measurements.  As you start exercising more you can be losing fat but not losing weight as your body builds muscle.  Muscle weighs more than fat for the same volume.

Best Answer
0 Votes
306 REPLIES 306

Most people say you should weigh once a week on the same day at the same time. I am, however, scale obcessed and weigh every morining. 🙂 That does make for a bit of distress, when the weight goes up, but keeps ME focused.

Best Answer

I weigh every morning too for the same reason - it helps you get to know your natural body weight variations and what causes them.  I find that I learnt to live with them and didn't fret too much after a while as everything evens itself out and you see your progress downwards (provided you're cutting back, of course).

Best Answer

Thank you for your input!  I have been told not to weigh in everyday, as it can be discouraging.  I tend to disagree...

Best Answer

That is the same reason I tend to weigh in more often, to stay focused and try harder.  But it can be a bit discouraging.

Best Answer

Every day works for me but I have to remember that on that basis a lot of the weight change randomizes out due to a lot of factors.  I weigh daily and set goals for weekly.

Best Answer
I agree with what the others said! Weighing in every morning after you wake up is the best way to go, it's when your stomach is at its emptiest so you can know your real weight. It'll really help you stay motivated with losing/maintaining weight. You'll get used to it after a while, don't worry! 🙂
Best Answer

I weigh myself once a day, first thing in the morning. I have a Fitbit Aria (expensive, but great), which means readings are automatically logged into my Fitbit account. The Aria also tells me how fat I am, which I actually find more useful now that my weight is mostly stationary.

I may step in on the scale at other times of the day, but I always delete the readings from my account, so as to keep records consistently logged at the same time of the day.

Dominique | Finland

Best Answer

Inga
Best Answer

@Inga wrote:

I should add I only step on my scale once, and accept whatever it tells me. I've noticed some people (especially women!) step in multiple times, until the scale gives them something acceptable to them. Then they complain the scale is not accurate, because it displays different values each time Smiley LOL

Dominique | Finland

Best Answer

I weigh once a day, in the morning before my shower.  We're in a family fitness competition, so I don't want to be surprised by a lost week where my weight varies up more than a pound or two.  Because I've stayed on top of it, I've been able to continue to lose weight through the holidays, down 4 lbs as of today since the day before Thanksgiving.  My birthday was in between T-G and X-Mas, so I've had a lot of temptation.  But staying honest is easier when the scale is there as the truth teller.

Best Answer

@Tizmelanie wrote:

It is personal preference.  Personally, I weigh in once a week (Sunday morning).  But one piece of advice I can give, from my 6 month journey and 65lb loss so far, don't rely solely on the scale.  Pick up a sewing tape measure and log your measurements (neck, chest, waist, hips, thighs) weekly.  I have found numerous times the scale would say I only lost .1lb for a specific week but I had lost .5" or more per measurements.  As you start exercising more you can be losing fat but not losing weight as your body builds muscle.  Muscle weighs more than fat for the same volume.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Very good advice.  The thing I found out personally, after waiting a week to weigh in, sometimes it would be disappointing, thinking it should be more.  But the measurement thing is a GREAT idea!!  Thank you!

Best Answer

GREAT job!!  I don't think I could have done it with all the temptation!!

Best Answer
I'm really considering the aria, is it good quality? My husband and I are overweight, but neither of us is over 275 lbs.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I weigh once a week when I'm trying to lose weight so I don't get discouraged if the scale doesn't budge in a day.  I weigh every day when I'm maintaining so I hold myself accountable.

Best Answer
Yes, we've been really happy with it. It recognizes each of us and makes it really easy to log the daily weigh in, since the scale sends my info directly to the site. It also gives you an idea about body fat percentage, but consider that a broad estimate. Don't take it seriously.
Best Answer

I personally weigh myself everyday.  This keeps my weight and eating top of mind, otherwise I start fooling myself into eating more each day.  There is research that suggests that weighing one self is a good weight loss strategy in itself, see: http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/daily-weigh-ins-an-effective-weight-loss-strategy. 

Best Answer

I weigh in mornings after I have worked out only.  Which when I was really hitting the gym was about 6 days a week.  It worked well for me...not so great when I quit working out like I should.  I am back to working out so will have almost daily weigh ins again.  I think everyone needs to do what works best for them. 

Best Answer

I only weigh in once a week. I can't handle the daily ups and downs. IT's too stressful! But as you see, lots of people weight themselves daily. So do what you feel comfortable with.

Getting back on track by taking one day and step at a time!
Best Answer