Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Walk or Run?

ANSWERED

Apologies if this is a very basic question but what is more beneficial mainly if the target is to loose the weight?

Walking or Running?

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Either, @Arnav2017, depending upon your fitness level, your comfort level, and your goals.  The important thing is to get moving.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
4 REPLIES 4

Either, @Arnav2017, depending upon your fitness level, your comfort level, and your goals.  The important thing is to get moving.

Best Answer

I agree. It depends on what you like as well.

Me I will run sometimes but I prefer Walking a lot better.

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

Running is always the best. The faster your heart rate the more calories you burn, the healthier your heart is and many more. Not anyone can just start running though. I'm talking about 2-5 miles nonstop. Even thin people who are normal weight cannot run well if they're out of shape when doing distance running. I started from walking then jogging and finally running. Start training and become a runner. You'll enjoy it. Running is the mother of all exercise.

Best Answer

First of all, any activity is better than no activity. Do what’s enjoyable and sustainable for you. If running feels like a chore and it puts your joints at risk, then it’s not going to be good for you.

If you look at walking and running purely from an energy expenditure point of you, running burns more calories than walking per unit of time. OTOH, many people can easily walk two hours straight, but would have a hard time running (even at a mild pace) for more than half an hour. Also, walking is an activity you can do everyday without a need for recovery, while intensive running may need recovery.

I’d say neither is better or worse (for fat loss), each have their benefits. I personally do both, but I prefer walking. I definitely burn more calories (in absolute terms) walking, simply because I walk an average of 1.5 hours per day, while I only run 20-30 minutes per day.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer