Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weight Loss Plateau?

ANSWERED

Ok, So I've been exercising 7 to 6 days a week for about 2 months now. Lost 47lb so far.

Was 292lb now 245lb. Age: 26 Height: 5'8

I've hit the plateau. But I don't get it. I weigh in every Monday. I lost 5 lb the week before. Then the following week I lost 0 lb

My routine is 3miles of walking/running intervals on the treadmil with inclines. Plus P90X.

Yes I do it 7 days a week, 6 if I'm busy on sat or sun.

My calorie intake per day is around 1200-1500. If I had to explain what I eat, I would just say HEALTHY!

I am aware that every 3500 calorie is a lb lost. So how is it possible that I lost 0lb after 1 week of hard training and a low fat/calorie healthy diet? I'm sure my calorieIN/CalorieOut should result to more than 3500 calorie burned weekly. Not even half a lb that I lost. 

I've already read many articles about weight loss plateau. All I see people talk about to get pass it is change your work out routine, work harder, cut more calories. But I think I am already doing enough. P90X has a different workout everyday. If I consume less than 1000 calorie that would be insane. Plus I can't do 5miles and 2 P90X videos per day because I have a life.

Even though I've hit the plateau, I am nowhere near quitting, just frustrated. Just wandering how is this possible? How did you get pass this? Any tips/advice/story is appreciated. 

Hoping for some replies. Thanks for reading.

Best Answer
0 Votes
23 REPLIES 23

@AndyDandyPandy

Your calorie intake seems too low! I would increase for 1 week and then scale down again.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@BJaupaj I'm eating enough thank you though. I guess we're all different. Something we do have in common is that no matter whose health, we're all gonna die 🙂

Update: Incase new people read this thread. I am not in a plateau. Just losing weight slower than I was before. I am still eating the same amount, but I added more carbs to my diet. I'm still right around 1200-1500 calories daily. Once in a while it may reach 2k(cheat days). And I am not starving myself 🙂 I love food way too much to do that. I just eat many healthy things full of nutrition that makes me full quicker and longer that is low in calories. 

Some week I lose none, the following week I may lose up to 4lb. It happens. I understand now, it's not easy, it takes time. I know it's not the standard way of losing weight but I'm doing my best to lose weight the quickest possible while still maintaining my health because I have a quota(Job/Personal Reasons). By saying quickest way possible I mean the workouts I do daily, I don't do half assed workouts, I do maximum reps and I push it to the limit everyday. So as long as I eat for energy/nutrition and not just for pleasure, I'm not gonna worry about how many calories I should eat though I do count my calories on fitbit. So far it's been nothing but success. As long as this continues I won't change anything on my routine. And I'll say it again, we're all different, and I'm not starving myself for rapid weight loss.

Thanks for reading.

Best Answer

Two things seemed to contribute to my weight loss plateaus. I hit about 4 of them on my loss of 72 lbs.  Coincidentally they happened around the big number; 200, 190, 180, etc...  I found that sleep and calorie intake had the biggest impact on my fat burn.  If I was not getting 7.5 hours of sleep, I did not lose the weight.  Also, when I increased my calories to just about 750-1000 below my burn (my burn fluctuated by more than 1,000 calories on any given day) then I was surprised by a decent weight loss.  Take a look at your sleep, water intake, calorie intake and stick with it!

Best Answer

This post is pretty old, over 2 months now. But as far as my experience, plateaus happen only to those who are too obsessed with weight and ofcourse those who want to lose weight too quickly.

I don't even think I was ever in a plateau. It was only weight fluctuation and that made it seem like I didn't lose any weight.

Tips to avoid weight loss plateau? Stop being so obsessed with your weight. Weight is nothing but a number. Even if you somehow lose 10lb the next day you are still the same you as yesterday. You won't be any thinner. What truly defines if you've any progress is waist size/measurements and that won't happen the next day or week. 

I feel when you can truly live a healthy life w/o worrying about if you've lost or gain weight is when you can be successful and truly change for good. Though I still weigh myself, I don't let it bring me down because I gained a few or stayed the same. I'm still happy to see the numbers drop. I went from weighing myself everyday to weighing only when waking up on a super empty stomach with the least amount of water in my body and after I take a huge dump.

For anyone who thinks they are in a plateau, stop weighing yourself. You're obviously frustrated and is obsessed about your weight and that can drive you into losing hope in yourself, stress, starvation, depression, which can lead you to ending your journey. Continue to do what is good for you and just live your life w/o going back to your unhealthy habits. In time, you'll find your clothes getting looser. That is when you can truly feel rewarded. You're getting thinner. You're changing. That is the real change/progress/result. Not some numbers on the scale that went up or down on your weekly weigh in day.

To me weight loss plateau doesn't define if you're doing something wrong, it just happens because it can. Though your weight may not change your body is still burning fat as long as you're in a deficit and living a healthy life. It takes time to tell if you're truly burning fat or not. If 3 months go by and you don't see any change then you seriously need to rework your plan because scientifically you might have a rare disease(genetics Smiley Very Happy) or last but not least(sarcasmSmiley LOL) be lying to yourself. (You're obviously lying to yourself about your journey because 3 month is long enough to see even the slightest change).

Quick Update: Since this thread has been Necro'd

I went from a waist size 42 to 34 from beginning to now. Just recently I've notice that my 34 size is loose, I can barely walk anymore with them on, either I hold my pants up or use a belt. It might be time to try a waist 32.

Since my last post on this thread, it was 9/14. I was 231 lb then according to fitbit. My last weigh in was 200.2 lb. SCORE!!! 

This is the progress of 2 1/2 month. 

Thanks for reading. My pleasure if any of my advice from my personal experience has helped you. Good Luck!

Best Answer
0 Votes