Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weight Loss and Exercise with Back Problems

I am trying to loose weight, just over 100 lbs. Through diet I have been able to loose 25 lbs in just over 3 months, but I know that to get to the final goal I will need to add exercise on regular bases. The issue is, I was hit by a drunk driver about 20 yrs ago and it has left me will nerve damage in my neck and shoulder and a pinched nerve in my lower back. The nerve in my back has gotten to the point were, at times, I can hardly use my right leg. I am wondering if anyone has any ideas on things I could do to relieve my back making it easier to walk and get the exercise needed to loose the weight.

Best Answer
0 Votes
5 REPLIES 5

I am trying to loose weight, just over 100 lbs. Through diet I have been able to loose 25 lbs in just over 3 months, but I know that to get to the final goal I will need to add exercise on regular bases. The issue is, I was hit by a drunk driver about 20 yrs ago and it has left me will nerve damage in my neck and shoulder and a pinched nerve in my lower back. The nerve in my back has gotten to the point were, at times, I can hardly use my right leg. I am wondering if anyone has any ideas on things I could do to relieve my back making it easier to walk and get the exercise needed to loose the weight.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sorry to hear about your accident.

You really need to ask your DR what you are allowed to do.

But water might be an option. When I was injured I was allowed to walk in the pool and its a great exercise. But do check with your DR

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer
0 Votes

@looking2change wrote:

Be aware too - the exercise isn't for weight loss.

The diet is.

Exercise will help transform the body though if the right thing, so that when the fat is gone, there is something underneath to show.

Just as you lost weight with diet, you could continue that - be be very careful trying to keep losing too fast when you can't do any good exercise - it will cause muscle mass loss - and I'm betting you can't affort to lose any, because you'll be hard pressed to do anything to get it back.

Though ..... what kind of resistance training can you do?

Ask the Dr that.

I'm guessing things that don't compress the spine perhaps, and using resistance bands takes care of that.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for the ideas. I will talk with the Dr again and get his recommendations.

Yesterday was a good day, was able to get on the treadmill for 2 10 mins sessions. 20 mins is better than none right.

The exercise, or ideas, I am looking for is for the "toning". I am hoping that with the weight loss and toning that the problems with my back will improve as well.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@looking2change wrote:

Thanks for the ideas. I will talk with the Dr again and get his recommendations.

Yesterday was a good day, was able to get on the treadmill for 2 10 mins sessions. 20 mins is better than none right.

The exercise, or ideas, I am looking for is for the "toning". I am hoping that with the weight loss and toning that the problems with my back will improve as well.

There is no such thing as toning really, it's a marketing word.

Basically, you want something there when the fat is gone, some muscle. That means resistance training, hence the band suggestion. You can hook to door or chair and not engage the back that much in compression, if that's the issue.

For the skinny gals in commercials you see doing something with pink dumbbells for 20 reps without an care in the world - just ask them to hold their arm up and shake it. Ya, skinny fat, not muscle.

And I'm sure less weight would help the back in some way, even if just allowing you to move easier.

And yes, 20 minutes broken down is better than nothing.

In fac, I'd suggest don't even push the risk of 10 min. 5 min at the start of every hour.

If you have the ability to do some body weight squats properly for your back, like getting something on floor - 10 of those after the walk would be great too.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.
Best Answer
0 Votes