Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weight lost & fat %?

ANSWERED

Hi, I am losing weight and my fat % is rising is this a normal action as to weightloss/fat ratio?

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Welcome to the community, @Loveiseternal, and congrats for your weight loss!

I’ll assume your body fat % estimate (stress on estimate) comes from a scale like the Fitbit Aria that relies on bioelectrical impendance. If so, just be aware of the inherent limitations of the method used. In my own experience (4.5 years of almost daily use) with the Fitbit Aria, BF% tends to move consistently with weight over longer periods of time (several weeks to several months). During shorter periods of time (a few days to a few weeks), BF% and weight may move in opposite directions.

It’s very unlikely that you’ll be able to lose a significant amount of weight while becoming fatter, just like it’s very unlikely you’d be able to gain significantly while becoming leaner. So if you’re consistently losing weight, you’re on the right track, no matter what your scale says about BF% for the time being.

You may want to use body measurements, to confirm you’re really losing fat. Waist circumference is a pretty good proxy for fat loss. If you dropped 15 pounds of body weight, you should see your waistline shrinking.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
1 REPLY 1

Welcome to the community, @Loveiseternal, and congrats for your weight loss!

I’ll assume your body fat % estimate (stress on estimate) comes from a scale like the Fitbit Aria that relies on bioelectrical impendance. If so, just be aware of the inherent limitations of the method used. In my own experience (4.5 years of almost daily use) with the Fitbit Aria, BF% tends to move consistently with weight over longer periods of time (several weeks to several months). During shorter periods of time (a few days to a few weeks), BF% and weight may move in opposite directions.

It’s very unlikely that you’ll be able to lose a significant amount of weight while becoming fatter, just like it’s very unlikely you’d be able to gain significantly while becoming leaner. So if you’re consistently losing weight, you’re on the right track, no matter what your scale says about BF% for the time being.

You may want to use body measurements, to confirm you’re really losing fat. Waist circumference is a pretty good proxy for fat loss. If you dropped 15 pounds of body weight, you should see your waistline shrinking.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer