Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What weightloss looks like in a graph

I thought I would share what my weightloss graph looks like.

It’s not a straight line down, and some days it’s not easy.  But the overall trend is what keeps me going on the days it stays the same or goes up.   Those articles you see about lose 5kgs a week, , or I lost 20kg in a month?  Rubbish.   Sustainable weightloss has its ups and downs.  

5428D2C8-E08E-4EFD-B8D2-82D4AE6440D5.png

Best Answer
6 REPLIES 6

I think this needs to be bounced up for new folks to see the fact that weight loss is not linear, and using a trending app is great advice to keep from thinking a 1 day water weight fluctuation means something needs to be done differently immediately for actual fat loss.

I'll add - most those trending apps allow inputing other measurements - and since scale weight is nothing about fat weight, very useful to take the body part where you lose fat last (or gain first), and start measuring and trending it too.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.
Best Answer

@TraceSPN   You might sometimes wish you were losing faster, but I'll bet you don't have the loose skin problem  that the people have after bariatric surgery and losing extremely fast.   My husband lost about 100 pounds in about a year, due to ill health, but he didn't have loose skin.  Congratulations on your good progress.  Good job!

Best Answer
0 Votes

It's good to be reminded of this now and then. I have enjoyed a pretty rapid weight loss from the end of September since starting going for daily walks and reducing caloric intake. I've been losing approximately 1kg a week until early December where my weight loss has stalled and fluctuates up and down week to week. 

My food choices have been pretty poor as it's December and I've come onto 12 hour shifts at work so I have been finding it much more difficult to prepare and eat food at home. I've got a gym membership now so hopefully some strength training will also kick me off. I really just need to get back into eating low calorie dense foods.

Best Answer

@dbfuru wrote:

It's good to be reminded of this now and then. I have enjoyed a pretty rapid weight loss from the end of September since starting going for daily walks and reducing caloric intake. I've been losing approximately 1kg a week until early December where my weight loss has stalled and fluctuates up and down week to week. 

Is that still a reasonable rate of loss, do you still have over 23kg to lose to get to a healthy weight?

Because you could merely being stressing your body out badly and gaining water weight, because now your diet would be considered extreme.

Not a great state for body to be in of course - it'll adapt, you'll lose muscle mass, ect.

It's better to purposely slow the rate of loss than have the body force it on you.

And extreme diets is the foundation for the over 80% that fail to reach or maintain goal weight for a year. People can't sustain that way of eating.

Though by new years resolutions there must be many that enjoy doing this every year.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.
Best Answer

My initial weight in late September was 135kg, I am now 125kg so I have lost 10kg. I don't feel like I have been purposefully starving myself, my daily calorie intake on my 'best' days where I eat a lot of whole foods is usually around 1900 calories, but most days I eat about 2300 calories, however my calorie burn usually sits between 3500-4000 calories according to Fitbit, depending on the day. At work I often do a lot of walking and moving around, plus I usually do a 45min to 1 hr walk plus strength training when I am home. Lately I have been having some pretty bad days and have been having 2600 or so calories, usually if I have gone to the gym. 

My appetite has been pretty well behaved up until now, now that I have started strength training I am finding myself feeling hungry more often. I may need to look at my macros and try and get more protein.

My end game goal weight is about 90kg. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

One problem about regaining weight that many people might not  know is how to return to what they consider normal calories,   as soon as they reach the desired weight.  The body can't adjust to the normal load suddenly.  To avoid gaining all the weight back the person needs to add calories back above the diet amount at only 200 calories at a time.  After 2 or 3 days with the addition of the 200 calories, if there is no weight gain they can add 200 more for 2 or 3 days to make sure they are not gaining etc until they are back to 10 calories per pound or whatever is a maintenance number.   Believe me, this is vey important.

Best Answer
0 Votes