Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fitbit and 21 day fix

I just started using my fitbit this past Monday and i have restarted the 21 day fix program. I'm looking for others that might also be doing 21 day fix.  I'm 52, live in northern Vermont. I'm in the middle of the dreaded menopause and i'm hypothroid so losing weight is a real difficult thing to do. I guess i'm just looking for some buddies near and far so we can help each other stick with it.

Best Answer
43 REPLIES 43

Hi there -

I saw your post and felt inclined to reply. I just turned 50 this year and like you, am hypothyroid. However, I have not yet started menopause. 

I have had my fitbit for 2 years and love it but often struggle with staying motivated to work out. I have looked into the 21 day fix but have not yet bought it. Do you like it - has it been working for you? I would be happy to look into it if it has worked for you.

JBV

Best Answer
0 Votes

I saw your post and wanted to say hi to a fellow Vermonter.  Although I moved south 2 years ago, Vermont will always be part of me.  

I've looked into the 21 day fix and it sounds interesting.  I'm trying to do something similar with real food, but I don't count calories (or at least concentrate on just the calories).  

I'm also hypothyroid and it make losing weight even harder considering i take medications that cause weight gain.  It's not fun.

Just wanted to show some support!  keep on keeping on.  Anything is better than nothing, right?

Best Answer

I have the 21 day fix program but my knees do not like it so I can't do it right now so I got the Piyo program and will be starting it on Monday. I will be 53 in a couple of weeks and it seems like I have been going through menopause forever! In 2009 I was 115 pounds and wore a size 4. Now I'm 153 pounds and wearing a size 14. I had always been rail thin all my life and could eat whatever I wanted and never gain a pound so I really don't know what I am supposed to do to get rid of this weight. Hopefully with the Piyo I can build my strength up and then add the 21 day fix. I'm going to Cancun for the first time in April and I don't want to look like a beach ball! Good luck and you can add me or whatever if you like. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Ladies and welcome to the community. I am afraid this is going to sound bratty, but to be honest, I don't know of anything that works in 21 days. Its a gimmick that is selling and I'm sure it works. But it works because the calories are being monitored. You can do that yourself by buying a food scale. Losing weight at any age is hard and it takes commitment and behavior changes. I am 45 so I think I have a few more years before menopause hits and I know what is easy for me today, will be more difficult then, but over the past 18 months I have trained my brain to want the food my body needs and not what my brain wants. I weigh and count and work out- eat less, move more. I have deep rooted behaviors around good nutrition and movement. Of course try what you think you need to to accomplish your goal, but don't waste your money so someone else gets wealthy on what you could have done for much less. Best, E.

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

@emili wrote:

I am afraid this is going to sound bratty, but to be honest, I don't know of anything that works in 21 days. Its a gimmick that is selling and I'm sure it works.

Amen to the above. "xx day fixes" are the fitness/nutrition equivalent of "get rich quick" schemes. Long-term commitment is what brings results. 

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
Agreed BUT I do best when I plan for the week ahead so I've taken some of the concepts and roles them into my eating plan.
Best Answer
It is not very nice to to tell someone that their plan to get healthy is a gimmick ...
The 21 day fix teaches portion control, they have containers, you bought a scale
They have exercises to do at home, some go to the gym
They offer a coach and groups to help you reach your goal, work thru tough times and support one another
They offer hundreds of ideas to eat healthy, spice up food without salt, and prepare foods so you are not bored with it.
It takes 21 days to form a habit. They are not saying you will lose all your weight in 21 days, but rather learn a healthier way of eating.
Fitbit costs money, there are cheaper ways to monitor your activity?
Best Answer

"It is not very nice to to tell someone that their plan to get healthy is a gimmick ..."

Perhaps not, but its better to be honest than to give people bad advice to protect their feelings.

"Fitbit costs money, there are cheaper ways to monitor your activity?"

The flex is cheaper than the 21 day fix....

As far as they go, the 21day fix is actually alright, in that its not openly harmful, 

Charge HR 2
208lbs 01/01/18 - 197.8lbs 24/01/18 - 140lbs 31/12/18
Best Answer

The 21 day fix is just like any other diet plan. It will work wonderful for some, and not so great for others. I have been on several different diet plans.  I spent over $500 on a fad diet plan and ended up gaining back all my weight plus an extra 20 pounds. Now in my life, this time was the first time I decided to try and figure it out on my own. I collected the facts, found out the data on myself and set up a reasonable weight loss goal and calorie guideline, and vowed to spend 3-4 days a week working out after work. In 6 months I've lost 62 pounds. And the best part, I'm not on a "diet".

My advice is that if this is something you want to try, it won't hurt to give it a shot...worse thing is you spent money on something and you didn't find that it fit your needs. I hope it does work for you but in the case you find it isn't the best fit, don't be discouraged because what works for everyone else may not work the same for you.

Best Answer
I've done most of the diets myself with no real results.

Now all I really "subscribe" to is eating real/whole foods 90% of the time and avoid fast food/convenience foods.

But I've also learned that I'm a planner so meal planning and portioned foods help me stick to my goals. So In that way, the 21 day fix is great for my situation.

But if it helps someone else, who am I to put them down for trying it?

I've incorporated many diet concepts into my way of eating.

Instead of telling someone NOT to use a particular method, why don't we ask the question how can this help a person and use it to learn about ourselves and the reason we want to be healthier.

I can't stand it when someone preaches there's only ONE WAY to anything. Every body is different, every mind is different. Let's stop cutting down others and encourage them instead.
Best Answer

so interestingly enough, there was an entire write up about the 21 day fix on MSN yesterday or the day before. Numerous nutritionist were consulted and all of them said it is not worth the money. I am not saying it doesn't help or someone shouldn't try it, I am saying that behavior science says that a long established behavior does not change in 21 days. This program says it does. It is up to the individual to make up their minds after doing research. Eating right and within caloric parameters with activity is a change in otherwise learned behavior. It takes longer than 21 days. Draw on past dieting experiences and you will confirm what behavioral scientist are saying. Having said all that, for some having structure and a daily plan created by someone else is the only way they can stay on track. Go for it and honestly nothing but success in your journey.

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer
0 Votes

In regards to that article there is already an article out there saying that article is full of holes.

Why is the 21 Day Diet Blowing Up Online - And Does It Really Work?

The (Real) Truth About the 21 Day Fix

For me I do not like logging my food, I tell myself every day I will get better at it ... I don't. I like the containers, no measuring, no scales. If it fits I can eat it! I find it easier to prepare meals for my family and then take out my portion so I am not preparing different meals for me at dinner time. It has helped me to learn clean cooking.

Why do you care if someone uses little plastic containers to help them acheive their weight loss goals instead of a scale or measuring cups? Shouldn't we just be happy that a person is taking a step toward a healthier lifestyle that includes a calorie deficiet diet and daily workouts?

Others may spend money each month on a gym membership and I may make a single investment for  workout DVDs which feature 10 different workouts, a different one for each day of the week and enough to double up on some days.

Counting calories is something everyone trying to lose weight has dealt with. Everyone knows in order to lose weight you need to consume less calories. For me, I hate calorie counting so this has been a system that has allowed me to be successful for the first time ever.

The 21 Days is a starting point for me, when the 21 Days is over ... I will start again!  I will do it over and over until it becomes a habit, until I have learned which foods are good and which to avoid and until I know what a true portion is without the containers. 

Each of us will (hopefully) find what works best. If the 21 Day Fix is something that a person wants to try, cheer them on, encourage them! If the 21 Day Fix works for someone then congratulate them, or simply move along.

And while it is structured (just like Fitbit Dashboard or My Fitness Pal) how it is created from day to day is up to each individual.

Quoted from the real truth article ...

This program, like any other plan, will work for you if you make the choice to work for it.

Best Answer

My 21 Day Fix is in the mail as we type.  I'm your age as well and i'm going to be starting it as soon as it arrives.  I'm mainly trying to lose weight to feel healthy again and hopefully one day ditch the meds I'm on for cholesterol and high blood pressure.  I love my fitbit for a push to keep moving during the day.  I'm happy to meet you and wanted to say, I'm here to do it along with you! 

Be yourself! Everybody else is already taken!
Best Answer

I know a lot of people have an opinion about putting a number of days on a diet and i agree but i think they are getting the wrong idea about the 21 day fix program. The idea behind the 21 day fix is they believe that it takes a good 21 days to change a habit. 21 days is just the begining. It's a new way of looking at food and exercise. I think it's a good program for anyone who needs structure.

Best Answer

Nice, I'm starting fresh on Monday. I have let other interfer with my journey and keep me from doing what i need to do for me. But this time i will stay strong with a little help from my friends.

Best Answer

"Counting calories is something everyone trying to lose weight has dealt with. Everyone knows in order to lose weight you need to consume less calories. For me, I hate calorie counting so this has been a system that has allowed me to be successful for the first time ever."

I think thats the key

21 day fix is a crude calorie counter

And in its defence, it is fairly honest about that.

Charge HR 2
208lbs 01/01/18 - 197.8lbs 24/01/18 - 140lbs 31/12/18
Best Answer

I agree.  I need to do it for structure.  I have a friend and her husband doing this plan and they are melting the pounds off.  One of the things she shared that has helped them tremendously is following the details of the plan and getting a visual of what a portion truly is and not what they always considered a portion to be. They are just learning as they go and it's working.  Seeing their success and knowing them personally has really ignited a fire in me to give it a try.  Why not?  I'm looking forward to giving it a go. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I did Weight Watchers for almost a year and now i"m counting clories.  The 21 day fix sounds like a good way to jumpstart weight loss, or a way to switch things up when you don't have time or inclination to count calories or points.  I think I'm going to look into it.

Best Answer
I'm officially starting the 21 Day Fix today. Here we go! Weight Watchers is great too!
Best Answer