Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

gastric bypass/sleeve buddies

Hey everyone, im looking for people who have or get a gap or sleeve and use a fitbit to get active and loose weight.

Im 36, mom of 3 boys weight is 128.5 atm... 2 weeks ago i started at 131.

first appointment is august 4th with a doctor to start this gap/sleeve journey

Looking for people who would love to inspire me haha and are in the same sort of position as me

Best Answer
0 Votes
24 REPLIES 24

131? 

Pounds? Kilograms? Stones!?

As you've already demonstrated that you can lose weight, is invasive medical "treatment" really indicated?

This community is full of incredibly inspirational people who've fought and continue to fight the good fight against weight with truly amazing results. I've not encountered any who've used a surgical option. 

The good people of this community help to keep me on the right path, perhaps they (we) can help you too?

Good luck with whichever path you choose to take. 

Ultimate Goal: Mens sana in corpore sano
Best Answer
Sorry!! Kg 😊

Verstuurd vanaf mijn iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

I agree with @Dave001. The surgery is not magic and has a huge impact on your eating habits for the rest of your life (only small meals at a time). Losing weight is done by eating less calories than you burn, no matter if that is with or without surgery. The surgery helps in that you cannot eat as much at a time as before. However, if you start increasing the amount you eat over time again you negate the effects of the surgery. So you will need to have that discipline in place by then anyways. If you are able to lose weight without the surgery, then I strongly suggest to give that a try first and seeing you already lost some that suggests you are able to.

Karolien | The Netherlands

Best Answer
0 Votes

I agree with those asking why you feel that you need the surgery.  I lost 120 pounds several years ago and it really wasn't that difficult.  I briefly considered surgery to help me lose weight.  So happy now that I did not go that route. 

Best Answer

I think everyone should stop telling Tammie your opinions. How dare all of you impose your views on why YOU think it isn't a good idea for HER!! Have you walked in her shoes??? Have you lived HER life??? I can NOT believe how insensitive strangers are to one another just because they sit/nay HIDE behind a computer screen. I can guarantee you all, that you certainly would NOT have the GUTS to say all that you said to her face. She said she's LOOKING FOR PEOPLE WHO HAVE OR WILL GET A SLEEVE OR BYBASS, and WHO WOULD LOVE TO INSPIRE HER. No where did she say she wanted to be degraded or talked down to or that she was putting her medical information out there so complete total strangers could pick her apart. Shame on all you self righteous rude people who are putting in your 2 cents when it was never asked for. Didn't your mother tell you if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all??!!   
Sorry Tammie that you were treated so harshly, I'm not getting a sleeve or bypass, although if I could I WOULD!! You obviously are making a choice for your life, and you and only you, know whats best for you. I wish you luck and happiness through your journey. And don't put up with bullies!!!

Best Answer

Wow!

That was an unexpected response. 

I really, really hope that @Nicholine holds a minority view. As such of course, I would vigorously defend her right to express that view.

However, I'm of the opinion that the point of discussion groups is discussion. A place where all views can be exchanged in a safe environment in the comfort of knowing that people will respect each other even when they disagree. As such, all views which do not incite or condone unlawful acts should be welcomed. 

As for me, if I come here asking for advice about undergoing a potentially dangerous, life changing and probably unnecessary surgical procedure, I would urge you all to make every effort to use well reasoned, eloquent and respectful arguments to dissuade me. 

Cheers!

Best Answer
Thanks alot for your reaction!
Its very double i do understand the reactions but its not à choice i made in à day... its been à years long struggle...
My mom weights arround 400 pound she cant not do alot...
its something i dont want for my life or for my kids to grow up with.
I want to be healty again, No pain... and be happy.

That is all

Best Answer

Did she ask for your opinion or views on if you thought her idea to get a sleeve was a good one? That would be a no. Again, you should keep your opinions to yourself unless they are asked for and especially if they are negative in nature, keep them to yourself.  

Best Answer

@Nicholine wrote:

Did she ask for your opinion or views on if you thought her idea to get a sleeve was a good one? That would be a no. Again, you should keep your opinions to yourself unless they are asked for and especially if they are negative in nature, keep them to yourself.  

Thank you for expressing your opinion so clearly @Nicholine.

I understand your viewpoint.

I do not agree with your view that  it is pertinent to keep silent when someone entertains publicly the idea of doing something that is perceived as potentially harmful. 

I believe that as members of a mutually supportive community we have a moral duty to help each other, even if that help may mean giving advice that goes counter to someone's hopes, wishes or desires.

It should be remembered that we are all free agents and as such can decide independently whether or not to act upon advice freely given. 

I have no desire to continue this circuitous conversation any further, so I will simply wish you good day. 

Best Answer

Silly me.  I thought:

"Looking for people who would love to inspire me haha and are in the same sort of position as me"

might mean that anyone else who had had as much weight to lose and had either had the surgery or looked into having the surgery were welcome to reply.  As a woman who used to weigh 240 and was also the mother of three small children when I had that much weight to lose, who looked into having the surgery, decided against it, and then lost 120 pounds without the surgery, I related to her story and meant no disrespect by sharing my story.  I guess I was wrong.  My mistake.  I am new here as well and I doubt I bother posting again.  I have never had my head bitten off in a public forum before.  I wish you well Tammie1985.  Sincerely I do. 

Best Answer
I did not want this post to go like this 😑

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Tammie1981 wrote:

I can quite understand that. 

I'm still fairly new to this community, but here are a few thoughts to help:

1. We are all here because we face similar challenges.

2. We all want to receive support from and offer support to those who face similar challenges.

3. Advice is invariably offered with the best of intentions. 

4. Advice is food for thought. It is  often based on experience, research and understanding. 

5. Unfortunately some advice is occasionally based on negative experience, poor quality research and misunderstandings!

6. We all remain free to think and act as we choose. With that freedom comes the responsibility to decide whether advice is worth following and indeed whether or not to follow it. 

7. In my short time here, I've learned that my fellow Community members are a loving bunch. They will freely offer their support, friendship and respect. That love is unconditional. If you choose to take a path that others warned against, they will still wish you well and be there for you. 

8. By entering this Community, you have shown a huge amount of courage. You should take pride in that.

Good luck!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Tammie1981 wrote:

Nor did I. As I see it, those are discussion boards where people share their point of view and opinions as long as they respect each other. Discussions are actually promoted. So yes, I do dare to give my point of view and opinion. What those boards do not support is disrespecting one another and attacking other people. As far as I am aware it is ok to have different opinions and to talk about them in a mature way.

In the end it will be your decision to make @Tammie1981 and it won't be an easy one. I won't respect you any less if you do decide to go on with the surgery.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@JoannaPW

I sincerely hope you do post again! Sounds like you have a lot of experience to share with the community and can relate to people who are going through a similar journey.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Ow I will post again 😊

I dont one mind others opinions as long as they are respectful 😊

And yes I'm sure about my decision, and until I have my gbp I will do my upmost best to loose weight on my own 😊

And walk as much as I can at the moment

Best Answer

I haven't seen too many people on here who have had gastric bypass or gastric sleeve. There are a few groups on the website MyFitnessPal though if you don't find enough people to chat with here. 

I would never judge someone's decision to have weight loss surgery. I was doing an extreme diet back a few years ago, but, a cousin of mine had gastric bypass at the same time. She's been at goal weight for months now, runs 5k's and half marathons and I'm still here trying to get started. 

I still don't think it's the right choice for me, but, it's a choice that makes a lot of sense for some people. 🙂

Best Answer

@Tammie1981 as someone who has supported  friends through bypass, I can say with certainty that you are not making this decision lightly. I imagine if you it were easy for you to lose weight, you would have done so and you would have kept if off. The surgery is not an easy fix contrary to some opinions, its painful and at times gross and unless you learn, truly learn nutrition and commit to activity, it results in failure. I have seen it time and time again. Initial weight loss, then nothing, then gain. What the body goes through is insane.

I think that's where the posts about avoiding this intervention come in. It isn't judgement. It isn't look at what I can do, its an attempt to maybe offer a different view- last chance view - of what if it were possible to do it on your own.

I know that you are required to lose some weight before surgery, and that is where the optimism comes- if you can lose 5, 10, 30- what if you can lose all of it...

I hope you lose weight however you decide to do it- and I hope you let us know how you are doing and let us cheer your accomplishments.

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

Thanks a lot, I will let it know ofcourse!

i did not make my decision en a week indeed, and did a lot of research also with people who had the surgery them self... pros and cons... I'm still in the beginning of this process and can stop it anytime if I get doubts or whatever.. but for now no doubts yet 😊

Best Answer

That is exactly my point @emili. For this surgery to be a success you have to learn about nutrition and commit to activity. However, this would also lead to weight loss if you don't have the surgery. It is this learning about nutrition and commitment to your diet and activity that will make you lose weight and you need it in both cases. Therefore, my opinion is to avoid the risks and pain of surgery. However, it might be the extra help you need @Tammie1981 to get there. I cannot judge that for you.

Best Answer
0 Votes