Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

intermittent fasting

Is anyone here trying intermittent fasting? I have just been doing the 24 hr fasting 3 days a week for almost a month now. I have not weighed myself yet to see if I have lost any weight yet. I decided I will only weigh myself once a month. I will say that my jeans feel loser around my belly and my energy level is much improved and my mind seems much clearer as well.

I will keep everyone updated if they are interested. My first weigh in will be this Saturday.

Best Answer
74 REPLIES 74

Hey, what do you think about this method to lose 10 pounds in a week? https://www.ketowiz.com/how-to-start-a-keto-diet/ 

Best Answer
0 Votes

First of all, the link you provided doesn’t make any promise one would lose 10 pounds in a week. At least I haven’t seen such a claim being made.

Secondly, switching to a very low-carb diet (and especially to the ketogenic diet, the most extreme form of low-carb) may result to a sharp initial drop in weight, but you need to understand it’s a one-off effect (you cannot expect the same drop many weeks thereafter) and it’s mostly water weight (i.e. not true fat loss) that you will regain if/when you reintroduce more carbs in your diet.

Anyone serious about weight loss should look at long term sustainability instead of instant results / gratification.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

That's awesome, let us know :).   I've had great results myself doing it and walking some friends through it, but we did something closer to 16:8.  I've actually just published my first ebook on how I did it - if you think it may help you I'd be happy to send it to you for free, i'ts just a short read though, 32 pages.    let me know if you're interested !   The only feedback I've had on it so far has been from friends and family too so maybe it would be good to hear from someone else who's actually doing it lol 

Best Answer

@JAShel wrote:

I've had great results myself doing it [...] but we did something closer to 16:8. 

Before sending your 32-page e-book all over the place, why don’t you tell us about what you did and the results you achieved here? The purpose of the community is to have discussions within the community. We have great forums for that.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Best Answer

I did bulletproof coffee years ago, and although it doesn't sound very good, it really is tasty! And because you're putting fat into your coffee, you'll obviously satiate yourself longer than if you drank black coffee or coffee with half and half.

Best Answer

My husband did Keto and IF - 5:2 when we came back from Europe last August. He can go 24 hours without eating, whereas I cannot. I am just starting the 16:8; I'm on day 2. Anyway, week over week, he lost weight. He didn't lose 10 pounds in a week. It was more like 1-2 but it was consistent and overall, he lost about 30 pounds. I would have to agree with Dominique that the first week will be mostly water weight, but that doesn't mean you can't be successful losing weight. I do have one problem with Keto and it's only because I have a friend who did Keto for years and started having some problems. She went to her doc and was told she wasn't getting all the nutrients she needed for her body. Keto is extreme, and I'm also told (by a personal trainer) that it was originally created for diabetics. I'm heading to Bali in 3 weeks and all the exercise in the world and trying to eat healthy hasn't helped me get rid of all the fat I need. I initially lost 10 pounds, but I've been stuck there for a while - hence the 16:8. Right now, I'm about 140. I weigh in every Friday, so I'll know exactly how much I weigh tomorrow and hopefully can lose about 10 pounds in the next 3 weeks before we leave for Bali.

You can always give it a try and see how it makes you feel, but if you do have any health conditions, maybe talk to your doctor first? 

Good luck!

Best Answer

@SunsetRunner wrote:

Right now, I'm about 140. [...] hopefully can lose about 10 pounds in the next 3 weeks before we leave for Bali.

Let me add my unsollicited comments on the above Smiley LOL

- even without knowing how tall you are, I’m almost sure you’re in the normal weight range at 140

- do you think your husband will love you less if you are 140 rather than 130?

- do you think you can’t have a great time in Bali even if you are 140 instead of 130?

- the fact you are already reasonably lean makes the case for losing weight (if, in spite of all, you have decided you want to lose some) in a slower, more gentle way than as aggressively as you’ve planned (3+ lbs per week is a lot for someone your size). I would personally advocate losing 10 pounds in 12 weeks rather than 3 weeks, unless you want to be a chronic yo-yo dieter.

Dominique | Finland

Best Answer
0 Votes
Much Love, Lisa
Best Answer
0 Votes

So - no I’m not a good weight for my size. My doctor keeps handing me info on losing weight. I’m not reasonably lean. If I were, I wouldn’t have a problem! And yes I know muscle weighs more than fat per square inch. I’m very self-aware and have been exercising for 20+ years. Maybe my husband will love me less, maybe he won’t. But I love me less and that’s what’s important - how I feel about myself. I know that I will not enjoy myself in Bali as much as I would if I were thinner. I also know that I’m being aggressive and possibly unrealistic, but it’s what I have to do. I’m not a chronic yo-yo dieter. You don’t know me - so I’m telling you right now that you are wrong. There is more to the story, but that’s not something I care to share on here.

Best Answer

OK, it’s just that in order to create the 1650 calories daily deficit you need to lose 10 pounds in 3 weeks, you will need to eat very little (e.g. around 1000 calories) while being extremely active at the same time (e.g. 20k+ steps everyday). It’s quite tough to do this for three weeks straight, day in day out.

Dominique | Finland

Best Answer
0 Votes

I’m very aware, thanks. I’ll let you know my end weight on or about July 7th.

Best Answer

I would love to get your ebook thank you very much. I have just started IF 16:8 and I love it. Thank you. My email is laura.momof2@hotmail.com

Best Answer
0 Votes

Actually from my research, I've discovered IF is supposed to do number of things that are actually sort of magical:

-growth hormone is increased during fasted states

-decreased insulin production

-increased insulin sensitivity

-been shown to improve numerous heart health risk factors including blood pressure, total and LDL cholesterol, blood triglycerides, inflammatory markers and blood sugar levels 

-many people report appetite control they previously have not experienced, probably due to everything above.

I'm doing 16:8 right now and it's sooo much easier to stick with a 1,200 calorie diet than before. I will try to eventually go to 19:5. But it's kind of hard with a family.

Best Answer

I am doing

1) Initially no IF, just meeting Fitbit goals (and bit above) like 10K steps/2800 cal etc daily targets since july.

2) Started skipping Lunch for a couple of months. (morning peanutbuttor/jam sandwich, evening some wheat tortillas & spicy curry). (Continued (1) above)

3) Sept first two weeks started 16:8 (Continued (1) above).

4) Oct on wards, OMAD(One meal a day.. just lunch).

Totally lost 25 pounds so far.

My initial weight target is 159 pounds(which is max allowed weight for my height),which I am almost there.

By the end of this year, I may reach 150 pounds.

From Jan onwards

1) Maintain the weight(if possible reduce it but not take extreme practices for it).

2) Build muscle.

Stopped 85% of junk.

Office snack is pumpkin seeds and soaked almonds. 🙂

On weekends, once in a while hit the full happy family meal. 🙂

Scale: Aria 2 - Upgrade from Aria
Tracker: Sense from Versa 2 from Charge 3 from Alta
Read my Health Journey, please rant, suggest, comment on this: https://tinyurl.com/iGotHealthy
Best Answer
Wow sounds great! Thanks for your post. Good for you. I feel pretty good so far. Only been just over a week.
Good luck with your journey.

Sent from Outlook
Best Answer

Hello all, new fitbit user here, longtime (few years) of on and off fasting, have begun alternate day fasting since mid-October, in the form of eating 4 days per week, and doing 3 x ~34 hour fasts per week. I read about alternate day fasting but I'm satisfied with fasting 6 of 14 days rather than 7/14.

I'm not doing this strictly for weight loss. There are myriad benefits of fasting, which anyone can read about regarding IF. (Instead of searching "intermittent fasting + ketosis", search "IF + insulin sensitivity" or "IF + autophagy". ) Ketosis is a little trendy and lots of hype and noise there. Not that there's nothing to it! But it's just one pathway activated by IF.

So - 😁- having said I'm not doing this strictly for weight loss, it sure would be nice! I was prediabetic before I started some fasting a few years ago, now I'm borderline prediabetic (based on HgbA1C). I have lost weight before doing an extremely strict low-calorie low-carb diet based on 12 step food addiction, no sugar, no white flour. 

So - thank you if you've read this far - my first month of eating 4 days/week, I lost 7 lbs and 2.5" of waist circumference. Since then I have surprisingly gained back 3 lbs. It's kind of frustrating to go through the hunger and feelings of weakness and faintness (which are getting better as I go on but still) of fasting, and get bigger!! 

I have my theories, related to too much carbs for my body*, having some wine and wheat which I know from experience aren't ideal for me; maybe my metabolism slowing down from fasting. At the same time I'm puzzled and kind of bummed. 

* I know there are some people who don't buy the carbs idea and say it's all about calories. However, I am talking about both personal and clinical experience here (I'm a clinician. The "only calories matter" isn't right for everyone - it's usually a theoretical opinion, and is contradicted amply in the research literature.) In my opinion it's both carbs and calories, and which is the most efficient way varies by person.

I plan on sticking with it and giving it more time but curious if anyone has had a similar experience, or if they found a tweak that got them back on track.

Thanks so much!

DH

Best Answer

@djhnd wrote:

Instead of searching "intermittent fasting + ketosis", search "IF + insulin sensitivity"

I’m glad to see "insulin sensitivity" mentioned, as opposed to just "insulin", usually depicted as the bad guy / the root of all evil.

Insulin sensitivity is negatively affected by excess body fat (especially in the abdominal area), insufficient physical activity and poor/lack of sleep, among other things. Intermittent fasting seems to be a popular way of eating with folks who have developed insulin resistance. If that approach allows them to improve their insulin sensitivity, it’s great!

Dominique | Finland

Best Answer
0 Votes

@djhnd  Since you have been doing IF off and on for a while you might be interested in a study reported to the LA Times by Melissa Healy. (In todays newspaper)    The result or conclusion was that  they just changed the time of eating with 19 people and their health improved.   Their version of Intermittent Fasting was every day eat during a 10 hour window.  They did that for 12 weeks.  They lost an average of 3% of body weight, reported more restful sleep, reduced belly fat by 3%.  Their blood pressure fell & cholesterol improved.  And in the 12 people whose metabolic function was already impaired there was improvement in 2 key measures: fasting glucose & hemoglobin A1c.  All this was without any increase in exercise or activity.  The people were willing and able to follow the regimen often well beyond the 12 weeks.  5 continues the schedule and 7 a little less stringently.  But generally there was better adherence than other ways of dieting.  This is a more sustainable life-style strategy.  Now they are going to do a much larger clinical trial.  Maybe this is the easiest way?   I think I may try this. 🙂

Best Answer

@djhnd   I failed to say in the last post, all the people in that study had pre-diabetes or diabetes.  I just want to lose a little weight easily.  I weigh 113

Best Answer

@Glenda wrote:

you might be interested in a study reported to the LA Times by Melissa Healy. (In todays newspaper)🙂

Here is the link to the article: https://www.latimes.com/science/story/2019-12-05/time-restricted-eating-intermittent-fasting-metabol...

and the link to the study itself: https://www.cell.com/cell-metabolism/fulltext/S1550-4131(19)30611-4

Participants in the study were all diagnosed with metabolic syndrome.

Dominique | Finland

Best Answer