Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

intermittent fasting

Is anyone here trying intermittent fasting? I have just been doing the 24 hr fasting 3 days a week for almost a month now. I have not weighed myself yet to see if I have lost any weight yet. I decided I will only weigh myself once a month. I will say that my jeans feel loser around my belly and my energy level is much improved and my mind seems much clearer as well.

I will keep everyone updated if they are interested. My first weigh in will be this Saturday.

Best Answer
74 REPLIES 74
Thank you so very much for the information!!

Much Love, Lisa
Best Answer

@Dominique @SunsetRunner   Dominique I just look in here occasionally and I don't know how anything works.  Could you tell me where  they tell things that I could go to read or could you tell me why it says "Flag Post" ?  What does that mean?  Everyone has it.  Also what is that 1 of 61 messages etc.  And if you do the little gear and float something I expected that to make it at the top of the list rather than behind really old items but it doesn't.  ??  I think all new things should be ahead of really old things that no one is responding to.  Are you going to get an email since I did the @ and am replying to you.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes, since you tagged (*) me (and @SunsetRunner ), we both receive an e-mail notification that looks like this:

2019-12-16_1709.png

OTOH, since we both took part in this particular topic, we also get notified each time the topic gets some new activity. The notification looks like this:

2019-12-16_1712.png

This is with the default behaviour, i.e. when the following setting is ticked:

2019-12-16_1714.png

If you don’t want to receive a notification, just untick the above setting. Note this won’t affect posts in which you were specifically tagged.

(*) I believe "tagging" is the term used in this context. "Flagging" is used to attract the attention of a moderator, usually when improper (e.g. spammy) content was posted by someone.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

@Dominique  Right under you had the best response 371 times, it says "Flag Post"  And you didn't say anything improper.  And I have checked Email me when someone replies but they don't.  It doesn't matter though because I check in to see anyway.   You have evidently made 6469 comments but somewhere it said 1 or 2 of about 64 ???   So what is that about?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have reached my 2019 health goals on time.

I have started documenting it here(Work in progress), if it helps someone: https://tinyurl.com/iGotHealthy

Scale: Aria 2 - Upgrade from Aria
Tracker: Sense from Versa 2 from Charge 3 from Alta
Read my Health Journey, please rant, suggest, comment on this: https://tinyurl.com/iGotHealthy
Best Answer

It is interesting that everything I mentioned disappeared.  LOL   Good!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Agreed. I have tried intermittent fasting before and found it quite easy. I work nights so a lot of my fast is when I'm sleeping. I do 18:6, from 4pm to 10pm I can eat. On my days off I don't eat until 10pm but when I work overnight I sometimes do. I fell off the eating right and exercising regularly when I had to pick up additional shifts to pay my daughter's tuition. I'm trying to get back into the swing now. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

U. of Illinois in Chicago just did a study  to see if fasting and eating in a 4 hour "window" was better than fasting and eating for a period of 6 hours.  The 1 - 7 PM eating period worked exactly as well as the 4 hour eating period.  The people hod only zero calorie drinks during the fasting.  During the eating they could eat anything they wanted but just the time limit caused them to eat 550 calories less per day.  They didn't count calories.  They didn't test longer eating windows.   They were doing this every day.   If someone really hates counting calories this might be good for them, or even try an 8 hour eating period.  

For me,  eating extremely low calories 2 days  or even 3 days a week  seems lots easier.  But whatever works that you can stick with is good.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Great comment, @Dominique. Try as they may, no one's reinventing the wheel here. Weight loss always requires a caloric deficit. Intermittent fasting is just another fad method of achieving that deficit.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

@TR51  Where is the Dominique comment you are responding to?  I don't see it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Glenda I didn't even notice when I was writing the reply to Dominique,  but it's a very old comment, 09-13-2017 04:53. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@TR51 It wasn't your fault.  Almost all of these topics start with very old stuff first and you can't fix it, so you have to check the date every time, and click on the little arrow on the far right.  Very tiresome.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@TR51 I just read that in a fasting state the body doesn't release the hormone insulin.  Without insulin the body doesn't store fat & instead breaks down fat you already have for energy.  That is why intermittent fasting works well.  !!!  this on livestrong.com "How to lose body fat".  !!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

But then when you do eat, you are eating more in the short window, and insulin stays elevated for longer.

So it's actually a wash either way if the same calories and macros are eaten either all day long or in short window.

Whether your insulin stays elevated after many small frequent meals for short time, or after a few big meals for a long time.

It's about what allows a person to adhere to an eating plan.

Many discover eating many small meals makes their blood sugar a roller coaster up and down, and during the down they feel tired and hungry even though they just ate. Not helpful.

Others may discover a couple big meals does the same thing soon after they eat, so no good there.

Same as some do better with more protein, or more fat, or more carbs in their meals.

IF is a just a tool that has turned into a fad with click-bait sites offering yet another miracle weight loss method to get your eyes and sell ads.

And many have done natural IF through their lives and they didn't even know it - because breakfast made them tired so they skipped it.

And many have gained fat that way.

All about making the tool work.

When insulin goes up fat release from the cells is stopped, insulin causes carbs to be sent to the liver and muscles for storage, and protein off to muscles and other systems needing amino acids.

That's why it's called a growth hormone.

For energy source after the meal (that's when insulin goes up) you use the fat already in blood stream and what's eaten, and if no more storage for carbs you'll burn that until blood sugar drops back down and so does insulin.

Now back to normal 80-90% fat burning mode we are all in between meals.

You still store fat when there is no insulin, that is incorrect to say you don't store it. But you are also releasing fat so it doesn't matter.

Interesting new big study on it - and potential negative to it:

https://youtu.be/7o_Qd7tcB3E

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.
A large recent randomized control trial examined whether intermittent fasting (IF) was super for fat loss compared to a normal non-IF diet approach. This study was different for a few reasons. For one, the lead researcher, Ethan Weiss, lost weight using an IF approach and hypothesized that IF ...
Best Answer

@Heybales   Thanks for the video

Best Answer
0 Votes