Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

logging foods

Hi,  Although many foods are on the drop down screen, most do not apply to me - never hear of half the places.  So good advice from my cardiac rehab nurse is to log "components" - it is far more accurate.

For example, instead of logging a tuna sandwich that can range from 200 calories to 600 or more (maybe that one comes with fries!), I log: 1 piece of bread (open face sandwich), 4 oz tuna, 1 tablespoon light mayo, 1 tablespoon chopped onion...etc.   Far more accurate.

Also, I take advantage of entering foods I cook myself where I know the calorie count by simply "adding" it and noting my name as the supplier/vendor.  Next time I have that meal, it is there for me.

(24 lbs down in 3 months !)

we never really grow up - we just learn how to act in public.
Best Answer
5 REPLIES 5

Great job!  Keep up the good work!

Best Answer

I was seaching for a way to know nutional value of recipes. I found on MyFitnessPal where you enter the ingredients of a recipe with the individual values for each ingredient and how many servings your recipe makes. Then it will calculate the nutritional values of the finished meal. The web address is http://www.myfitnesspal.com/recipe/box

Best Answer
0 Votes

I lost weight when I was with WW and I logged all my foods I can not seem to do that on Fitbit. I don't know why. I love my fitbit the tracking of the steps and sleep keeps me going. I feel if I could just do the tracking of the food I would start losing again. Any ideas? It would show me where I am at 

Best Answer
0 Votes

You can sync your Fitbit with MyFitnessPal (and I believe now with Weight Watchers) and let either of those sites be your "Master" site.  Both are very good at calorie counting.  MFP is free and also syncs with a number of other apps if you happen to use those.  I've tried both MFP and WW and had success (and failure) with both.  I'm currently using MFP because it gives more more information that I find useful compared to WW but either can work.

Best Answer

My cardiac rehab nurse advised me in order to get the highest level of accuracy, log your meals "component by component", that is, if you have a tuna sandwich don't just scroll down and log any tuna sandwich (which may range from 100 cal to 400 cal for various reasons) - instead, log the components: bread slice or slices, tuna (double check the can chart), mayo (light or regular), onions etc etc.   Then if you have that homemade sandwich regularly you can add it to the FitBit log list by "adding" it and when it asks the name of the store or restaurant, put in your name (or a code unique to you).  Next time you have it, there it is at the top of the drop down box.  Then you can "star" it as a favorite.

I also use a Salter scale ($20 or so) that not only measures weights but has 999 built in items where it give you the calories.  For example, baked potato....it will suggest idaho, white wax, with skin, without skin etc.  You then refer to their 999 item chart and punch in that number and you have a calorie count.

we never really grow up - we just learn how to act in public.
Best Answer