Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A lot of things I don't understand about the Health Metrics and Daily Readiness Score

I am working with a fitbit employee but I want to ask if anyone can help me understand.  Sorry just like with technology I'm not all that savvy to all of these terms.  For Health metrics I can understand most but what the heck is skin temperature.  I have dipped as low as -5 to as high as 6.  Room is always at 78 degrees.  I tried to google (which is supposed to be our friend) and get the standard 98 degree jargon.  so this confuses me as the sheets are always hot when I lay on them.  

Now for the second question, how are these zones determined that affect our DRS?  I mean seriously, washing dishes puts you in cardio zone? Pouring a cup of coffee is 2 minutes cardio?  None of that makes sense.  If that is the case I'd be sitting on the couch all day.  As I'm on a Macbook Air and the photos are somehow not being sent over from phone to macbook and problems uploading here I'm not sure what to think or how to proceed.  I know that I sound like I'm complaining but I just want to better understand how all of this is calculated.  I thought that fitbit was supposed to determine whether it was a workout or everyday activity.  My resting HR is now 73 so you mean to tell me that my HR jumps to 126 pouring a cup of coffee?  If I was in that bad of shape I wouldn't have a cardio fitness score of almost excellent.  Something is totally off about these numbers which is also a shame since we have ability to share these stats with our doctors.  

Best Answer
11 REPLIES 11

@MoonstoneWolf I think you have an issue with your heart rate monitor on your Fitbit.  I definitely am not in cardio when I pour a cup of coffee or do dishes.  I only end up in cardio when I'm running or doing some sort of workout.  So either you need to see a doctor about your heart rate or your Fitbit is defective.  

Heather | Community Council | Eastern Shore, AL
Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.
Best Answer
0 Votes

For the temperature question, the fitbit measures your temperature while you are at rest to give you your core temp. Just like if you take your temp with a thermometer, the room, the sheets, the beverage on your nightstand all have a temperature that has nothing to do with your internal temp. Your air temp may be 70, but if you are running a fever your core temp would be over 98.8. It is normal for your temp to fluctuate just like your HR does. If you see enormous spikes, it may be something you discuss with your doctor or chalk it up to menopause if it applies. . As for your HR, reset your tracker. I don't know which one you have, but most reset by holding in the left button until you see the logo, then let go. It may correct it if something is wrong with the readings. your resting HR isn't influenced by spikes of activity. your resting HR is literally what it is while you are at rest- meaning asleep. if your resting HR was much lower with a different tracker, the reset may help. 

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

Sorry that really isn't what I was asking.  How can I have a normal internal body temp, room at 70 and yet skin temp is -2 F.  wouldn't I be dead?  

Best Answer
0 Votes

@MoonstoneWolf no.. thats not your temp. Its the number below your baseline. So you were 2 degrees cooler. If you look at it daily that number will change 

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

I guess I'm not clear.  How can my skin temp be -2 degrees when the blankets were so hot on me I had to kick them off.  Pretend you're talking to a  2 year old because I don't understand all of this jargon.

Best Answer
0 Votes

During the very first 3 nights you had your Fitbit, it measured your average Skin Temperature. Let's call this average temperature X.

Now every night it measures variations, so if your temperature is -2 it means it X-2 degrees. If X was 98 then it was 98-2=96. If you have +6, then if X was 98 it means you had 98+6=104 degrees.

It is just a measure of the variations, centered around an average measured at initial setup. 

For your heart rate and AZM, either you have a defective Fitbit (Very likely) or you have a health problem (less likely). First let's assume Fitbit is defective and get the Fitbit guy you are talking to to send you a new one. 

Best Answer

Ok I think I understand now.  So it has nothing though to do with fever or anything correct?  like 104 degrees skin temp (not the way you measure for fever?)  The Heart rate was correct btw per the doctor.  I'm still having a few issues since my car accident 3 months ago which is slowly getting better with exercise.  Thank you all.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

I honestly did not know about this. Thank you for the infooo 😄

Best Answer
0 Votes

@MoonstoneWolf Are you using a Sense by any chance? My wife uses a Sense and she has spiked of 150 when doing dishes!! It's simply a terrible device.

Best Answer

Fitbit inspire two. Sorry for spelling I have a torn ligament in my arm and so I cannot type. Serious dictating

Best Answer

But the doctor did tell me that it was correct in my case.

Best Answer